“I don't know...”
Review of Avalon House

Avalon House
Ranked #32 of 130 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 26 September 2009

I was in Avalon House for 3 days. Has a perfect location, and staff is friendly. But is unconfortable, horrible showers and breakfast... Not so good like they say on his web

Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 September 2009

Staff was so-so, some were extremely helpful and others were just a little cold (but not an issue). I was annoyed with the check-in/check-out. They will not let you check in even a minute early so you wait until 2pm and there's a huge line. They have a luggage room for storing luggage before of after your stay but you can only put your luggage in during the first ten minutes of the hour (you can retrieve it any time).

Location is fine, it's not in a big area or anything but Dublin is so walkable that it wasn't an issue at all. 10-20 minutes walk to pretty much anything except the Guinness Factory (maybe 30-35 minute walk but not bad). The cafe attached to the hostel, the Bald Barista, is awesome. I had the best espresso there than in the rest of Europe during my whole trip (France and Italy included). Free breakfast and it's buffet style.

We stayed in a four-person mixed room and there were 2 bunk beds, no locker, and a sink. I was the only women and had I been traveling alone, I'm not sure how much I would have liked that (but I was with my boyfriend so it was fine this time). Room was pretty clean and there were plenty of showers to accommodate everybody (but only on one floor of the hostel). The shower was weird though, you had to press the knob in every other minute for water and it was annoying when trying to shave legs.

Free internet on computers (not sure about wi-fi), but computers were slow and annoying.

Overall I would stay here for one night, but I wouldn't stay here for multiple nights back to back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2009

The lady at the desk was awesome. She had a line of pple waiting, but gave ample time to everyone to answer their detailed questions. There is a large kitchen area, as well as an attatched coffee shop you can spend time in too.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed at Avalon House for one night last March. To be honest, I was rather glad that my stay was only the one night.

As I was travelling alone, I booked a single room. The bed mattress was incredibly thin, as were the bedroom walls. The bedroom door had a glazed window, and with the landing light being on all-night, the room was way too light. I had a poor nights sleep. The rooms and public areas looked very tatty. The breakfast was pretty pointless. It consisted of either cornflakes or weetabix, and bread. Why not provide a toaster?

The best thing about Avalon House is its location. It is very central (just round the corner from Grafton Street and St. Stephen's Green). It also offers free internet access. There is a kitchen, although I didn't use it so I can't comment. The showers were hot and powerful. There were also plenty of toilets and wash basins.

The rates are fairly cheap.

Given a decent refurb and better breakfast it could be made a really nice hostel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2009

This was my first time to stay at a hostel, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I got a single room to be on the safe side. It was perfect!

The room was nice and the hallway and room were very quiet. I hardly saw another person. The bathrooms were very clean.

The people I did meet in the hostel were friendly. The staff was helpful. I felt completely safe, and it was definitely affordable. This was a better night than a bed and breakfast I stayed at!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Have to say, this was probably the dirtiest, most run down place I've ever stayed at. To be fair, I suppose you get what you pay for and the rates were not bad, but really this place should have been a refugee house, not a place for travelers to stay. Our first night's stay in a 4 bed room was not terrible but not good but the next two nights in the 20+ bed room was at best, less than desireable. Be wary staying here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We stayed at Avalon house for 3 nights and found it to be ok. not really worth the money that they charge as the rooms are average. There is a large kitchen but is not very clean and the fridge is always full of food and so full that it is hard to find space to out your food in. The lift here is very slow and sometimes does not work.
They ahve safe storage and security cages for your belongings.They recommend that you put your large bags in there and that is becausethe rooms are really small.

They advertise on hostelbookers and I think it is a bit misleading as it shows as a great place but is average. It is apparrently one of the best hostels in Dublin.

Showers are press buttin so you need to keep pressing it for the water and they are way too hot...even burns your skin.

Best to get a private room if you can as it i much quieter on these floors and much more conevnient to have your own room.

The staff are really helpful as we had a much up withour booking and they could not provide us with private room for our 1st night that we booked. very friendly and helpful.
the French man who works there is so nice and willgo out of his way to help you.

Internet is included for free but it is not very good as it drops out more than the indicated 20 mins timelsot and slow. but I guess when it's free you can't relaly complain. They do have free WIFI available too.

Overall I would recommend this hostel for younger travellers as this is the scene here.
Location is good as it is only abouy 10 mins Temple Bar area and the main sights of Dublin. The bus fromt he sirport stops right down the road from the hostel aswell.

Nice and clean but for younger people overall.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple