Avalon House
Drury Court Hotel(Dublin)
Brooks Hotel(Dublin)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfree breakfasttemple barsmall roomgrafton streettrinity collegedormirelandpub
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I was very impressed with Avalon house. Stayed in a room with 4 friends. The room had a private bathroom and shower. The shower was kind of bad though - it just has a push button, so water flows for about 5 seconds and is lukewarm. However, this is because Avalon advertises that it is a 'Green Hostel'. Excellent location, clean, decent continental breakfast, and there's a great coffee shop (The Bald Barista) attatched to the hostel. Also, there are pay per day lockers and a free locked room in the basement, where you can leave your bags. I felt very safe at the hostel - nothing was stolen, etc. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Avalon House had a broken lift when I was there, and there was no way I could haul my extra heavy luggage all the way up to my third floor room. (Thankfully, another visitor there saw my situation and whisked my luggage right up to the third floor for me without even asking! What a hero!)
I read somewhere that Avalon house used to be a hospital, and it felt like it.
The single room I had was run down, the bed narrow and extremely uncomfortable; I could feel the wire net underneath the mattress. My room was at the end of the hallway and the heat didn't make it all the way over there. It was freezing. The bathroom was old, rundown, ugly, and cold; the shower wasn't hot enough (there was no temperature control; there was a button on the wall you pushed for water) which made showering in the already freezing room painful.
Some of the staff were rude, chatting freely away on the phone with a friend while I was kept waiting at the desk.
Seemed like a horror show to me. Sorry.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2009

I was in Avalon House for 3 days. Has a perfect location, and staff is friendly. But is unconfortable, horrible showers and breakfast... Not so good like they say on his web

Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Staff was so-so, some were extremely helpful and others were just a little cold (but not an issue). I was annoyed with the check-in/check-out. They will not let you check in even a minute early so you wait until 2pm and there's a huge line. They have a luggage room for storing luggage before of after your stay but you can only put your luggage in during the first ten minutes of the hour (you can retrieve it any time).

Location is fine, it's not in a big area or anything but Dublin is so walkable that it wasn't an issue at all. 10-20 minutes walk to pretty much anything except the Guinness Factory (maybe 30-35 minute walk but not bad). The cafe attached to the hostel, the Bald Barista, is awesome. I had the best espresso there than in the rest of Europe during my whole trip (France and Italy included). Free breakfast and it's buffet style.

We stayed in a four-person mixed room and there were 2 bunk beds, no locker, and a sink. I was the only women and had I been traveling alone, I'm not sure how much I would have liked that (but I was with my boyfriend so it was fine this time). Room was pretty clean and there were plenty of showers to accommodate everybody (but only on one floor of the hostel). The shower was weird though, you had to press the knob in every other minute for water and it was annoying when trying to shave legs.

Free internet on computers (not sure about wi-fi), but computers were slow and annoying.

Overall I would stay here for one night, but I wouldn't stay here for multiple nights back to back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2009

The lady at the desk was awesome. She had a line of pple waiting, but gave ample time to everyone to answer their detailed questions. There is a large kitchen area, as well as an attatched coffee shop you can spend time in too.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo