“A great HOSTEL experience!”
Review of Avalon House

Avalon House
Ranked #25 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Hello to all the staff at Avalon House!

I had a great time in the hostel in early January 2011.

I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly in answering my questions. They had a thorough knowledge of the city and the attractions that were worth visiting. I stayed 4 days at the start of my trip and then a final night at the end of my trip. On both occasions i was in my own room. The rooms are cozy but have plenty of space to relax and spread your belongings out. The heating in the rooms was good too. I was never cold in the time i stayed in the hostel even though it was the middle of winter. The beds and linen were very clean on both visits. On the first part of the trip i used the shared bathrooms. The showers work on timers, which wasn't a problem, if you don't finish all you need to do is press the button again and the water continues flowing. The temperature of the shower was great. The en suite i had on my return visit had a similar setup and it was again very clean. There is free internet and WiFi in the lobby. A games room/ entertainment room in the basement and there are also coin operated washing machines and dryers. There is a kitchen in the hostel which is very spacious and clean and had all the utensils, pots and pans necessary for cooking. The location is quite central and getting to the downtown attractions is very easy, either by walking or by taking the nearby buses. If you are interested in the nightlife, there is plenty of options nearby and all are within an easy walking distance from the hostel. There are some great traditional Irish pubs close to Avalon House. Be sure to check out the Stag bar - great place!
On friday and saturday nights expect to hear people coming in late, this is normal and happens all over the world in hostels. The noise on these nights wasn't a problem at all for me, i suppose it will depend on how light or heavy a sleeper you are. Apart from this the hostel is very quiet.
The Bald Barista cafe that is connected to hostel makes excellent coffees and the meals are very good too. If cooking isn't your thing or you want something different, give the cafe a try.

Thanks to Dermot, Mary, Steve and Nicola for making my trip to Ireland that much more enjoyable. Cheers Guys!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Avalon House

Reviewed 19 January 2011

Great for a safe, clean place to stay in Dublin. It's walkable to everything, Temple bar, city center, Dame St., etc. The bus (2.20 Euro/one way) to/from the airport picks up and drops off within walking distance from the front door. I stayed in a private, shared bathroom for 24.00 Euro/night for 3 nights in January and it was well worth it.
I had internet in my room, it was slow, but it worked overall. The lobby has free computers and is relatively busy t/o the day. The staff is amazing! Very friendly, knowledgeable, and easy on the eyes...which is always nice. :)
I have seen the 2/bed and 4/bed rooms, I agree with the previous reviews, they are small and you will be navigating each other just to move around.
There is Fixx Coffee shop connected to the hostel, they do not take CC, Euro only FYI. Tours (Pub Crawl/General walking tour) are promoted at the front desk from New Europe Tours, well worth checking out. They provide holding of your bags for 1 Euro/day with 9 Euro deposit If you want to kill some time before/after you check in.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2010

I read the reviews for AH before going to Dublin and was a little nervous about staying there, but getting there I realized I had nothing to worry about . I think some of the reviewers here are forgetting that this is a hostel, not a five-star hotel. Even with that in mind, I really enjoyed myself.

At the end of September I traveled through Dublin and stayed at the Avalon House without a previous reservation. I was traveling by myself and a little apprehensive. The staff were VERY helpful, though. When I lost my key, when I had to keep asking questions, they were patient with me and even friendly.

I thought that the place on the whole was very clean and the other travelers were friendly enough- not overly intrusive (or extrusive for that matter.) People were polite and helpful when I had to ask even the non-staff questions.

The free breakfast in the morning is really nice too. It's cold conti, but it looked like people made multiple trips if they weren't filled the first time (I didn't. Maybe there's a surcharge?) The Bald Barista cafe is very nice too. I'm a professionally trained barista and this was hands down the best espresso I had anywhere in my travels.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2010

This was our first hostel experience and it turned out very good. We arrived and were greeted by very friendly staff. Purchased a large storge locker for my backpack and purchased items at a cost of 1 euro a day. Stayed in a 12 bed mixed room and had no issues with getting a great nights sleep. The breakfast was pretty simple- oatmeal and bread with jam, but for free we couldn't complain too much. It was also within a mile or two of all the major attractions- Jameson Distillery, Guiness Storehouse, Trinity College, St Patricks Cathedral, Jervis Shopping Center, and the Spire. When I return to Dublin I will most likely be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Great place, staff was superfriendly and helpfull! Room was fine, hostel location is really good.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2010

This hostel was booked initially for our first night in Ireland before we set off on a trip around the country. We had read many reviews for different hostels and decided in the end to go with Avalon House. It was the right decision! everything about this hostel made the start of an awesome holiday in Ireland seem like a dream.

The staff were always friendly and happy to help with anything we needed.. The Kitchen was a great size and always very clean. We booked a quad room on the first night and ended up in their alone which was a bonus. The ensuite was good but has those timed showers for water conservation (which i liked) but they were a little too quick to turn off meaning you had to hold it on for most of the shower.

Other great things i found were the free WiFi and free breakfast which got the day off to a great start. Needless to say we booked in again for our last night in Dublin before returning home.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We spent a week in this place and I must say that our room, which was a double room, was TOO SMALL. we could barely find some room for our lugage.

On top of that, the milk at the cafe was disgusting and the elevator didn't work the first four days.

Nevertherless I must say that the people at the reception were very nice to us and they would help us out with anything. The location of the hostel was also great.