“Cant wait to book another stay”
Review of Mercantile Hotel

Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #115 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We really enjoyed are stay at the mercantile from the 15th to 17th november. The atmosphere was excellent we were right in the centre of everything. The restaurant and bars in the hotel were beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. Both nights the bars were packed and the atmosphere was brilliant and it was the same during the day. The staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome and nothing was to much trouble especially the receptionist and the young girl who waited our table at dinner. Although the hotel was perfect for us it wouldn't be somewhere you would go for a quiet break but we loved it.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank lisacorr

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Booked this hotel as a literally last minute one night stay on 9th October as me and my partner were heading to a concert in the O2 Arena. I was worried about this hotel as it wasn't the usual style I would of chosen but it was last minute and there were not a lot of other cheap alternatives.

Hotel is old fashioned decor but the room that we stayed in was lovely, great contemporary bathroom and a huge queen/king sized bed which was extremely comfortable. There was also a flat screen TV with tea and coffee appliances with a chair and table in the bedroom. The room was also very clean which is the first thing I inspect when I arrive at my room in a hotel.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, offering us maps and drawing directions for us so that we took the most easily accessible route to where ever we wanted to go.

There is a nightclub and bar within the hotel which is located next to reception below the rooms which looked great and gathered many people that night which leads me to believe that it is a popular area.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, there is a large SPAR situated across the street which is handy for any snacks, shopping or alcohol. There is also a BBQ american style smoke house restaurant next to the SPAR and there is a long strip of shops and restaurants surrounding the hotel to cater to your every need. I would like to mention in particular an old school restaurant/diner called Eddie Rockets which was so delicious that we ate in it twice the same day.

The Tram service was a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel which is perfect for taking you around the City, we used it to get to the O2 arena which only cost around 6 euros for the both of us. The trams run every 7-10 minutes so it's great way to get to and from your destination.

To further add excellence to the experience there is a number of 24 hour Parking facilities located around the hotel, one of which was situated a mere 2 minutes from the hotel which we did not realise, we used one which was about 5 minutes from the hotel and they gave us a deal on our parking price if we brought back our Hotel Receipt so instead of costing us 30 odd euros it only cost 17 euros for the night.

Before I booked this hotel I noticed a lot of reviews complaining about the noise near the hotel due to the surrounding pubs and nightlife, I personally did not have any problems sleeping and was not irritated by the sounds. My partner on the other hand did hear the noise but it wasn't unbearable, I think you would need to be a very light sleeper, and quite picky for it to cause any bother.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and plan on booking this hotel again due to its cleanliness, comfortability, location and friendliness of staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carla B
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Do not stay here if you want to get any sleep, but its the perfect place to stay if you want to be in the heart of dublins pubs and clubs and stay up all night. Decor is dated but Joe the receptionist was a very jolly happy gent.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Located between Dame and Exchequer Streets, this hotel is situated firmly within the Dublin nightlife and is convenient to most city attractions. Reasonably-priced, this is a good choice for partiers and active tourists. We stayed for the three nights, including a hectic arrival on Arthur's Day.

Attached to the Mercantile Bar, there is a lot of night time activity here, but the staff is rather friendly and the rooms are comfortable enough to provide some relief. Opening the windows on warmer nights will allow more of the street noise in, but this is the cost of a central location.

The wifi is not password-protected, so avoid logging into your sensitive accounts while on premises. The bathroom facilities are good for a building this old.

There are plenty of bars, restaurants and visitor attractions nearby making this an excellent home base for tourists, unless you're the type that needs nine hours of beauty sleep on a nightly basis. But who needs sleep? Get out there and go see the city!

Room Tip: Forget about trying to hide from the local noise and just enjoy your visit.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Agent_Jarrod
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My boyfriend and I came over on a trip to Dublin for 3 nights. We decided to find accommodation when we got there (which we did easily - at the Travel Lodge, which I highly recommend.)
We passed by the Mercantile and decided to enquire about a room. The blonde woman at the front desk was absolutely rude to us, saying that we should never have come to Dublin without pre-booking accommodation, that we'll never find anything in the city this late and didn't we know, the day before had been 'Arthur's Day.' Upon hearing this, we asked what Arthur's day was, and she was completely short with us. "Guiness day, don't you know?!" ...
Needless to say, we legged it out of there and never ever intend on going back. As I mentioned, we stayed at the Travel Lodge - who have clean, spacious and comfortable rooms. I would suggest that if you are ever lucky enough to find yourself in the wonderful city of Dublin that you give the Mercantile a miss.
There's nothing worse than rude staff, they can put a damper on your whole holiday.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you enjoy rude staff.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Britney B
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Woman working there was very nice, forgot her name now. She was bit nuts but she was friendly and honest.
Room was clean, spacious and more than expected.
I would stay there again. Simple, non pretentious and Irish, I guess you can't get more Irish.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My sisters and I stayed here for 3 nights. The room was your pretty much average, budget hotel room with the old looking carpet, but the bathroom was actually surprisingly quite nice and clean.

The location was definitely a plus. I don't think I ever had to take public transportation to any of the popular destinations in Dublin (it's about 25 min to the Guinness Storehouse on foot).

The staff here are a plus. There was an especially very nice, very lovely and helpful front staffperson who looks like the Irish Twiggy. After getting caught in the rain outside, she helped us to a room right away.

Now my sisters and I slept fine because after all the travel and fun in Dublin, we pretty much passed out each night. But if you want a peaceful and very quiet night's sleep, this probably would not be the place for you. Actually, don't stay in the Temple Bar area if you want peace and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends