“Not as close to city center as expected”

O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel
Ranked #67 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Nice older hotel. Room was very small, barely room to walk around bed, but guess all you really need is a bed to sleep as you are out of the room most of the time. Bath was small but nice & clean. Our room was hot, had to open the windows which allowed street noise into room. Overall room was fine, but hotel was a good walk to restaurants and attractions. Loved the breakfast. The pancakes were tiny but crisp and very flavorful with a wonderful berry compote. Service was good. Reception was helpful with maps and suggestions and the staff in the restaurant was attentive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gary m, Manager at O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate you taking the time to pass on your experience. We take both positive and negative feedback on board and endeavor to improve our service with it. I would like to apologies if you suffered any inconvenience during your stay and the chefs will be delight that there pancakes went down a treat . I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hospitality in the not too distant future

There are newer reviews for O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very well located. 10 min walking from the city center. The service is good but the room is not very big and we ear the street traffic. The bathroom was not very clean and we had to turn off the power of the entire room because of the noise from the air system.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Damien,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor, I am sorry that this is the first we are hearing of your disappointment. We genuinely like to hear from our guests whilst they are with us so that we have an opportunity to rectify any issues or at least understand what the problems are. I am sorry we did not have this opportunity during your visit with us. I would like to apologies for this disruption to you stay and I have spoken to both the housekeeping department and maintenance regarding the issue you raise as these are not the standard levels of service we provide at the Mont Clare Hotel. I do hope that we will have an opportunity to service your hotel requirements again and with that in mind I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Operation Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Our 'first' room was spacious-a surprise for a European hotel. But no luggage cart since we were sort of on the 3/12 th floor. The first night was ok. but the second was sooooo hot that we had to have our room changed[with no other compensation] and that room I had to turn the thermostat down to 0 C and was barely tolerable. Get this, an Irish hotel bar with NO Jameson Irish whiskey on either day. Bummer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Paradeprez

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel, we really do appreciate the feedback. I would like to start by sincerely apologizing for the issues you experienced whilst in our hospitality. I have taken note of your comment and have raised the issue with both the maintenance manager and also our Bar manager as I agreed every Irish bar should have Jameson . Once again please accept my apologies and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards

Operation Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I can't say enough good about the O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel. First, the location is, in my view, the best in Dublin. Very close to all the sights and a stone's throw from the rest. "Centrally Located" doesn't cover the half of it! Then there's the price. Very affordable! Compared to most of the other hotels in the immediate area this hotel is by far the best choice from a fiscal perspective. Then there's the service. Top notch in my experience! Really, all you can ask for, unless for you money is no object. In the real world, this hotel should be your pick!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

I am always happy to hear from our guests about their experience of Mont Clare hotel Dublin, what was great about their stay as well as any comments to help us provide an even more memorable experience for our guests.
When I receive a review like yours, it is such a positive reinforcement of the combined efforts of our entire team who striveto provide maximum guest satisfaction.I will be sure to share your feedback with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mont Clare Hotel Dublin in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Mont Clare is perfectly situated for many of Dublin's attractions. Unfortunately our stay was cut short due to a canceled flight and we were unable to take full advantage of this. We did walk to Trinity College and a museum is located directly behind the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We did have some trouble with the parking garage that resulted in us paying quite a bit more than we should have. It appears to have been resolved now, but the hassle and the money we put out initially were not insignificant. Make sure you bring your ticket to the desk and have it validated. Also, the machine that takes money wasn't accepting bills one day when we were there, so it is a good idea to have some coins with you. Overall, the rooms were clean and quiet and the atmosphere was pleasant. I wish I had recovered a little more quickly from the jet lag so I could have taken advantage of all the attractions located within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Gary m, Manager at O'Callaghan Mont Clare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Apologies regarding the issues you occurred with the parking and we have put procedures in place to ensure this doesn't happen again and I am delighted that the issues was sorted out as quick as possible for you.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed in the Mont Clare for one night while in Dublin for the 1 Direction concert and found the hotel to be perfect for our requirements. The location is fantastic, only a short walk (7 mins approx) from Stephen's Green and Grafton Street. Rooms were very clean, comfortable and beds were extremely comfortable.

We met a lovely girl on reception who couldn't have done enough for us. She checked us in and while we were in the room getting ready for the concert, she looked up bus options for us to get to Croke Park. She was on duty again the following morning and was so pleasant and friendly, even though she was very busy on the switchboard directing calls.

The one gripe I had was that the hotel bar was closed to residents when we got back from the concert and were informed it wasn't open until 12.30am for residents. It didn't bother us too much anyway as we only wanted soft drinks. Besides that everything was perfect and we enjoyed our brief stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Apologies regarding not having access to the bar on the night in question as we did have a function on we always have a area reserved for guest I will look into this and am delighted that this did not hamper your stay.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good hotel with great staff. This hotel is situated within walking distance of the city center. The food was good and hearty. For anyone who is going to tour Dublin (do the hop on, hop off bus), this is an ideal place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple