“Disappointed”

Ranked #22 of 106 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Denied late checkout (1pm) due to 'st pats weekend'. Our stay was for St Pats night after the parade.

Our twin room was right next to shower room, and LOUD.
Also we had to climb over numerous split level stairs to get to the room out of the lift.

Room was decent for the price but people running up and down the halls and the showers banging resulted in no sleep.

I asked for us to end up with late checkout so we could try and get some sleep before our flight. Managment agreed.

• Stayed March 2014
AvalonDublin, Guest Relations Manager at Avalon House, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I was very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us , as discussed during your visit our night porters do try there best to keep noise levels to a minimal and we do provide free ear plugs at the reception.I hope the complimentary late check out of 5 pm helped with getting a little sleep before your travels that night.
We hope to welcome you back to Avalon in the near future,

All the best
Team @ Avalon House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was there with a friend, but she wanted to stay in a hotel instead. The room was very clean, albeit small. (to be expected) The staff was very helpful in directing me to major points of interest. Breakfast was a cold one, but still very filling and tasty.

So, I arrived to check in and it appeared I made a mistake in booking my room. They were great about getting me in for the night at the very least. They also provided me with many alternate choices. Unfortunately I was there during the strew performance world championship and every hostel was booked for the weekend.

I ended up just staying in the hotel for the rest of my trip in Dublin.

Room Tip: Pick a small room if you aren't into sharing with strangers -- although I find that to be half t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

My daughter and I stayed in hostels all over Ireland during our holiday in February and Avalon was easily our favourite.
We had a twin room with shared bathroom and paid 20 euros each per night. It was a bargain. You will not find better value anywhere else,
The room was small but warm, the beds comfy, included sheets and towels, very good free wifi in room, great location, friendly staff, and cheerful, bustling atmosphere that made us feel right at home.
Breakfast is included - served inside Bald Barista cafe downstairs; toast with butter, jam, honey and chocolate spread, muesli, weetbix, milk on tap, tea, coffee, hot chocolate - as much as you like. There is the option to buy other food and excellent coffee for very reasonable prices in the cafe but most people seemed to take advantage of the freebies, and for us it was more than adequate.
The location is within 5 (or at most 10) minutes walk of attractions such as Temple Bar, Grafton Street, St Stephens Green, National Museums and Gallery, Trinity College, Chester Beatty library and Little Museum of Ireland. The Guinness Storehouse is an easy 20 minute walk away.
Getting there from airport, number 16 Dublin bus (yellow) stops opposite and cost us 2.90 euros. Returning to airport, number 16 departs from stop on same side of street as Avalon (right next door), runs every 11 minutes, and cost 3.05 euros each -possibly because we were in peak hour. Allow an hour, traffic was busy.
The only hiccup was a cold shower on our first morning but we soon figured how to get a hot shower. If you are on the fourth floor like us the hot water takes a LONG time to run through the pipes. It is a push button system and you might need to push 10 or more times. Also, guy on reception said water starts heating at 6 am, so don't attempt a shower before about 7am. Follow this advice and you will have hot showers!
There is a Dunnes food store 5 minutes walk north, same street, which carries everything you could possibly need; we saved money and cooked in the kitchen, a very sociable place.
The building is old and has a certain grunge factor but cleaning happens every day so in spite of appearances we felt it was clean. Another plus for older travelers like me - there was a sprinkling of other "mature" guests, so you will not feel out of place if you are older than the average back packer.
Great place, well done, Avalon is doing everything right.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Janet O
borth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed wiyh 3 others in 4 bedded dorm.beds were clean and comfy.staff very helpful and friendly .will be booking again for our return to the city in 2 years time where this time we will beat the Irish in 6 nations.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

I came here with my friend on short trip from Liverpool . I stayed here only 1 night . I can not say it was good or bad, because it was really short stay. But without any problems in the evening or in the morning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am living in Avalon House from January and I can say its best price and best service . Stuff is fun and great . Hostel and every sector is very clean . Breakfest is excellent and Free Internet is in all hostel rooms . Hostel is only 2 minutes from Graffton street and Luas .

Jasmin Islamovic

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We were very disappointed with our stay. We did not received the value for our money during the stay and felt uncomfortable with the cleanliness and the basic repair of the building. We even made a formal complaint to the hostel and to Famous Hostels and have yet to hear anything back from management (We stayed January 2nd and it's been about a month since we sent the complaint). Here were our problems: We had a private double room, it was musty and damp smelling. We have had to keep the door open to let in some sort of fresh air in. The kitchen is dirty. Not just the cause of a busy hostel, but neglect. Oven tops look like they had not been cleaned for ages. Day old dirty dishes, spoiled food and trash everywhere and broken plumbing (sinks were literally overflowing with dirty dishwater). The sinks did not drain and as such those using the facilities were unable to clean properly. The state of the kitchen raised serious health concerns. I could not imagine cooking in here after midday. There was no hot water to speak of for showers during the day. I consider hot water to be a basic necessity when paying for accommodation. We were told by staff that there is frequently a problem with the boiler and that they have been told "its being fixed" but they encouraged us to make a formal complaint so maybe the owners would be more inclined to actually do something about it. Toilets are unisex which is fine. I noticed a very strange fuzzy red fungus or moss growing on the cracks of the bathroom floor. Also, I noticed the bathroom checks by staff were never completed (they were supposed to be done and signed off at various intervals of the day), but signed off randomly at the end of the night. For breakfast, we encountered filthy dishes, lack of options (cereal, oats, or bread). We were told continental breakfast yet no juice or basic fruit was available at all. Staff were friendly and apologetic when we voiced our concerns, but were ineffective at offering any solutions to the problems except telling us to write a formal complaint.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Davidespana

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels