“What a Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gate Theatre

Gate Theatre
Ranked #68 of 503 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: This theater hosts dramatic performances by Ireland's up-and-coming playwrights.
Boise, Idaho
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“What a Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I were here in May for a Saturday matinee. We booked about two months in advance and had the best seats in the house for a production of Oscar Wilde's "An Ideal Husband." We couldn't have been more pleased by every aspect of our experience. The acting was superb from top to bottom. There were two butlers in the show who deserve nominations for best supporting actor. When the butlers are good, you know the rest of the show is great. And it was. We often tell people how incredibly good the acting was.

The sets were also brilliant, and the set changes were choreographed to the music. Such a classy touch.

Our heartfelt thanks to everyone involved. This was a first-class demonstration of the quality of Irish theatre. The best acting we've ever seen.

Afterwards, we walked across the Liffey and stopped by the Palace Bar for a O'Hara's Ale. Nice way to start the evening.

• Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Oscar Wilde in an historic theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have been there on two separate trips to Ireland. The quality of set design, acting and acoustics was remarkable. I especially enjoyed having tea at the half. Not a typical North American experience. I loved it abd it is an easy walk from Temple Bar where my hotel was.

1 Thank SJKym
Rock Springs, WY
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“a lovely night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

To see a play written by Ireland's Oscar Wilde from 1895 on-stage in Dublin, Ireland, just down the street from the Writers Museum was a real treat. The play was The Ideal Husband, and the theater was the Gate. We bought tickets the night before the performance, receiving good seats, at a decent price. The audience was civil and attentive. The actors were talented--such an excellent ensemble with superb timing. The play is plot and dialogue-driven, a comedy of errors with snappy conversation and witty repartee. The upcoming shows at the theater looked impressive too from writers such as Arthur Miller. When you're in Dublin, and if you like theater, check out the possibilities at the Gate.

Bodmin, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“An unexpected treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Staying at Cassidy's opposite so decided to see An Ideal Husband and experience a Dublin writer in his own city. Bought the tickets only the day before and were given the best seats still available. As the theatre is older the seats are not well raked and I had a large person sitting in front. However, I was able to move along into an empty seat for a good view. The acting and sets were first class. My drama student granddaughter and I loved it. Thank you.

Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highlight of my trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I'll echo the many other reviewers by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed this production of "An Ideal Husband". Regarding the seat size, they are small in comparison to American theater seats so I can see how someone who is very tall or of a generous size would be uncomfortable. But I would hope that would not discourage anyone from attending. The play is well worth it.