“Warm & Welcoming”

Dublin Skylon Hotel
Ranked #36 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Spent 2 nights in the Skylon in Decemberd 2013 while visiting family in the area and I cannot say a bad word about our stay.
The bedroom seemed to be recently renovated and the bed was so comfortable. We stayed on a bed an breakfast rate and breakfast was excellent both morning with lots to choose from.
We had dinner in the bar on one of the evenings and again we had no complaints. The menu was very reasonably priced and portion sizes were generous.
The one thing that I must mention is the staff who are an absolute credit to the hotel. From check in, staff at breakfast and in the bar we were always made feel like they couldn't do enough for us. Everyone was so courteous and helpful and really made the stay that extra bit more special.
Looking forward to returning to the Skylon.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Shivers8585,

Thank-you for taking the time to post a lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and our newly refurbished bedrooms. You are very kind to give the staff a special mention - I am blessed with great staff! It is great to hear that you will be returning to the Skylon. Drop me an e-mail when you are coming back and we will see if we can do a little something special for you: smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com.

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (2,063)

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Friendly comfortable atmosphere. Building work above my room started at 6 am and woke me. The room itself was nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. Bathroom was quite old and dated. Breakfast buffet was average. Bar was nice and staff were very helpful.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sparkyoc
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Sparkyoc,

Having found the hotel friendly and your room and bed comfortable it is very disappointing that you were disturbed by building work. Please accept my sincerest apologies. We were having batrooms re-fitted but work should never have started at that hour. If you could be kind enough to drop me an e-mail I would love to get you back to the hotel and you can see our lovely new bathrooms for which we sacraficed your sleep. Sorry once again and I hope to meet with you on your return - smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Shane Mc Gavock

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed at the Skylon hotel on Saturday 14/12 & was very dissappointed. I should start by saying that i do not normally leave negative reviews however really felt that in this case it was necessary. Our room (117) was nothing like the photos displayed on the website. The room decor was very old - this is normally not an issue for me but felt that the website was mis-leading. The bed was barely a double & was not sufficent for myself & my partner. It was actually funny how small the bed was
The towels in the bathroom all had holes in them and not something that you would expect. The room was not very clean - espcially the bathroom (shower was rusty and dirty).
The rooms are by no means soundproofed - it was extremely noisey all night so much so that i thought initially that i had left the door open! Paid €90 for the room for a hotel that was not in a city centre location, breakfast was not included and i had to pay for parking. I would not stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Anon003,

It was a poor decision on our part to allocate room 117 to a couple. Please accept my sincerest apologies. Only the following week the room was completely refurbished with a big King bed. I would love to get you back to stay in one of our executive bedrooms that are large, soundproofed rooms where I can promise you will have a lovely sleep. I have located your details on the system and I will be in touch.

Shane Mc Gavock

Reviewed 9 December 2013

My husband & I stayed in Dublin's Skylon Hotel for the weekend to do some Christmas shopping. The hotel was in a great location, with a bus stop right accross the street which took us straight to O'Connell Street which was right in the centre of the main shopping area for a reasonable amount of money. The hotel was lovely, rooms clean & facilities satisfactory with a fantastic breakfast. The entertainment in the hotel on the Saturday night was lively & we enjoyed the music & buzz without leaving to go elsewhere. This hotel is definitely value for money & we look forward to staying there again

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Kane356,

Thanks you so much for the lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel and the entertainment on a Saturday night. I reckon I could tempt you back for a little break in January - Dance the night away on Saturday and enjoy the Jazz band and afternoon tea in the lobby on Sunday. Drop me an e-mail anytime!

Regards
smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during our 7 day Ireland trip. The hotel is conveniently located..a 15-20 minute bus ride from the airport as well as the city centre. Bus number 16, 13 and 41 take you to the city centre and the bus stop is right opposite the hotel. We reached the hotel at 1 pm but the room was not ready..so we left our luggage at the cloak room and then headed to the city centre.

We checked in late in the evening..the room was quite spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was huge and cozy too..had a good night sleep in the bed. The breakfast was also good (both hot and cold). The receptionist was quite helpful and provided us good information on the bus to Galway. The food at the bar was average.

There are quite a few good restaurants opposite the hotel and there is a SPAR too for some essentials thay one may need to buy.

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel and would not mind returning again.

Ricky23,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel - it is very much appreciated. I am delighted that you enjoyed the new Kingsize beds and had a pleasant stay. i look forward to meeting you when you next return.

regards

Reviewed 2 December 2013

To start, this hotel should be more than a 3*. The welcoming feeling upon arrival to the hotel was outstanding, the staff couldnt do enough for me. The room was imaculate and had fresh bedding and towels every day. The restaurant and bar was also outstanding with brilliant food and drink along with great customer service throughout my stay. I would be more than happy to stay in this hotel again, the staff and the environment made my stay remarkable.

Dear Holly A,

I am so delighted to hear the staff made your stay remarkable and that you enjoyed the hotel. We really hope to see you back at the hotel again soon. Drop me an e-mail when you are next returning smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

First time here for some time and really was worried about our choice. Read Tripadvisor reviews and they were mixed. Might sound wrong but it was such a good price, it was almost too cheap. Can only say from first step inside we were just so glad we did not change. This hotel is not cheap it is simply great value for money and why go anywhere else in Dublin? Staff throughout the hotel were so helpful every time - nothing was too much trouble from when we checked in to when we left. Do not want to pick out anyone in particular but must mention the flying barman with great craic - Kieran (older, thinner on top?). Room was everything we needed and the bed was huge, comfortable and quiet even being at the front. The location is perfect for travellers from the airport and anywhere north of Dublin despite the atrocious traffic on the Drumcondra Road. All the more reason for parking the car at the Skylon on arrival and taking the bus. Once more, thanks to the receptionists (always smiling), the bar staff, the breakfast waiters serving the super breakfast and the cleaners who did such a good job. Oh and thanks to nice touch from the owner who came over and chatted and to the manager who took the time to talk. Please do not judge this hotel simply on price or else you might pay far too much elsewhere. Looking fwd to going back. By the way, the wee thank you e-mail from the hotel after he trip was really nice. Did not get that from our last 5*.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room - should be given if available