“Very good quality/price ratio”

The Charles Stewart Dublin
Ranked #86 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
Liege, Belgium
“Very good quality/price ratio”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Very good location (next to the centre).
For sure, it is not a Palace, but it is clean and it is probably the best quality/price ratio of Dublin !

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 June 2010

When I see all the great reviews this place received I wonder if I stayed at the same property. I obviously didn't stay in the same room. Yet, even the main lobby was a telltale sign of how bad the room would be. There were black grease marks on the worn carpet that trailed down the hallway.

I've traveled extensively around the world and have stayed in hotels with such poor electrical wiring I couldn't use a blow dryer, once had a mouse in my room, once had black dog fur all over my sheets, and the list goes on. None of them were as bad as this hotel. The mopboard in our room was completely rotted away with large holes we had to cover at night for fear a mouse would come out and eat the snacks in our luggage. The bathroom was so disgusting I was afraid to use it. The place was a complete dump.

The only good thing I can say is that the front desk staff was very nice and location was good.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 18 May 2010

A friend and I stayed at the Charles Stewart from May 1-6 and for the most part we really enjoyed our stay. The room was a bit oddly shaped (long and narrow vs. square), but with two twin beds that worked well, as it gave us each a bit of space (i.e. not living on top of each other). The bathroom, though, was also long and very narrow, and this sometimes posed a problem, it was definitely a tight fit. The walls can be a bit thin, so I definitely recommend earplugs, though I use these no matter where I'm staying, because all hotels can have noise. We had a room on the ground floor facing the back and were never bothered once by cars/trucks in the parking lot. The hotel does have an older, 'dated', feel to it, but both the communal areas and rooms are kept quite clean and the amenities it offers definitely offset (for us) any feelings about it's age... luggage storage, guest lounge with tv and (pay) computer, and the full breakfast every morning are all great features. If you need a hair dryer, you pay a 10 Euro deposit and get that money back when you return the hair dryer.

I was also very impressed with the staff in every area of the hotel. I have read various reviews that said staff were unfriendly, didn't speak English, etc... but I definitely did not find that to be the case. Every person working on the desk was very friendly and helpful, often remembering us when we returned and got our key without having to ask which room we were in (special mention to Andy and the woman who checked us in, I'm afraid I've forgotten her name). Staff in the breakfast room were also very good, and always willing to customize your order to your liking.

Pros:
Location
Price
Breakfast
Friendly/helpful staff
Luggage storage
Great (i.e. very powerful) shower
'Public' washroom for freshening up in if room isn't ready early

Cons:
Not soundproof
Small bathroom in our room

General:
Hairdryers have to be requested (refunded 10 Euro deposit)
Internet is much cheaper in the yellow internet shop a few doors down the street (toward the Spire)
Apart from hand soap, no other toiletries are included in the room

Basically, though, the price was right, the location was perfect... This is not a four star hotel, so you shouldn't go in expecting it is, but I had a great stay I will definitely be staying here again the next time I visit Dublin.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
West Lothian
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Stayed at the Charles Stewart over the weekend 20/21 March for rugby. Nice clean basic rooms, with good bathroom facilities. Great location as you are literally on O'Connell Street in all but name. 15 minute walk to Croke Park for rugby.

Very friendly staff and no problems with any aspect of our booking arrangements.

Breakfast, the only real disappointment, as both mornings, beans were cold, eggs undercooked and not much to rave about to be honest.

However, on the whole, good value for money, great location, but please remember you get what you pay for, no more no less.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
monaghan
Reviewed 17 March 2010

we stayed in the Charles Stewart, and i can say that its a great place to say and is dead central for everything you want to do and see in Dublin. i would definately recommend it. the foods good and the staff are frindly and the night doorman/receptionist is great and very helpful. the breakfast is great and its good value for money.
the only complaint i have about it is we stayed on the first level and the bathroom was so small and badly laid out that it was impossible to use the facility, my husband who only has a 28 inch waist got it hard to sit on the toilet because it is so tight to the wash hand basin that you ahve to twist and turn yourself around the sink to sit on the loo and you have to pull your kecks down before entering the wc. being bigger than my husband i tried to use the room once and it was hat difficult i just gave up and i just used the bigger one down the hall which meant getting dressed in the middle of the night if you had to go to the loo which was a bit of a pain, but as i said this was the only complaint i had about the place eveything else is good.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Slovakia
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I booked a room in january for more than 1 week and I asked for a warmer room so I got a nice room on the third floor with clean and large bath. I liked breakfast and staf was really nice and reception helpful. I felt comfortable and for a good price in the centre of the city close to almost everything.
If I come back I wil definitly choose Charles Stewart again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
cotswolds, uk
Reviewed 8 January 2010

1st thoughts when we got to the hotel room was that you get what you pay for, very small room with bed against the wall, but wasn't expecting any more for the price. The problems started when we got back to the hotel after an evening out to find that all the heating was on a timer and that are room was freezing, we stayed during the "big freeze" when it was well below freezing outside.
I spoke to the night porter who offered an alternative room which was just as cold and ended up running round Dublin at 1am trying to find a room with heating on

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple