“Fantastic hotel, great location”

Dublin Skylon Hotel
Ranked #33 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Fantastic hotel, great location”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in November, great location just outside city centre, only a few euro for the bus which stops outside hotel. Great selection of restaurants opposite the hotel also, thoroughly recommend Chilli Banana Thai restaurant. Easy check in at hotel who also upgraded us as it was our wedding anniversary, friendly staff and very comfortable beds.......best nights sleep I think I've ever had in a hotel bed. Also very reasonably priced for a weekend stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed for 3 days 2 nights and the front desk staff were generally helpful but could be a little more brisk. The rooms did not turn out as nice as the pictures showed (would rate the pic a 5/5, but reality 3/5). The biggest spoiler came at the end when we were checking out. We asked for a late check out, went out in the morning, and returned to discover to our horror the rooms were in the midst of renovation ( they were removing the heater), while our bags were still in the room, and the door was wide opened, with no one guarding the place. Explanations provided by the duty manager was far less than satisfactory, she defended that she called us many times but couldn't reach us, and that the head housekeeper was looking after our bags. There were indeed missed calls, but there was not a single soul in the room. If we had not packed our bags before we left i cannot imagine how it would have been. All this is topped off by the defensive and non apologetic tone of the duty manager which soured the end of our otherwise beautiful Dublin visit.

• Stayed November 2013
Dublin
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed last Thursday for 3 nights. There was no welcome from reception when checked in. Gave a room on the third floor,as soon as I went in to the room,I could hear the constant humming sound from outside down below, this happens when the hotel is really old. Because we had to stay for 3 nights, i wasn't going to let this to disturb my sleep,so I asked the housekeeping manager to give me another room, he kindly changed for me. but it turned out this one was even worse, because there were some ongoing building constructions going on very close to the hotel, made it impossible. Also the fan in the bathroom was extremely loud when the light was turned on, and the tv signals were very unsteady, the worst thing was there was no hot water from the sink!!. So I went down stairs explained to the receptionist. The person who dealt with me was very unhelpful, she ignored all the problems in the room, replied to me : we've changed the room for you already, so we couldn't change for you again, I wasn't impressed with her arrogant attitude at all, her colleague stopped her. In the end, I was given an executive room which was nice and quiet, and that was the end of that. Soon I moved into the new room, I realized the heating was cut out, a heater was left in the room, as if they were expecting this to happen.
Later I went down to reception to borrow a sowing kit, the same receptionist was there, I asked her if the hotel provides it, she replied with the same cold tone: "No we don't"! I found her very unhelpful and very unprofessional. On the other hand, the housekeeping staff has been very helpful throughout, especially the housekeeping manager. The breakfast was ok, bar food was very average. The staff in general was polite.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A lovely hotel which we hope to return to. A little out of town but good for the airport and more central hotels of equivalent quality are significantly more expensive. Fantastically friendly and helpful staff, and a comfortable, clean room of a good size. Good Thai and Italian restaurants over the road. But for the shower being a little weak and difficult to control I would have given 5 stars.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We traveled with two teenagers, notoriously difficult to please. Their only comment was that if we visit Dublin again they would prefer a more central location. The thing is that to be able to afford such a good quality hotel in the town centre would have been far dearer.
Overall we found this hotel clean, comfortable, well run and very friendly. Wi-fi is free and available in all rooms. We had originally found a very competitive rate on a website (am I allowed to say ebooking?) but when we called the hotel directly they offered to match it giving us the possibility of a last minute cancellation if necessary.
The shop opposite the hotel sells bus tickets and the no. 16 bus (just outside the shop) will drop you off in the town centre in 10-15 minutes - avoid rush hours if you can. The same shop sells delicious baguettes that in the morning you can fill with a choice of freshly cooked breakfast items. One of these and a hot drink will only set you back E 3.50.
We had breakfast at the hotel on the last day - the service was good - the cooked breakfast was ok. we also had a meal at the bar which was very pleasant. We would certainly consider another stay.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper I would suggest asking for a room at the back. We did not mind being at t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amersham104
Bruff, Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here for a concert in the O2 in September. Three of us stayed. We found the location great and ate in a lovely Italian across the road. The day staff were very helpful, they gave us the information on the broadband in the room and told us about the shuttle bus to the O2 which we opted not to take but they even rang to check before it left. We found the room small but nice, clean and bright. When we arrived back from the concert the bar staff were lovely. These were the plus points, but the night porter was quite rude. And the shower the next morning switched between scalding hot and ice cold with very little in between. So the end of the stay was soured somewhat. I would stay again for the location but I'd be wary if the same night porter was on!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Relations Manag... ., Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Dee H,

I am delighted the Skylon was a good base for your trip to the O2. Thank-you for complimenting the staff and highlightinng the night porter that was having an off night. As we don't know who the culprit is all three night porters are going to buy you and your buddies a beer after the next O2 conert and sort you out with ham sandwiches. No concert is ever complete without a beer and a ham sandwich back at the Skylon. Drop me an e-mail when you are next returning smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Regards,

Shane
GM
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I am the owner of a tour company and we are regular customers at the Skylon. We have been absolutely delighted with the service and friendliness of the staff. It seems most of the staff are real "Dubs" and have that Dublin wit. The non-local personnel at the Skylon also have their own charms. We are always happy to see Toni, Katie and Tara every time we come here. These 3 folks are always going out of their way to make us all feel welcome. It truly feels like I am visiting home and I am among friends. When the owners of our tour company come to Dublin, we always choose the Skylon hotel. We have had nothing but positive feedback from our travelers all through 2013. This is a hands on type of hotel. In fact, way back in the beginning of the year, I was concerned about a relatively minor issue. I wrote an email to someone in the "chain of command" and within a day, I heard from the owner of the McEniff hotels. How rare is this? We chose this hotel because it is near the city centre and the airport. Our tour finishes in Dublin and this is a very convenient location. I think that after 23 visits this year, I am very qualified to give the Skylon the very highest rating.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Mickj W,

We have really enjoyed having you this year and all the many Americans that you brought to our hotel with their big personalities. They just had a great laugh with our crew here at the Skylon because we love the 'craic!' Toni, Katie & Dee thank you for the mention and are going out to celebrate with wine as they got a big tip today from a very generous tour operator.... It is so nice that you call us a wonderful 'country hotel in the city' as this is what Brian Mc Eniff has always wanted his Skylon Hotel. We really do love you and Trish here at the Skylon and we look forward to you bringing lots and lots more Americans next year for more 'craic!'

Regards,