“Basic restaurant”
Review of Mercantile Hotel

Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #116 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 27 April 2014

On a day trip to Dublin I decided to go to the Mercantile for dinner. There were only 5 or 6 choices of main course and some were sandwich based. All at a very high price. I know its in the city centre andIshould expect to pay city prices. Even taking that into consideration I was still shocked at the price I was charged for what I got. Very disappointing.
Also the restaurant is very dark.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately, we did not actually even check-in as within moments of arriving, I realised that I would not be comfortable staying there. The hotel is quaint in a shabby chic kind of way and the staff were absolutely wonderful! Very polite and professional !! This is in an incredibly noisy, bustling part of town and if that appeals to you, then go for it. Unfortunately , after a week of travelling, the length and breadth, I was ready for a bit of p and q and an early night. I must be getting old!! You are definitely paying for the location .

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed here recently as I was familiar with it's location and bar underneath and was very impressed. Check in was very quick. Didn't look like there were too many rooms available. Room itself was spotlessly clean. There were two beds, a double and a single. Had a tv and views out onto Dame Street so it was noisy but that's exactly what I wanted. Bathroom was exceptionally clean and well stocked. The decor was old fashioned but I wasn't expecting a boutique hotel. The menu claimed to serve lots of food and drink but it wasn't room service and when I went to the bar and requested an advertised bottle of wine from the menu I was told there was only a Merlot and Cab Sav on offer.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 30 March 2014

FOR
Nice friendly, helpful staff.
Location very good, easy walking distance to many interesting city locations.

AGAINST:
Bar was very busy each night, and very, very, noisy.
Décor and lighting needs upgrading and some serious investment.
Breakfast choice a bit limited, no cereal choices, no fresh rolls, no buffet choice.

Room Tip: Just make sure you use the ear plugs
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
A budgetplaces.com Traveller
Reviewed 24 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Thank A budgetplaces.com Traveller
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My son and I booked this hotel for 3 nights to celebrate my daughters 18th birthday. We were so warmly greeted by the lovely Therese who couldn't do enough from recommending wonderful restaurants and guiding us to the shopping areas. She treated us like old friends as only the Irish can. All the staff are friendly and, although I was concerned about the noise issue I can honestly say I slept really well; no noise and wonderfully comfortable bed. Rooms are a little dated but large and clean. Fantastic location and really good value for money. We will return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for just one night, very central and convenient location. Staff very helpful and food good. Downside is the rooms need a little updated, although very clean they have just been patched up rather than refurbished. Rooms at the front of the hotel also quite noisy at night however they do provide ear plugs !!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple