“More like a 4 * Hotel”

Dublin Skylon Hotel
Ranked #35 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed here and were put into a very big room with all you could require.Very clean and comfortable and our room was very quiet.

The outside doesn`t really do the hotel justice, on entering it feels more like a higher end four star hotel. In fact I have stayed at 4* hotels that cant hold a candle up to this place.

If they took down the best western signs and replaced them with classy looking signs it would suit the hotel more.
Staff friendly and breakfast was good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Wilko50,

Such a lovely review you are most kind! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Skylon in the near future.

Regards

G.M.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,044)

Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights. The hotel room is very nice, I would guess that it was recently updated. You have all the facilities you need and the place is very clean. Beds are very comfortable.

There is a bus stop across the road with a very frequent service into Dublin City centre. The area surrounding the hotel is nice, with a decent choice of restaurants. Furthermore there is a Spare located across the street, convenient if you need to pick up breakfast or lunch in a hurry.

I didn't get an opportunity to eat in the hotel during my stay here but I must say the food looked lovely!

The staff are very welcoming, helpful and friendly. I would really like to acknowledge the cleaning staff ; every night when I returned to my room it was spotless. I felt the cleaning service here was superior to some 5 star hotels I've stayed in recently.

Considering the location of the hotel and the standard of the rooms I thought I got very good value for money.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear 737Michelle,

You are very kind to acknowledge the work of our cleaning staff as they really do work so hard. I am blessed to have such wonderful staff! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Skylon and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed here in 2009. This hotel was slightly out of the centre, but was only a quick bus ride in to the city. The room was fairly large & comfortable. We didn't eat in the hotel as we wanted to try the various restaurants in the city. This hotel is well situated for getting around Dublin. The decor of the hotel inside was good & had some character, but the outside was a bit bland.

Stayed: March 2013

Dear Sixmj,

I am delighted that you found your room to be large and comfortable. We have made many improvements to the hotel since you last stayed in 2009 so you are definitely due another trip back to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Skylon again soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Had a free up grade.
Seem a bit tight on leaving a spare loo roll.
Clean, quiet and all in good order.
Service in bar very slow and had to call for their attention even though they had walked passed me several times.
Language behind bar was pg13+
Food was good in taste and fast in supplying.
On the whole a nice place to stay as long as you get one of the upgrade rooms.

Room Tip: Room 230 onwards is new refurbishment
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mrgrahamlee
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This was the first time we have stayed here and we were very pleased with the whole experience. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, clean & tidy. The hotel staff were excellent, helpful and friendly at all times, I would be hard pushed to find fault with them. The cost for the 4 days including breakfast was very reasonable considering some of the prices charged by other hotels in the area. Bar prices were reasonable and the food was excellent with a good variety on offer . The only downside was that parking space was limited a couple of times during the stay but I wouldn't let that detract from the overall experience. Very handy for either public transport to the city centre, reasonable for taxis back late in the evening and in a nice location generally. Facilities are limited but it is a great place to base yourself for a stay in DublinValue for money, great staff, good food, nice rooms, you wont be disappointed. I would have no problem in recommending here to anyone and will definitely use it again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barry A
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Have stayed at the Skylon a few times over the years when visiting nearby relatives, but bedrooms and public areas had become tired. However, read reviews, gave it another go, and glad we did. A great family run hotel which has benefited from an extensive refurbishment. Got a good room rate via Expedia, and though only a standard room was spotless and well appointed. Bath was slippery, but there was a non-slip mat, and power shower was excellent. Breakfast was €10 extra but great, and later the bar staff very helpful sorting hot drinks just the way we liked them. Parking limited, but lots of buses pass the door to and from city centre and the airport. 3 day bus rambler purchased in Spar shop in Terminal 2 well worth it. NB 41 goes to airport but not 41C, oops.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I've stayed in the Dublin Skylon Hotel on a number of occasions - more recently I've tended to stay there after work trips to Brussels resulting in my arriving back in Dublin quite late and certainly too late to go home (Kildare). I've stayed twice in the last week so this is a review based on both those stays. Last week, my husband and I stayed for one night - he was working all week nearby and we decided for convenience to spend one of those nights in town to break up his long commute. We stayed in one of the executive rooms but had a number of problems with the room - the side lights by the bed wouldn't work without the central light being on, the bath was very slippy and my husband slipped (but thankfully wasn't hurt) when trying to shower then the shower door came off! However, on checking out I spoke to Paul the Assistant Manager and he was very attentive and took my issues very seriously indeed. He offered to do something for me on my next stay and told me to contact him. As it happened I had already booked to stay there again last night due to flying in late from Brussels. I e-mailed him and advised that my rate didn't include breakfast so a complimentary breakfast would be appreciated. This was agreed with no quibble whatsoever. My husband checked in earlier in the evening and I arrived just before 11pm. When I got to the room I was feeling quite peckish and looked for a room service menu - there isn't one, they advise ringing reception to get food after 11pm. So I rang reception thinking I'd just order some soup - I was advised that all they can offer at that time of night is a sandwich. I duly ordered a chicken sandwich for myself as my husband had dined elsewhere earlier. However I was advised that there is a €5 charge for room service! I cancelled the sandwich and made do with some crisps and chocolate that had been left in the room (courtesy of Paul I presume). Overall this hotel is very comfortable, breakfast is good if limited and most of the staff are very pleasant. I would have thought that the gentleman on reception yesterday evening could have used his discretion regarding the room service charge for just one sandwich but obviously not. The convenience of this hotel's location in terms of the airport and the city centre, the incredible value for money and the general comfort levels will keep me coming back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business