“Sleep - Forget It!”

Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sleep - Forget It!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! I was a guest there on Wednesday and Thursday, October 23 and 24, 2013, and I probably got a grand total of 5 hours of sleep over those two nights due to street noise from nearby clubs. When I complained after the first night I was told that the noise was to be expected because the street was a popular hang-out. I asked for a different room and they said the were full and could not move me. The second night was so bad I called the front desk at 12:30 to complain. The phone rang many times, I didn't count how many and I finally hung up. I waited several minutes - using my time to record the street noise on my iPad which I will share with anyone who wants it - and called again. This time I counted 23 rings before it was answered by a sleepy sounding woman. I told her the noise was too high to sleep and she said that she saw the police working their way in our direction to quiet the revelers down. The police did finally arrive and they dispersed the crowd but as soon as the police left the crowd was back. The last car stopped honking at about 5:00 a.m. Yes, they honk much like a football crowd leaving the stadium parking after a big game. And, just to be clear this was a Thursday night. When I checked out the next morning I was not asked if my stay was satisfactory. To tell you the truth I don't think they really cared.
Otherwise, the WiFi is only available in the lounge which has seen better days. The location is good. The room was clean and in good condition. If you have no plans to sleep while in Dublin Harrington Hall will do just fine. And, if you plan to go clubbing while there this is the place for you. As for me, I rate sleep high on my rankings of places I will return to. This place I am only trying to forget. PASS IT BY.

Room Tip: If you must stay here do your very best to get a room in the rear. Otherwise, consider sleeping in t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank George R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

It was in a good position in the centre of Dublin, walking distance to all Grafton and temple bar. Our double sized room was big and clean, the staffs were friendly. Cooked breakfast was good and free secure parking was a big plus. The downside is the noise, you won't get any sleep if your room happened to be located on the front side of the property.

Room Tip: asked for rooms at the back of the property
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer P
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was affordable accommodation - no lifts so luggage up and down stairs however the staff were more than willing to assist with any request. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was very good. The hotel is well located to walk into Dublin - very close to St Stephen's Green. Recommend taxi to and from the airport as where the shuttle drops off is quite a walk from the hotel if you have cumbersome luggage. Wifi in lounge area only.

Room Tip: Room away from the street is better although we were tired out each day so slept well.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This was a nice older propoerty with good clean rooms. The staff was friendly, but unhelpful. Due to the warm weather and no A/C, we had to keep the window open. Our night started out great until the street filled with young, loud people after 11PM. There was a night club across the street and people and taxi's filled the steet with drinking and fun on the street. Then the taxi's came in force by 2PM and they literally honked their horns for 2 hours. It was a disaster. No sleep at all and the staff did not care in the least. Our group had two rooms facing the street and one facing the back. The one facing the back had a good stay, the two facing the street had a horrible experience. Parking is a mess...very small and you have to leave your keys at the desk so they can move your car to get others out. You will be blocked in as well.

Room Tip: If you do not face the back, DO NOT stay here. Parking a car here is also a challenge.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaveTexas70
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed at Harrington Hall for five days and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. We had a well appointed room, super clean and spacious. We were close to everything and walked everywhere around town without difficulty: St-Stephen Green, Trinity College, Tourism Office, pubs and restaurants, etc. The hotel had a comfortable living room on the ground floor where we were able to access internet. A truly nice hotel at very competitive rates.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor and at the back of the hotel and we had no problem with noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LuceHenriette
Boston, MA
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I agree with what everyone else has said about the noise levels on the street in front of the hotel. The hotel is located in an area with lots of students, so naturally, along with students you've got all-night partying. However, Harrington Hall is in a great location for getting to all the best sights in Dublin. The room itself was clean and comfortable, but if I stayed again, I would definitely ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

VERY Noisy, poor service, no ventilation & only partially updated. We had the pleasure of looking at dirty laundry bags outside our room door each day of our stay. Rude staff members did nothing to add to the "ambiance & experience" of a potentially true Georgian gem. Nor where they very knowledgable about their surroundings. Caveat Emptor!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple