“Not bad at all”
Review of Avalon House

Avalon House
Ranked #25 of 122 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I'm not big on staying in hostels really, but this one was actually OK! We had a double room with ensuite to ourselves, and it was pretty cozy. We got free breaky every morning which was very basic (ie weetbix & toast). I was pretty happy with our shower - it was a push button one but had adequate pressure & warmth. We were able to easily walk to places like Temple Bar, Trinity College & Dublin Castle, so got to see enough of Dublin. Free wifi also a bonus. Definitely happy with my hostel experience

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 June 2011

This hostel was, to our taste, average. I stayed with a friend in a private room (with no view) and the room was really tiny! Fortunately Dublin has a lot to offer, so we didn't spend much time in it. The bathroom was smelly for some reason, but it was reasonably clean and the shower was warm. The staff was pretty helpful in booking trips for us and got us a hairdryer and such.
The breakfast was horrible, but the bar next to the 'breakfast' buffet had good sandwiches and pastries. This man made a good move to place his bar right next to this poor breakfast buffet! But if you're on a budget, do not expect to have good breakfast.
The location was great, close to many sights and shopping area. The tourbus we took to Glendalough even picked us up from the hostel.
Price is reasonable for what you get.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else for a private room!
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I was looking for a cheap place to stay in Dublin without giving up good location.
The Avalon House was perfect. I was there for my 1st three nights in Ireland & my last night. I experienced no problems. The location was great. The price was right. Plenty of hot water for the shower. Staff was helpful & polite. My bedding was clean. They even had a lift which is useful if you have heavy luggage. I'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I arrived at the hostel at 12pm but we could not go to our rooms till 2pm as the 26 bedroom doorm we booked was not ready for us. we decided to go and get something to eat and then return back to the hostel. when we saw our room for the first time it was like something out of Annie the musical! 13 bunk beds, bars accross the ceiling, dirty duvets, no windows, mirriors and very smelly! The 3 men in there beds were staring at us as we were giggling at the site of this room and making a tad bit of noise but not much. I was meant to be staying here for my hen do but deffintely not if we were just getting dirty looks for laughing at 2pm!!!This place was absolutely disgusting and i would not recommend this place to anyone! we checked into The morgan which was BEAUTIFUL.deff recommend the morgan, NOT avalon/!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank laylaram87
Reviewed 28 March 2011

As this is a hostel I wasn't expecting great things, however, this hostel was extremely bad and I would not recommend anyone staying here.
I was staying with a large group of university students, we were on a trampolining tour and quite frankly we are from a respected university and behaved extremely well.
My room was smelly, the toilet lid was non-existent, the showers cold, the wi-fi didn't work anywhere but downstairs and the sheets were dirty but I looked past this as I knew the hostel was cheap and allowing this large group of students to stay at their hostel. They told us upon arrival that we were not allowed to consume alcohol anywhere on the premises (this was not mentioned on their website) and that we were to be silent between 11-7am. To be honest, we were displeased with the alcohol policy but the silence policy we obeyed and were respectful of other guests.
However, our nights were long and sleepless. Other people staying at the hostel ran around screaming, had really loud french conversations outside in the corridors, banged on doors and sang really loudly. When a few of our party did complain they were told there was nothing the hostel could do, these were teenagers and if we wanted to speak to the manager he didn't work at the weekend but 9-5 on a Monday - Friday. We were leaving on the Monday.
Upon leaving we were charged 200 euros. Why? We had been drinking in our rooms, we had spilt alcoholic beverages on the floor, spilt beverages in the bed, been sick in the corridor and had kept people up screaming. Was any of this true?? NO!
Ok, we had been subtly drinking in our rooms but we had not been loud or obvious about it. Not one of us had spilt any drink and none had been sick ANYWHERE> The hostel said they had evidence. When asked for it they became confused and told us they didn't understand what we meant. One guest had been particularly rude to us and asked us to be quiet when we had simply been talking in our rooms, playing cards between 7-10pm (not curfew). She had then be moved to a private room and we were forced to pay for this, however, as previously mentioned, when we complained we were told nothing could be done. Frankly I felt we were being discriminated against because we were English and because we were young POLITE students who weren't the types to get violent or aggressive and hence why they felt they could blame everything on us. On Monday morning at 10.30 we asked to see the manager and we were told the staff could not find them.

I am appalled at how our university was treated and the manner in which the staff spoke to us. I felt discriminated against and loathed for even being in the building. The staff were unhelpful and rude and were prejudice against us. Simply because we were polite we were taken advantage of. I think the one good thing I can say is that the bus stop was nearby and the outside staff working in the morning kitchen were lovely.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank LondonLissy
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I stayed here for a few days over St Patrick's Day and it was fantastic. It's a short walk to most things, the staff were very helpful, and the rooms were clean.

If you were looking for a hotel, obviously you will not like this place, but for a hostel, the atmosphere is great, free brekky and clean rooms...there is not too much more you can ask for.

I will definately be staying there when I return to Dublin.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I stayed here over Xmas 2010, and loved it. I was in Dublin to spend Xmas with friends but their place was full, so they recommended Avalon House to me for the 3 nights I was there. It was cheap, clean, the rooms were nice and they included continental brekky which was great.

I went for a private room as I hate sharing a bathroom, and it was pretty good. I had a pretty big room with my own bathroom and balcony (couldnt use it though as it was covered in snow! =] ) I didnt actually spend alot of time at the hostel as I was out with friends, but the time I was there was excellent. The reception staff were really helpful (as I got there on Xmas eve they let me know that it would be a good idea to go buy food then as nothing would be open next day). I also slept in on my day of checkout (overstaid by about 2 hours) and they didnt charge me anything or kick me out. Overall it was just a really good, friendly experience. Definitely recommend. Oh they also have free wi-fi and computers in the reception area which is a bonus!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo