“Different experience”

Irish Film Institute
Ranked #19 of 86 Fun & Games in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular cinema in Temple Bar.
Dublin, Ireland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Different experience”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

IFI is such a different experience with its quaint look, choice of movies and selection of drinks you can bring into the cinema. You also get interesting crowd in there. If you are a big fan of Hollywood movies you may not like it too much. Staff are friendly and it's easy to get around the place. The only thing is they could really do with putting more seating in the yard as most of the times you have to stand when waiting for the movie to start. Overall great choice for a night out.

Visited May 2014

Dublin, Ireland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Shambolic Service”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have to say that I was left pretty upset by my last 2 visits to the IFI. Last Thursday the power cut half way through a film (around 10pm), which was not the IFI's fault. They offered us the option of coming back another night so my friends and I decided to have a beer and come back on Sat. But since the power was out the lady working the til didn't know how much our drinks were and I ended up paying nearly €20 for 3 drinks! Thinking back on it, the cinema should have comp'd us a coffee or something for the inconvenience of having to sit through the film again. But that was more an emergency situation than par for the course, so I decided to move on.

We reassembled on Sat about 45 min before the 8:30 showing so we could get a drink, but by the time we got the waiter we only had half and hour and since there's no assigned seating in the cinema we decided to have quick coffees instead of beers so we could get good seats. We waited 20 minutes, by which time our waiter finally came back with one of the coffees. He told us other waiters had "stolen" our orders. We re-iterated to him that we were in a rush and about to leave so he went off and came back after a further 5 minutes to tell us that he couldn't get us the other coffees but that we could all share the one coffee he'd brought over and he wouldn't charge us! We left without touching it. This was really poor service and the fact that no one seemed to care was the worst part. Unfortunately this seems to be becoming the norm for the IFI.

I love this Dublin institution and I've been coming here for 15 years so I couldn't bring myself to give a 1-star review, but I have to say I'll be heading to the Lighthouse whenever possible now instead. In the current climate no business can afford to be so shabby on customer service.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank PaulaKerrigan
Texas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“A great alternative to pubs every night”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We spent a week in Dublin and went night and day seeing all the sights. We discovered this place early one rainy evening and saw Hotel Budapest. We ended up coming back three more times, actually staying for an interview with the "star" of one documentary film. It is conveniently located on a side street of Temple Bar . It would cater to someone who likes independent films. There is a restaurant and small bar on the premisses.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 228 helpful votes
“Beautifully kept, quaint cinema”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Went to see Dallas Buyers club here yesterday, the place was like Narnia, two big doors on the street and then entering the building was like another world! Beautiful courtyard, the cinema was quaint and lovely, the only gripe was the leg room and no head rest so quite uncomfortable for me.

Visited February 2014
Covington, Louisiana
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Okay so it's raining and you are tired of pubs and museums...”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Pop into the Irish Film Institute in the Temple Bar area of Dublin and check out what's showing. You can pick up a monthly guide and time schedule, peruse the little shop and have a cup of tea or a Guinness while deciding what to see. The films are from all over the world and often are those super cool little flicks that you hear about on public radio but that don't ever make it to the big ugly cinemas --you know those places that are more interested in selling you huge boxes of bad popcorn than showing you a fabulous independent film.

Visited January 2014