“Brewery Hostel - decent!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brewery Hostel

Brewery Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dublin
Ranked #67 of 104 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
London
“Brewery Hostel - decent!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

A decent hostel - clean and spacious...pretty grumpy staff though.

Would suit travellers/backpackers- particularly for long term stays as the atmosphere was a little hostile to outsiders.

We travelled in a group of 5 girls for a birthday so perhaps we weren't their ideal clientele (obviously staying for a long weekend isn't quite as cool as bumming around with a backpack on your shoulders for years), even though we're not the rowdiest of groups.

The accommodation was absolutely fine - 4 sets of bunk beds and a bathroom in our room. Good value for money.

Location not brilliant....a huge hill to contend with...but hey maybe we're just a bit lazy!

No real complaints....but not the friendliest place to stay

Stayed March 2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2006

I stayed in this hostel as a "long termer"...meaning, I lived there for 8 weeks during the summer. I was new to the city and found the staff very helpful and informative. They are more than willing to help you with directions, advice on finding a job, house hunting etc.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and because you are not smack bang in the city centre, you actually get some sleep. They have a lovely lounge area, a very relaxed and warm room to meet people. The internet is free and you get a self serve breakfast (all you can eat) I have traveled through many countries and stayed in many hostels, this one is one of my favorites because it is cozy and funky...unlike "chain" hostels that have sterile common areas that remind me of my days in boarding school.

I am puzzled as to why the hostel has received a few negative comments; I always find that first time hostel users or princesses are the first to complain if something doesn’t go their way or surprise, surprise, a hostel doesn’t look like "the Hilton". I am still puzzled as to why those people choose to travel when clearly they are not cut out for it. So thank you, Brewery Hostel…I’ll be back!

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2006

I have never experienced anything like this hostel before. The rooms were a disgrace, the prices were ridiculous, the Manager (no words to discribe - utterly rude) the overall condition extremely poor. We stayed two nights in a double room with an ensuite. We arrived to a very unwelcoming manager (chris), we were given a room which we paid 75 euros per night and when I walked in I was absolutely appalled. It smelt, it was tiny and the full of flies and mosquitoes. Went to have a shower and realised there was no hot water. After telling Chris she said the problem would be fixed by morning. We were gettign ready for a festival and were in a rush. Again there was no hot water. After getting our stuff ready we went down to explain our problem - afterall we had just paid for an ensuite room (75 euros) and no hot water. Since we had paid in advance for the Sunday night Chris said that she could not refund us for the night we just stayed but that we could have a refund for the Sunday if we wanted , but she knew we were stuck because we wanted to leave our belongings there while away for one night. We said that we would still stay on the Sunday as long as we had hot water. She then went on to say that the room that she booked us into on Sunday had a very small leak coming from the roof but had not leaked in some time. We said as long as it had hot water and the leak wasnt too bad then that would be ok. We arrived back late on Sunday, went to our room and it was far worse than the first. It was leaking heavily, they had a bucket and towls all around it, the leak was exactly next to the bed so it kept us up alot of the night. There were hairballs on our supposedly clean towls and a leak from the bathroom exhaust fan and NO HOT WATER AGAIN. We complained to reception which was a guy. He didnt seem to care at all. The following morning AGAIN no hot water. My boyfriend went down stairs quiet upset and stated our case, the girl there asked what we wanted her to do about it. She gave us the key two her dorm room to have a shower but there was someone in there and we had no time to wait so we showered with ice cold water. Eventually she gave us a refund, but when I checked my statement they ACTUALLY charged me for the night refunded. I rang Chris who said that we were told the state of the room and therefore were not entiltled to a refund, I told her it was an unauthorised transaction and she told me that she didnt care and then hung up on me. I have been working with my bank to get the money back and today it finally came back. I never bother with reviwes normally but I feel very strongly about letting people know about the downfalls of this place. In my 5 years of being a backpacker and stauing in some pretty hairy places (cambodia, Thailand) never have a experienced such a disgusting place with such rude, embarrsing management

• Disliked — the manager, the rooms, cold showers, dirty towels and sheets
  • Tips/Secrets — never go
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mandee81
Breweryhostel, manager at Brewery Hostel, responded to this review, 12 October 2006
Hello,
When we have dissatisfied guests we try to make every effort to be accommodating. If they have a booking for more than one night and they are unhappy with the room, we try to make them happy by shifting the booking either to a different room or to one of our sister properties, many times at what is a discounted rate since many of our other properties are booked at more expensive rates. If we have guests who are dissatisfied and they do not agree to move to these other rooms or properties we will offer a refund if there is a real problem with the room. If they are given the option of a refund when I (the manager) am here, and the option of moving to another property for the rest of their booking, but they still say they want to stay here another night, then I think it’s fair that I say that they cannot have a refund the next day when I am not here… no matter how threatening and aggressive they are the next day when I am not here. Am I right? Is that fair?? It’s like eating dinner at a restaurant and then saying you’re not paying for it. You don’t get to do that, do you?
Unfortunately it is a reality in hostels that sometimes people steal. -We offer a free lock up service at the reception desk which everyone who checks in is told about and which there are signs posted about. Sometimes people choose not to do this and things go missing. One thing I can guarantee is that it certainly is not my staff that takes these things. They have far easier access to far more valuable things than an individual camera for instance and most of them have been working here for between six months and two and a half years.
Think about it. If you have a good stay somewhere and we tell you about bus tours and bicycle routes and call restaurants for you and show you directions around the city you say ‘bye! Thanks for everything, you guys are awesome! See you again next year!’ and off you merrily go. But if something goes wrong for you, you get out your poison pen and go hunting for internet sites. Thanks to computers I can see that from when I started in mid-April thru Wednesday Oct. 11th, 14,338 beds have been booked here. With an average 2 day stay that’s 7,169 people. You do the math on who’s been happy and who’s not.
In my 7 years of living in North Asia and going beyond the Banana Pancake Trail of Thailand and Cambodia to Russia, The Ukraine, Morocco, Mongolia, Bangladesh and 46 more..- I’ve seen all kinds ‘traveling’ and 'backpacking'. From kids so naive I don’t know how they cross the road in their home countries to the Malaysian king and entourage (twice). From petty thieves to professional con-artists and once even an extended family of Maltese arms smugglers. It’s too bad there isn’t a good website for reviewing customers.
You're always welcome to come and see the facilities here at the hostel for yourself. We have many repeat customers and many who stay for long periods of time. Please keep in mind that just because an individual 'backpacker' has written a review, this does not mean it's an unbiased review. Thank you for your time.
Chris
Brewery Hostel

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Madrid
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2006

We have been in several hostels in the past, but this is the worst place we have ever been. It is very dirty, specially the rooms (I was beaten by bugs in the linen), the water supply is really poor and frequently cut, the room smelled awful (guinnes factory very close), they robbed our cameras in the room (with the doors closed, so the staff is suspicious), etc, etc. A place to take to the court. DON'T EVER GO TO THIS PLACE

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — when they robbed us
  • Tips/Secrets — don't ever stay at this place or take locks for everything you have
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Spanish_traveller2
Manchester, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2006

We spent a fantastic weekend in lovely sunny Dublin....... which was almost ruined by our accommodation at this hostel. We weren't expecting a lot as it was as cheap as chips but there were 7 of us who all agreed that it was the worst place we have ever stayed. It didn't bode well when we were greeted by possibly the rudest most unhelpful woman in the world on reception who didn't have a smile or nice/helpful thing to say all weekend. The room was basic but not particularly clean- (eg. mouldy crisps down the side of the bed.) We were encouraged NOT to flush the toilet due to water pressure problems which we experienced the next morning when our shower ran out of cold water. We persevered, using some water bottles to wash with, but it was more than a joke when we returned in the evening and the shower still didn't work. The staff's solution to the problem was to hand out room keys willy-nilly to any room that had a working shower (which wasn't many) no matter who was staying in it. The funniest bit was that there appeared to be plenty of water in the building evidenced by the amount that was dripping through the lounge's ceiling. The icing on the cake was the clump of somebody else's hair that I found in the towel that I hired from reception. I would not recommend anyone with any need for basic human rights to stay at this hostel and am planning to write a letter of complaint to them.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AmabelF
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2004

I stayed at the Brewery Hostel on my last night in Dublin after a few days of traveling around Ireland. It's a bit out of the way and the area doesn't look like the best place in Dublin. The staff at the hostel were pretty rude, and even the nice ones were simply dismissive.
They weren't consistent (ie: one person told me the kitchen was the only place I could eat and was open 24/7, another told me to eat in the livingroom when I tried to get into the kitchen, etc) and there seemed to be 5-10 staff around at any given time, yet it was difficult to get anyone to answer a question or even check me in. The room was comfortable and it was the best shower I had during my whole trip, which is a big plus. However, the staff were having a loud party below my window well into the night and spent an hour running into rooms and opening doors and turning on lights after another traveler threw a bottle at them out the window. So it was rowdy and it's never good when the people in charge are the ones making the ruckus! Ultimately, if there's nowhere else to stay that's cheap, it's not such a bad place -- it's comfortable and clean and, despite the distance, accessible (since Dublin's so small). But I would stay here only if you're traveling with someone else -- don't come here alone.

• Stayed March 2004
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2001

I went to the Brewery Hostel some time ago, I was 18 and it was my first trip abroad alone.
When I got there I felt like if I were home. The staff is fantastic and very friendly, always ready to help. The hostel is nice and welcoming.
I slept in multi beded rooms. They are mixed rooms (i.e.boys and girls) and I met cute people there. All rooms are en-suited with hot-showers.
Breakfast is served in the kitchen, which you can use to cook your own food.
The hostel is very well located (near temple bar) and there is no curfew.
If you are planning to go to Dublin and are seraching for cheap good accomodation this is your place =)

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member