“Lovely hotel, decent stay”
Review of Albany House

Albany House
Ranked #66 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Lovely hotel, decent stay”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay based on essentially reviews and pics and I'm glad I did.
I love old buildings and this Georgian gem is beautiful.
-Lovely reception area and dining room.
- We stayed in room 34 on the second floor and it was stunning: super-high ceilings, large room, huge bed, massive bay window.
-Staff friendly
-Room came at a decent rate too. Nice decor throughout the hotel.
-Modern and well finished en-suite with hairdryer and decent shower (!)
-Had a tv in the room as well as tea/coffee
-A short walk to Grafton Street and city centre for shopping/bars

A few cons, but it would not stop me returning:
-Towels are not very big but I find this is many hotels/b&bs
-Room was a little cold, perhaps due to size, but radiator was not on nor could I put it on (stayed in December) however my partner preferred it cold, and it being his birthday trip, I let him have it cold
-Room is big, and felt a little echoey. Could perhaps do with more in it eg plant up the corner?
-Decor great in the room, but the curtains were very old fashioned - however I can imagine the price of a pair THAT big!
- Perhaps could offer a warm breakfast too? Toast, cereal and croissants are nice but sometimes you want a fry up! Even a warm sandwich would be better
- No lift - ok for us we were only second floor but for others eg older people could be a problem
- Could hear others returning to their rooms, ie chatter/laughter as rooms set out as a house, with no set back room/away from corridor. It must have been staff in the kitchen in the morning too - a little banging and noise heard.

Seems a long list of cons, but they wouldn't stop me returning for another short stay and most are being pernickety eg towels. For the surroundings, you can put up with a little noise/cold for a night or two!
Worth a look!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Nieuwegein-Noord, Utrecht, Netherlands
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Very close to the town centre, lovely old building. Decent ( not great ) breakfast. Nice and friendly staff
However no lift , had to climb six !! stairs to our room.
Kept awake by the disco across the street.

Room Tip: If you have problems with climbing stairs, call them to make reservations so you can have a room on...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Spent 5 nights at Albany House sharing a double room with a friend. We were a bit worried when we were told that we had a room downstairs on the lower floor - but when we came through the door we quickly realized there was no reason to worry. The room was huge compared to Swedish standard! We had one large single bed and one queen size, and a corner with two large comfortable armchairs. The bathroom had both shower and bathtub as well as two sinks (perfect for two women sharing a room :) )

For us who likes history this is a lovely old building with fantastic atmosphere (those who like modern Scandinavian style might want to look elsewhere though).

I have read some people complaining about noise - we came home one night when it was very noisy outside the hotel, but we heard absolutely nothing of the noise in our room (we had requested a quiet room and were very pleased!).

This is a smaller hotel which shows in the very friendly and personal attention from the staff.

The continental breakfast was of very high standard for Ireland (you might just get white toast and cornflakes), there was freshly made tea/coffee, fresh fruit salad, lovely bakery bread that was still warm, croissants, gourmet cheeses, and several types of cereals - we were so full that we did not eat lunch during the entire trip :)

I thought it was impossible to get this kind of accomodation for the price we paid! Thank you everyone at Albany House for giving us such a pleasant stay, will definately stay again!

Room Tip: Our lower floor room facing away from the street was nice and quiet dispite loud noise out on the st...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Idisen
Essex, UK
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We had 3 nights at Albany. Staff were helpful and the breakfast good (continental only) with fresh breads, toast, cheeses, fruit, yoghurt, and good coffee etc. Served till 10am at weekends and 9.30am in the week. the hotel is well located within 10 mins walk of the city centre and close to Whelans and many other bars and clubs. Late at night, the Georgian buildings opposite Albany transform into a couple of vibrant clubs so many young people flock there. Rooms to the front may hear a bit of noise - particularly if you had your window open during warmer months. No air conditioning and en-suite was rather small but room was otherwise fine and clean.

Room Tip: for a quieter room, book a room at the back.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here for only 1 night. I loved the convenient location. We took a bus from the airport and walked about 2 blocks to the hotel. The receptionist was overall helpful. The facility was a bit of a maze. It seemed that they turned a 2-3 roll houses into 1 by creating openings here and there. It was not a major downside, but the first few times I went back to my room I had to remember which side of the building it was on and which way to turn. The room was decent-typical European room size, but could use a bit more tender, love, and care to look more appealing.

The major downside of the hotel is its proximity to clubs and bars in the area and a one-pane old looking window. Our room faced the main street, so I could hear the noises from the street pretty well. At around midnight to mid morning the next day, I could hear people yelling and singing and car honking. I poked my head out and saw a line of taxis waiting to pick people up. I couldn't tell where the people were from, but I could hear some music in the distant. I don't know if rooms in the back of the hotel would be quieter, but it might be good to ask for it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lpaw
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just spent 3 nights at this small hotel (50 rooms). The location is perfect, just off St. Stephens Green but in a quiet street. My room was extremely comfortable and well appointed, and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The continental buffet breakfast is very good, my only complaint is that breakfast finshes at 9.30. This is a very well run hotel and I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in Dublin.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jennifer G
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights, we found it to be in a good location with various accessible routes to get around the city, Albany house is a stones throw away from the major shopping streets and the tour buses stop just around the corner. As soon as we stepped in the door we were made to feel welcome. we were given a junior suite which apart from a bit of decoration needing to be done was absolutely fantastic the whole guest house was impeccably clean and well presented and the staff friendly . Breakfast served between 07.30 and 10.00 and a good choice of items available. it might of been nice to see some meats available and maybe hot chocolate for those that don't drink coffee or tea otherwise we loved our stay plus you don't pay till you leave either.

• Stayed October 2013