“Needs to be shut down and given a complete facelift”

Dublin Writers Museum
Ranked #92 of 515 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Housing memorabilia of Ireland's most influential writers, the museum has a recording of James Joyce reading from "Anna Livia Plurabelle."
Reviewed 26 July 2018

Two rooms of uninspiring, amateurish displays in a dirty, ramshackle building, parts of which are so rundown and dilapidated that it looks like an abandoned asylum. The fact that the “museum” doesn’t have its own website should have been a warning of what awaited me. As a museum, it utterly fails to do justice to the tradition of Irish writing. I can't imagine how anybody could rate it as ‘excellent’ or ‘very good’.
As an Irish citizen, I am embarrassed that this is what we are offering up to tourists. On behalf of the Irish people, I apologise to any foreign tourist who paid good money only to be shocked and disappointed by the paucity of what is on offer here.

1  Thank John C
in 59 reviews
"information"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

This is honestly one of my favourite museums! The audio guide had so much information, as well as what was already provided throughout. I learned so much about all of the writer’s history and their stories. Definitely a place to visit when in Dublin!

1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 10 July 2018

I definitely appreciated this literary museum, as a big fan of Irish literature. The overall set-up is pretty simple. They have cases with artifacts relevant to different Irish writers over the past few centuries, explanations about the writers above the cases, and an audio guide to give you even more in-depth information. The price is pretty reasonable for a small museum. Definitely be prepared to read a lot and absorb a lot of information. I discovered some writers I had never heard of before and now I want to check out their work.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

It’s a nice museum if you want to dive in Irish literature. Especially the first two rooms are full of information! But that’s actually it. The place is outdated and old. Personnel is very friendly!

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

Very informative museum. Only consists of three rooms though. We arrived at 12 and were told at 12.59 that they were closing in a few minutes but not on arrival! We had virtually finished looking around but was disappointed we might not have seen everything as we did pay the full admission price. (Staffing issues) We were told we could go back at 2pm but we were over the other side of town at that point. Audio guide was good and worked well.