“Friendly. Busy. Good pint of Guiness”
Review of The Brazen Head

The Brazen Head
Ranked #101 of 2,909 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dating back to 1198, The Brazen Head is officially Ireland's oldest pub.
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Called in here when passing one day during our visit as was told it is the oldest pub in Dublin. A Sunday afternoon and it was pretty busy, but we managed to find a table and enjoy a pint of Guiness and Jameson, ginger & lime!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,195)

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We ordered the fish and chips and Guinness beef stew. The stew was great, but it did not come with bread. We had ordered a paid bread basket just before, so it was fine not to have it come with the stew, but that felt quite cheap. The bread itself was extremely dry, and being a lover of soda bread I usually don’t stop until the loaf is done. It says a lot that we left the last two pieces. My partner ordered the fish and chips and there was actually a layer of raw batter between his fish and the crispy cooked batter. Absolutely revolting texture, and the fish wasn’t hot. Overall the meal was average at best - nothing like what we expected. In addition, there was no music - quieter than a cemetery.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

It had been 30 years since I was here and wow, the oldest pub although retaining its character and charm seems to be more in the 21 st century. The weather was glorious and lots of people inside and out. The place was buzzing, young and old, different nationalities all enjoying the ambiance and the sunshine. The food was incredible and I marvelled at the speed and efficiency of the staff delivering hot, fantastic food to the table without too much of a wait, (considering how busy they were. ) Well done all, thank you for a brilliant meal, friendly service and a memorable visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

It was day one in Dublin and at the end of the city bus tour with DoDublin we jumped off to have dinner at the old Brazen Head.

This was my first time at the Brazen Head as it was for my wife and three adult kids...so we had a great meal, the Mussels were outstanding and the beginning of a 12 days of Irish Mussels....our children 25 - 23 - 21 all had drinks as did my wife and we ate some old style Bangers and Mash as well as Fish and Chips and the Beef Stew all of which were really good.

As far as a place to see, it is a must, don't be at all afraid to eat the food is great as was the service...

2  Thank Moose3737
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I found out about the Brazen Head from our cab driver. Probably a million other Dublin visitors would say the same. I was wowed by the “oldest pub in Ireland” (1198!) title, but a little suspicious of the actual history. You needn’t travel further than the Head’s own website to learn that it’s unclear “how much of the original 11th century coach house is still intact”. I figured something like that.

But it doesn’t matter. This is a very old, fabulous Irish pub. The real deal. While suitably awed, we weren’t actually starving so we shared a salad, a stew (thinking lamb, but might well have been something else, I confess I forgot), and smoked salmon platter. These were all excellent.

For libations, I told myself I was sticking with the black stuff. Which I did. Until I got around to noticing the abundance of Tullamore Dew artwork around the place. An old favorite, had a to have one, or perhaps two. At that point I really felt like I was in Ireland.

The place is a kind of rabbit warren of short halls and small rooms. It’s like an artwork. Though it was very crowded, we managed to find a table. A six person table miraculously inhabited by a solitary lady who was happy to share.

Didn’t see any performances but I’ll make a point of it next time. Service was friendly and efficient. Great food and drink. Beautifully warm, compact, and intricate interior. Very nice patio. Comradery. History. Pretty much can’t beat it. I’ll go back.