“Didn't stay, but was shocked at the rudeness of the staff.”
Review of Mercantile Hotel

Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #115 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Didn't stay, but was shocked at the rudeness of the staff.”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My boyfriend and I came over on a trip to Dublin for 3 nights. We decided to find accommodation when we got there (which we did easily - at the Travel Lodge, which I highly recommend.)
We passed by the Mercantile and decided to enquire about a room. The blonde woman at the front desk was absolutely rude to us, saying that we should never have come to Dublin without pre-booking accommodation, that we'll never find anything in the city this late and didn't we know, the day before had been 'Arthur's Day.' Upon hearing this, we asked what Arthur's day was, and she was completely short with us. "Guiness day, don't you know?!" ...
Needless to say, we legged it out of there and never ever intend on going back. As I mentioned, we stayed at the Travel Lodge - who have clean, spacious and comfortable rooms. I would suggest that if you are ever lucky enough to find yourself in the wonderful city of Dublin that you give the Mercantile a miss.
There's nothing worse than rude staff, they can put a damper on your whole holiday.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you enjoy rude staff.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Britney B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
new york
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Woman working there was very nice, forgot her name now. She was bit nuts but she was friendly and honest.
Room was clean, spacious and more than expected.
I would stay there again. Simple, non pretentious and Irish, I guess you can't get more Irish.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My sisters and I stayed here for 3 nights. The room was your pretty much average, budget hotel room with the old looking carpet, but the bathroom was actually surprisingly quite nice and clean.

The location was definitely a plus. I don't think I ever had to take public transportation to any of the popular destinations in Dublin (it's about 25 min to the Guinness Storehouse on foot).

The staff here are a plus. There was an especially very nice, very lovely and helpful front staffperson who looks like the Irish Twiggy. After getting caught in the rain outside, she helped us to a room right away.

Now my sisters and I slept fine because after all the travel and fun in Dublin, we pretty much passed out each night. But if you want a peaceful and very quiet night's sleep, this probably would not be the place for you. Actually, don't stay in the Temple Bar area if you want peace and quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank YunCK
Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We spent one night here in pokey little room 405 with heavy dusty velvet hangings over the small double bed and on the window making this room very dark. The furniture very old and scraped. The bathroom is small with rusty metal fittings, lighting throughout this hotel is very dark which always makes me suspicious of what is being covered up. Sleep was impossible with the street noise and loud music until after 1am. The breakfast is served in a bar setting with no selection of cereals or juices. As a well travelled Irish person I am disappointed that visitors to this country are being offered such poor quality hotel service. and calling it 3star.

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you are looking for clean bright surroundings.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

co Clare Ireland
Reviewed 8 September 2013

stayed here for a night with sisters for a girly shopping trip to dublin and night out in the town and i have to say staying here made our day even better ,the staff in this place are the most friendliest iv have ever met in any hotel ,and bar manager paul i think his name is could not have been more helpfull to us , the rooms are clean ,the hotel is close to all the shops and pubs in city centre , my only downfall would be there is no hotel parking but that is to be expected when right in the heart of the city

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My friend and I were staying at a HORRID hotel, so bad that we went walking about to find somewhere else to stay. We headed for the area we wanted and liked the looks of The Mercantile. Upon entering the gleaming, wood-paneled lobby with a massive arrangement of star-gazers, we were greeted by the loveliest woman at the front desk. She fixed us up with a room immediately, we got the last room. PHEW! Even though this is clearly an older hotel it thankfully had an elevator and I was pleased there were no funky smells (my personal pet peeve). Our room was very clean with a view overlooking Dame street. I was impressed by the good-sized bathroom for a budget hotel, it even had a tub! The beds were fine. Now, if you are looking for very quiet stay, this may not be the hotel for you. Our room was on the Dame St. side which overlooks a hustling and bustling Dublin, afternoon and evening. That's what we wanted, to see and experience the city and people. Apparently rooms on the alley side are quieter. The location of the hotel is premium, minutes walk to anything, Temple Bar, Trinity College, shopping, about 30 minutes to the Guinness Storehouse. There's an amazing high-end grocery store one block south and another block over is the best French Bakery/Cafe I've ever been in, Le Petite Parisian. Directly out the door is "The Stag's Head" Bar and two others. The bar that is attached to the hotel is just beautiful, unfortunately I didn't discover it until the last night or I would've been in there more. I just loved the ladies that manned the front desk. They offered directions, advice, and one of them nearly vaulted over the counter as I walked out the front doors with my handbag slung over my back, instead of under my arm. She caught me just going out the door and spun my bag around so it was in the front, warning me of all the pickpockets. We really felt like we were being taken care of by our long-lost aunts, especially this being a girl's trip. If you're looking for a great central location on a budget and don't mind hearing the city, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Hip party-people you want a room on the Dame St. side. If you want a quieter room, ask for a room o...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel on a guys sports weekend. The hotel is clean and basic and really central. For the price charged this hotel is ideal for a cheap and cheerful weekend. It is in a great location for sites and nightlife. No negatives and would return.

• Stayed April 2013