“Harding - great value, great location, a bit stuffy (temp.-wise)”
Review of Harding Hotel

Harding Hotel
Ranked #27 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Vancouver, Canada
“Harding - great value, great location, a bit stuffy (temp.-wise)”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The Harding was great value for my teenaged son and I: great location, nice old building, great front desk service. I would probably go back. The room itself was really hot and stuffy, but the window opened, and they'd provided a fan that did the trick. The beds were big and comfortable (I like firm mattresses), and we slept like babies. I read a couple of other reviews that complained about the sounds of the hostel/pub outside our window, and the all-night church bells - but the bells were muted and quite lovely, and the pub festivities were basically over by 11 or earlier each night we were there, so were no problem at all. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 was: no ventilation in the small bathroom (it reeked a bit when we first arrived until we aired it out), plus the little shelf was falling off and needed repair. The breakfast at the Copper Alley Bistro was horrible - I'm pretty sure everything was frozen or canned - but breakfast wasn't included anyways, so we were not forced to eat there. The location, and price, are truly superb.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Hawkwoman64,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Harding Hotel following your recent visit to Dublin city.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Dublin, it was indeed our pleasure to have looked after you and your son.

It was lovely to read that you enjoyed the hotel's staff, finding them to be so welcoming and friendly and that you found the hotel's location to be very convenient to your needs while visiting Dublin.

I would hope that we may be able to accommodate you again should you visit Dublin in the future.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
SW UK
Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

Great location and great value.
Would highly recommend if it wasnt for the god damn church bells that go on through out the night !!!

Also the rooms are like saunas ! The hotel provide table side fans as air con but don't cut the mustard !

• Stayed July 2012
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear VAcabincrew,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Harding hotel following your recent stay when visiting Dublin.

I was delighted to read that your experience of the Harding Hotel was positive allowing for the Christchurch Cathedral bells.

While we do find that some guests find the bells somewhat bothersome, we would advise any guests who may be light sleepers to request a room to the rear of the hotel away from the bells and we will do our best to allocate them away from the Cathedral and any possible disturbance.
However in saying this many guests do find the bells charming and non intrusive as well as adding to the history of the hotel's location in the Old City area of Dublin.

I would hope that we may be able to accomodate you in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend were just spending a few days in Dublin so I researched hotels that were in the average price range and had decent reviews! I found the Harding and was excited because it was a good location for walking to everything we wanted. We found it relativatly easy to find and the outside and lobby were promising with a bar right downstairs (which is always great). But once in our room I was completely disappointed (and a little skeeked) for the amount of money we were paying there are holes in the wall, dirty carpet ( i kept my socks on eventhough I was sweating) shower curtain rod is being held up by duck tape, towel rack feel off when I was drying my hands no air conditioning and a itibitty tv. Granted we arent here for the tv but for the money I would expect something more.

As for the church bells...it honestly depends on the person bc they do ring every hour. They are beautiful but I don't want to hear them every freaking hour!

Some positives....friendl, free wifi, walking distant to everything

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Suzie M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Harding hotel following your recent visit to Dublin.

While I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the majority of the hotel's facilities and its location but am disappointed to hear that you had some issues with the room you were allocated.

I will certainly investigate the points you have raised and rectify them as soon as we can. Please rest assured that all carpets are vacuumed daily and cleaned as regularly as possible.

Should you wish to contact me directly at the hotel's email address or over the telephone to discuss any of these matters further I would appreciate discussing your feedback.

Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed at the Harding for a few days at the end of June. We loved our room, and it was right over the pub downstairs. I read some reviews that spoke of hearing noise but we didn't have that problem. Everything was very nice and we were warmly greeted when we got there. There was a fan for us in the room already, complimentary coffee, iron/ironing board, and internet. The internet was a bit spotty and went out one day, but I took my computer down to the lobby and was able to connect again. There was a little mold in the shower, but not nearly enough to make me bring it to the hotel's attention.

They also arranged our taxi for us before we left, helped us find our way around town, and we got a great breakfast at the attached Copper Alley bistro. I highly recommend Darkey Kelly, the attached pub - good food and good drinks!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Manager_Harding, General Manager at Harding Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear amystar137,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of the Harding Hotel to share your experience of your recent visit to Dublin.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time spent with us and it was indeed a pleasure for the all of the staff to have looked after you.
I'm glad that you found the hotel room to be clean and comfortable and also that you found our staff to be warm, welcoming and helpful.

I will certainly look into the issue with the shower tiles for future guests.

I would hope that we may be able to accommodate you should you return to Dublin.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

Great location, great service, friendly. For the price well worth the value. Came here for the Springsteen concert and I thoroughly enjoyed the service. The manager and the young lady at the desk were more than accommodating and helpful in every way. I will be back here.

Stayed July 2012
Dear Jackie B B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Harding Hotel following your recent visit to Dublin.

It was our pleasure to have accommodated you for your stay recently, I'm delighted that you enjoyed the Harding Hotel and also Dublin for the Bruce Springsteen concert.

I was very glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's excellent location as well as our warm and friendly staff and that you felt that that the Harding Hotel is good value for money.
It is always encouraging for the hotel staff to read reviews that appreciate all their efforts to maintain our standards.

I would hope that we may be able to accommodate you again in the very near future should you return to Dublin.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The hotel is very good located for those interested in visiting the city. There is a direct bus from the airport that stops very close-by. Take the airlink bus, at 10 euro return ticket. You will read the name of the hotel already in the stops map at the airport and inside the bus.
I stayed there 4 nights and it is walking distance from the major tourists attractions (museums, castle, church) and from the majority of restaurants and pubs for the evening. In my room the heating was very high when I arrived and my first night was not peaceful but after that the reception staff helped me and fixed to the right temperature. The staff is very helpful and nice, always smiling. The room was at the last, 5th floor and was silent (despite other reviews worried me a bit). I had a nice bow window to enjoy the light of Dublin. (but certainly not the view of the other roofs, not astonishing). Unfortunately, I cannot say anything about breakfast as it started at 7.30 and since I was there for business reasons, I always had to leave at the same time 7.30. Anyway it is plenty of coffee bars where to go outside. or you can make yourself a coffee in your room with the complimentary Nescafe available.
Good value for money! I can certainly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear hinanos,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and found the hotel's location and our warm friendly staff to be so accommodating to make your experience so positive.

It was indeed our pleasure to have looked after you and we are so glad that you thought the service and standards were to your expectations.
I would hope that we may have another opportunity to accommodate you in the very near future.

Corvallis
Reviewed 17 July 2012

The Harding Hotel is an excellent base from which to explore Dublin. We walked everywhere we wanted to go! We asked for an upper floor quiet room and that is what we got. Our room wasn't fancy, but clean and priced right. (Why do people expect a luxury hotel at economy rates?) Service was outstanding. Aine in particular went above and beyond the call of duty to arrange for us to pick up an item we had left in a rental car when we dropped it off at the airport. She made multiple calls and we did end up getting the item back. Thanks, Aine!

Room Tip: Don't bring a car to Dublin!! First, you don't need one if you're staying at the Harding...