“Excellent night of theatre”
Review of Abbey Theatre

Abbey Theatre
Ranked #42 of 545 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: The Abbey Theatre's founders W.B. Yeats and Lady Gregory had the vision to 'bring upon the stage the deeper thoughts and emotions of Ireland'. Our ambitious artistic programme of classic Irish drama and new Irish writing holds a mirror up to Irish society. Over the years, the Abbey has nurtured and premiered the work of major Irish playwrights such as Marina Carr, Frank McGuinness, Tom Murphy and a new generation of writers such as Richard Dormer, Stacey Gregg, Nancy Harris and Elaine Murphy. We also nurture a new generation of Irish artists through our artistic development programmes and commitment to discovering new acting, writing and directing talent.
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Saw this fantastic production of Lear at a preview performance last Saturday night, over 3 hours long but keeps the audience engaged the whole way through. You quickly tune into the Shakespearean language and become absorbed by the fine performances in particular Owen Roe in a masterful performance as Lear, Aaron Monaghan as 'poor Tom', and Hugh O'Connor as the fool, three standing ovations on the night!

2  Thank amosdublin
There are newer reviews for Abbey Theatre

Reviewed 13 February 2013

I saw King Lear here- great production but my review is for the venue itself- simply no other theater in Dublin can match the seats for comfort, position (all pitched back from each other so no heads in the way), proper temperature control, lots of air and the nicest bar staff. I've seen shows in the Gaiety and the Olympia and I always feel like I'm crunched in. The Gate is so stuffy I always feel like I'm gonna faint after an hour and I long for the shows to end to get out.

1  Thank Orphan_Andy
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I am happy for the actors, that so many people seem to love this play. I myself left in the (first) break, because to me the staging was very boring. Props and sometimes people seem to be on stage, just because they are available. I didn't understand the reason why there is e.g. a big dog, hooded men on the "first floor", people carrying around things, so that others can sit on it..... and so on. It was my first vistit in Abbey Theatre and I was disappointed. Nevertheless: good luck for the future!

3  Thank Alina W
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Much to my amazement as this was the first Shakespeare play I have ever seen live. I found that this play sucked me in and was totally riveting. Owen Roe was superb as King Lear and it is worth going to, just to see his performance. It is probaly unfair to pick out anyone else as the rest of the cast and the staging was just so good.. If you can at all go and see it, believe me you won't regret it.

4  Thank OSullivan49
Reviewed 9 February 2013

We went to see King Lear last night and loved it.
It is a powerful drama from start to finish and Owen Roe is superb. I remember seeing him 20 years ago in Wet Paint productions and I have always felt he has great presence. But for this play he had to show his craft Beth Cooke,Aaron Monaghan and Sean Campion stood out in a cast which delivered Shakespeare's lines with wonderful clarity and feeling.
The stage craft,set,choreography,lighting, costumes and music were all of such a standard that the audience was well engaged for every minute of nearly three hours. Two Irish Wolfhounds added a lovely extra colour to what was a wonderful spectacle.
We are not big theatre goers,but we were badly bitten by the bug last night.

2  Thank jggy2003