“Incredible Tour/Must if Visiting Ireland”
Review of Hilltoptreks

Hilltoptreks
Ranked #23 of 100 Outdoor Activities in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy great guided walks throughout Ireland with qualified, knowledgeable and fun guides. Ireland is a walkers paradise and walking is a great way to really see this country.
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Hilltop Treks did an amazing job of fulfilling all of their promises, helped by the fact that the people we had with us were a very friendly bunch.

Michael was our tour guide, and he is the epitome of what you hear regarding the Irish being extremely nice. He was very prompt and on top of the time, and gave us very honest feedback on what he thought we should do later on in the day. He told us things that were not worth the effort and things that were a bit out of the day but definitely worth doing. Suffice it to say I have changed around my itinerary to include the things he mentioned that I would not have known about otherwise.

The car itself is pretty comfortable and seats 14, so it is a small group to begin with which provides more time to talk to Michael and to get to know everyone better.

You have the option of horse back riding, hiking, or biking for 2 hours of the time. I opted for hiking, and it was so worth it. It is a totally different feeling to actually trek up to the top of a hill instead of just sitting in a van and passing by. The views at every turn were breathtaking, and you truly get to see the 40 shades of green Ireland is famous for. Michael stopped whenever people needed to catch their breath. It was not too challenging, but just enough to make the sights even more incredible.

We then stopped for lunch in a tiny little village, where you get to see a few scenes from Leap Year. After that, we saw the rolling hills, mountains, and beautiful heathers that lined the backdrop in the movie P.S. I Love You. What an impressive view! As was the monastery and lake we visited later in the day.

All in all, I cannot recommend this company enough. It is a pretty small company, not a giant like others and you can feel that. The guides really, truly care about you and cater to the kind of experience you want. A DEFINITE must if you want to see the famous Irish countryside. Ask for Michael...he is the best.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was the easiest way to see Wicklow county and do a horse trek for me, as I was staying close to city center and didnt have a car. Mike, the tour guide, was great and really made the tours interesting. The horse trek was a bit of a wash as they had to tone it down for the novice riders, but the rest of it was fantastic. Lots of stops for pictures, etc, and Mike even dropped me off close to my hotel. I would recommend this to those who don't want to get up at the crack of dawn, be stuck on bus/shuttle rides for hours, and want to see the areas surrounding Dublin city. Cheers!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We had a lovely day in Wicklow. The hiking tour was very nice and not too challenging and there where wonderful views over the country side. Our guide Jim had lots of information to share and did a good job. We just wished we've had a bit moore time in Glendalough to explore, it was a bit rushed in the end. But overall we would book again.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

We really enjoyed our day tour of the Wicklow Mountains out of Dublin. Hilltop uses 15 passenger vans rather than large buses which makes the tour more personal and gives them access to narrow roads where the big guys can't go. The disadvantage is that the back row has the windows partially blocked by company advertising so visibility is limited from those seats. Our driver was knowledgeable and fun. We made frequent stops for photographs. The tour is somewhat flexible for choices. The morning can be spent with a visit to Powerscourt Gardens (our choice), horseback riding or hiking. We were picked up for lunch at a great little cafe, then off to visit the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough with many sights along the way. We would go with the company again but don't sit in the back.

Reviewed 28 April 2011

While I'd wanted to visit Dublin and the tourist sites, I tend to run out of patience with cities pretty quickly so the option to get out and see the countryside around Dublin for the day was very welcome!

I was a little disappointed that I was unable to get on a full day walking trip as that was what I had hoped for, but took the Day Tour of Wicklow that included a 2 hour walk (optional extra costing 10 euro). The walk was lovely but over all to soon! On the upside, this did mean that we were able to go on a long drive around quite a few other beautiful sites in Wicklow - Lough Tay, Sally Gap and Glendalough which was probably the highlight.

Our guide Jim was great - put us all at our ease immediately. I think I was lucky that there were only 5 of us on the trip so we had lots of space on the minibus, chance to ask questions and chat, and didn't feel "herded". Also, given that I was traveling, I was again fortunate that the group appeared to get on very well and part of my enjoyment of the trip came from that element as much as what we saw and did.

I believe there could have been up to 15 and this would probably have made it less enjoyable and would have seemed worse value for money. I guess the price was fair but there were no inclusions in terms of entry fees, refreshments etc.

I would definitely recommend taking this trip if you'd like a complete contrast to the city and love the countryside.