“Great - and could be absolutely superb with minor attention”
Review of Aberdeen Lodge

Aberdeen Lodge
Ranked #8 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Among the most attentive and efficient staff I have encountered. Public room ambience excellent. Quality and variety of food at breakfast and drinks service to lounge well up to many 5 star hotel standards. Location as convenient and quiet as stated - a rarity in Dublin.

Details that could lift it to next level - (1)attention to bedlinen and towels. Although no problem at all with their cleanliness, both needed renewal urgently - frays and holes evident. (2) room furniture - again high quality but needing TLC here and there e.g. to upholstery.

None of this would put me off recommendation or return, but there is a chance for even higher standards very easily in reach.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LnR21

Reviewed 30 June 2011

Very friendly and hospital welcome from the outset. I got plenty advice about what to see and how to get there. While I was there for the Carling Nations Cup matches when Scotland were playing, I got to see a lot of the City and the staff and management would ask me each day how things were going.
It was clear to me the staff and management work very hard to ensure your stay is as comfortable and beneficial for you as possible. With Ireland in such a precarious economic state, her Travel & Tourism sector need look no further than hotels such as the Aberdeen Lodge to impress her visitors.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank PeterGrant38
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I had the pleasure of being a guest of Aberdeen Lodge this week. I was in Dublin attending St. Vincents for an appointment as one can imagine I was rather anxious about attending the hospital. A friend advised me to stay in Aberdeen Lodge that the hospitality was second to none and how right she was. I was given such a warm welome, offered tea in the garden where I met the delightful hotel cat. My room was wonderful absolutely the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Unfortunately it rained that evening but Pat the owner of the hotel very kindly dropped me to a great restaurant called Brownes in Sandymount. I have to say that seldom before have I experienced such genuine quality service. I have to say that I will be returning to Aberdeen Lodge to Pat, his cat and wonderful staff. Ena Parker

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MarieP35
Reviewed 28 June 2011

When were initially booked to stay in the sister hotel, Merrion Hall but due to a booking mix-up, we had booked to incorrect dates.
Thankfully the staff were very helpful and offered us a room at Aberdeen Lodge.
The room was to be an additional €64 per night. Therefore the total cost of the room at Aberdeen Lodge was €199 plus my lost deposit of €15.
Upon arrival at Aberdeen Lodge we were warmly greeted and shown to a beautiful lounge area where coffee was served.
Our bags were taken to our room.

We finished our coffee and went to our room.
The room was very poor. In fact it was very much below the standard we expect for a €199 per night room. Where do I start?
The room felt grubby and dirty.
The carpet was cheap and now badly worn. The furniture was antiquated and not in good repair.
The bed linen had also seen better days.
The main light in the room was missing a light bulb.
The bathroom was not clean. The shower rail needs replacing as it was rusting badly at the ends.
There was blood/make-up on the toilet roll. (Hopefully it was make-up).
The towels on offer could only now be used for rags as they were so badly frayed.
There were hairs in the bathroom and in the bath.
I and my wife slept poorly and were up for breakfast at the crack of dawn as we couldn't wait to leave.
The breakfast on offer was very good.
The service and friendliness of staff was 10/10 - Pat and his wife were extraordinarily helpful and I feel bad about writing such a poor review.
However, if you are charging a premium rate, then you must provide a premium service and the room fell way below our standards.
The room that we stayed in was shabby at best and filthy at worst.
If the price had been half of what we paid, then we would understand that the poor state of repair that the room was in.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Jolly79
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Aberdeen Lodge during our visit to Ireland in May this year. The hospitality provided by Pat, Ann and the staff was second to none; indeed, it was more like staying with old friends than staying in a hotel. The accommodation and hospitality was exceptional and the advice provided by Pat made our stay and our travels around Dublin so much easier. Our thanks for a wonderful stay, and we have told those friends here in Australia who are planning to visit Ireland in the next 12 months that a stay at the Aberdeen Lodge would be a great start and/or finish to the holiday. Rest assured we will be back too.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This small lodge was a wonderful place to start our Irish vacation. Met upon check in with coffee and tea and fresh cookies, rooms were small but comfortable and well appointed. Staff was attentive to our needs and were very friendly. We enjoyed our stay and if we return to Ireland again, would stay with them again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Just got back from 2 night stay with big group of friends. Really enjoyed our stay. Lovely hotel, super staff, very helpful and breakfast was superb. My only complaints would be minor; our room was a bit tired and most of the towels were threadbare and suitable only for duster use though were very clean.
Would definitely stay again. Not suitable for anyone who doesn't like stairs by the way!

• Stayed: June 2011