“Avoid if you want to sleep”

The Fleet Street Hotel
Ranked #63 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“Avoid if you want to sleep”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here last night, was booked in by work for business. When I checked into room 315 at 7pm, I looked out the window, it was dark but I could see the room wasn't overlooking the street and I didn't care that there was no view.
I went to meet some friends for dinner, then went to bed at 11ish, I heard a generator kicking in outside my window but assumed it was going to stop - it didn't for the entire night. I was going to complain to reception but I checked reviews on Trip Advisor and read how another customer had to wait ages for another room + how they then got moved to a room facing the street + still couldn't sleep with the sounds of Temple Bar revellers. I was so tired that I couldn't face complaining so I stuffed cotton wool in my ears + put a pillow over my head but the sound was like a vibration going through the room. I did complain to reception that morning but he said regular guests normally request that room because it's so quiet - I find that impossible to believe. I then discovered later at my work meeting that my colleague from Galway had been staying in the same hotel that night in a room on the 1st floor and she didn't sleep either because of the noise from the street and then builders in the morning! Some positives: clean room, central location, adequate breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Maria W
Magdalena P, Front Office Manager at The Fleet Street Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Maria W

Thank you for having stayed with us and for taking the time to review your experience of The Fleet Street Hotel.

As a very centrally located establishment, The Fleet Street Hotel enjoys its most convenient location in Dublin in many ways, unfortunately indeed it may come with a price of a disturbed night sleep caused by either local business’s ventilation systems or busy street noise, therefore we can never truly guaranty complete quiet night sleep, nevertheless we take every room requests very seriously as we do have bedrooms where level of noise is at its minimum (as can be attested from the many positive comments we receive).
Summing up it is most disappointing to read your comments about the room in which you stayed and that your experience was not brought to our attention prior to your departure from the hotel.
I wish to assure you that had your dissatisfaction been made known to any member of our dedicated team, every effort would have been made to ensure your total satisfaction while staying with us regardless the time of day and night.
Given your experience I recognize that your perception of us is not what we identify ourselves with and I would appreciate the opportunity, if you allow us, to restore your faith in our facilities and service. I would therefore be grateful if you would get in touch with me on magdalena@fleetstreethotel.com so I can not only apologize to you in person but also discuss the possibility of a return visit to the Fleet Street Hotel.

Magdalena Pszczolkowska

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
birmingham
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Excellent value for money this hotel is right in the centre of dublin so no need for taxis to go to bars and restaurants in the evening. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good too, you can eat as much as you want. I would recommend this hotel for groups of friends, couples and families.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Wendyg40

Great review, thank you, we are all thrilled that you loved everything about The Fleet Street Hotel.
Your full scores say it all.
I am happy that our location suited your needs and that you found it easy to reach city’s wonderful bars and restaurants which are all so convenient and are all in walking distance from the hotel.
I appreciate that you decided to share how impressed you were with every aspect of our facilities and service. Thank you for your recommendations, I will share those with our team.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed here for a weekend recently with the other half and with no major problems. Room was small but bathroom facilities very modern and clean. Staff very approachable and friendly, helped us with directions on several occasions. Room turned around daily. View from our room backed onto surrounding hotels dumping ground but warm and well noise insulated. Would recommend for weekend getaways, excellent location to main attractions.

Dear Elizabeth S

Thank you for your favourable review of The Fleet Street Hotel.
I am pleased that our location worked for you and that the team were able to make your trip such a memorable occasion.
I understand that some views from our internal bedrooms may leave a bit to be desired, although being in the heart of the capital city such is usually a challenge. Fortunately your room was indeed secluded from all the street noise. So I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your quiet and warm night sleep.
I appreciate your support by writing your lovely review and hope that we have the opportunity to thank you personally in a near future.
Thank you for your recommendations which I will pass to our team for all of us to enjoy.

Southampton
Reviewed 13 February 2014

What a great hotel in a fantastic Temple Bar location. It was an easy trip on the bus from the airport and was easy to find once we arrived. The hotel is in the middle of all the bars and restaurants which was exactly what we were there to experience and only a few minutes walk from the shopping streets. Perfect for a six nations rugby weekend.
The service was great when we arrived and we were able to access our room first thing in the morning which was greatly appreciated after an early morning flight.
The room was a little noisy at night due to its location but we had chosen it for that very reason so it wasnt a problem.
Having moved on from hostelling during my city breaks, this is a more than acceptable replacement with great value for money and a little bit of comfort (oh and a private, good pressure shower).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Cookie 35

I am delighted that you had such a great time during this busy Six Nations weekend and that you enjoyed your stay in the heart of the main action. We are indeed very lucky to be in such a great location which is Temple Bar having all landmarks, shops, theatres, restaurants, bars, pubs and nightclubs right outside our door.
On top of that we love to ensure that every guest feels at home and enjoys the warm hospitality that makes them feel so welcome.
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and sharing your positive experience.
I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The location of the hotel was perfect! everything else was terrible, the room was cold when we arrived, the only had on radiator working and they switched that off most of the night. They also left the window open for when we arrived which also didnt help. the room had lots of space, and the bathroom was a good size. the bed itself was very uncomtable the pillows were like rocks they will give you a headache in the morning and the bed is worse that sleeping on the floor. There was loads of noise but we didnt mind that as we were out with the crowd. Location perfect hotel awful.

Room Tip: Dont come to this hotel pay extra for a 4 star
Dear Steve F

Thank you for taking the time to review The Fleet Street Hotel and I regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Indeed Ireland has been experiencing rather low temperatures over past weeks, as a result we not only have modified our heating times but also on every request received we would add additional time to those heating hours without a second thought.
Please be assured that all your comments have been taken on board and highlighted with the relevant departments.
Nevertheless we always encourage our guests to inform us of anything that does not meet theirs expectations during the stay, giving us a chance to recover guest’s dissatisfaction immediately.
For that reason we hope we will be given that opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience our facilities and service which we really pride ourselves on.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused.

oxfordshire
Reviewed 6 February 2014

this hotel is in temple bar, just off the main street where the aircoach will drop you and so central for all things! it is really lovely inside, your feet sink into the lush carpets, and bottoms into the lovely furniture! we stayed in room 301 overlooking the main street and had no problems with noise. The room was lovely and the bathroo amazing! it was just as big as the bedroom and was wet-room style with a light up in the dark shower - very impressive! would recommend this place highly! staff lovely, and great location to pop in and out of for a sighseeing weekend. we paid £95 for two nights in feb and i would gladly stay here again! perfect :)

1 Thank sh06
Magdalena P, Front Office Manager at The Fleet Street Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Newy0rksam

I am very pleased that you had a great stay with us.
Your kind comments of our facilities, location and service are much appreciated, I am particularly glad that you enjoyed the luxurious design of our bedroom and bathroom; I must agree with you that the bathrooms are sublime!
With pride I will pass those comments to the rest of the team.

As you indicated I hope we get the opportunity to welcoming you back very soon and maybe this time you will experience our freshly made Irish Breakfast and homemade lunch in our traditional Irish Pub, O’Sullivans.
I would be happy to help with organising your next trip to Dublin, please email: magdalena@fleetstreethotel.com

shel8484
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Date of visit fri 13th Dec 2013 to Sunday 15th Dec 2013

We arrived quite early at Dublin airport so chanced an early check in - staff were more than helpful and let us in our room 4 hours ahead of check in as it was ready - very grateful for this !! The hotel is just at the start of Fleet Street just a 2 minute walk from the Airlink bus stop (€10 return ticket bought within the airport )
We stayed in a twin room on the first floor (reception floor) - our room was very clean and bedding all fresh and clean - slightly small but it's not like we were having a game of netball in there !! We went to visit Dublin not our bedroom lol. The bathroom was very clean with Dove shower gel fixed into the shower holder. Nice power shower and towel radiator with plenty of clean towels.
Tea and coffee making facilities were a welcome and also the hair dryer in the room.
This hotel is in the perfect location of everything - on the same road as the temple bar pub - Hard Rock Cafe and buskers bar ! There is a TGI Fridays on the ground floor under the hotel - they do a special offer on cocktails and also a meal deal for about €16 - food and drinks were good !
The only downside to TGI been below the hotel is the noise from the music system - our beds was shaking - but this goes off at about midnight - so if your out it doesn't matter - although it starts quite early and can be pretty annoying if your trying to have a sleep , this didn't stop us enjoying our stay and no we didn't complain as really it wasn't that bad - if it had bothered us too much I'm pretty sure the staff would have moved us to another room (we did mention it on check out and was told if we came back they would accommodate our request to be on the top floor) very happy with this.
The breakfast canteen was clean and tidy and the food selection was brilliant - on offer was the following
Bacon - scrambled eggs- sausages - hash browns - bread and a toaster - butter and jams - cereals - fresh fruit - cheese - tomatoes - meats - milk - apple juice and orange juice - tea and coffee - baked beans - so much choice and all made fresh -
At busy times was hard to find a seat but we just went back 10 minutes later and it was fine - no problems at all.
Across the road from the hotel is a tesco store - we found this very handy for snacks and pop. There is also a vending machine on the 2nd floor of hotel with various items in.
On our check out day we left our bags in the luggage room locked up - and came back and relaxed in the lobby living room before getting the bus for our flight.
We enjoyed our stay so much that we are coming back as a group of 7 at the end of February - this time I have contacted the hotel ahead and asked for a top floor rooms due to the noise. I'm looking forward to playing tour guide to my friends and showing them round this wonderful city !!
Tours we recommend are the Guinness storehouse - waxworks - leprechaun museum
Recommended places to eat - TGI Fridays beneath hotel , Flanagans restaurant on O'Connell street (€5 breakfast deal) - drinks in Hard Rock Cafe - temple bar pub - bewleys on grafton street have a small food menu but it was delicious (spag Bol very nice )
Shopping places to recommend - some good shops in Jervis shopping centre , st Stephens shopping centre - down grafton street all the big expensive names - o Connell street off the side streets loads of stalls and little shops. Overall lots to do !!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor if your early to bed as music from below is loud until midnight
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank shel8484
Dear Shel8484
It is difficult to express our gratitude for such a valued review of your recent stay in Fleet Street Hotel, thank you very much for the time taken!
I am really pleased that we managed to create a special memory of our hotel; it does indeed makes us exceptionally happy knowing that you enjoyed your stay and the service provided by our team.
Please be assured that I will be sharing your words of appreciation with them.
We are always delighted when we know we made a difference to our guests stay in Dublin and try to make it that little bit more special and unique. Therefore do let me know when you are coming back exactly and I will make sure there are some welcome back treats ready for you! I also want to make sure that you are allocated high floor, best rooms in the hotel 
My direct email: magdalena@fleetstreethotel.com

Thank you again for your lovely feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back this month.