2,321 results
All reviews city centre ivy house croke park close to the airport dublin airport bus stop executive room bar food family room reception staff lovely hotel hotel bar reception area visiting dublin o'connell street buses taxi
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights Saturday-Monday(8th-10th February) while attend a match in Croke Park. We arrived to the hotel before check in at 1.45pm and the receptionist told us our room was ready so we were delighted. She then told us that we were randomly selected to get an upgrade to a King Room (202)

The room was lovely and very clean. It seemed to be recently refurbished so it was very nice. We did not have breakfast in the hotel but had lunch (soup & tasted sandw) and they were very tasty. We did not spend much time in the hotel as we had things planned for the weekend but was in a great location.

The bus across the road to town was excellent and you can get the bus from there also to Drumcondra Rail station which allows you to access many other areas in Dublin and even trains out of Dublin. It is an ideal location for any events in Croke Park. The Ivy house across the road was great for watching the 6 Nations match.

The nightporter was full of chat for us on arriving back to the hotel at 3am. He was kind enough to give us water for our room.

Overall we had an excellent stay in the Skylon hotel and we are looking forward to returning here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Mayo 2012-2013,

it was lovely to have you stay at the Skylon for the game in Croke Park last weekend. I am delighted that you enjoyed your 'King' bedroom. We really appreciate the lovely review and look forward to welcomimg you back to the Skylon soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights FRI -SUN over the recent Ireland V Wales 6 Nations game,Wales lost but that did not detract from the enjoyment of the weekend(not too much anyway!)
The room 205 was excellent and was I presume one of the recently refurbished ones.The standard of the Hotel was very good and was enhanced greatly by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.The Bar staff whether quiet or rushed off their feet all had time for you,and even some sympathy after the Rugby!The breakfasts were more than adequate and got you through most of the day.Had one meal in the bar from a good menu choice and the complaint about one meal was dealt with extremely well by Simon without any hassle.There is a VG Italian Restaurant(Il Corva) over the road where we also ate once.
Location is convenient for bus to city.Can also recommend a trip to Howth on the Dart and a stroll by the sea which will certainly blow away any previous nights excess of "the black stuff"

Room Tip: I think ours was "A King Room"
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daithomas

Dear Daithomas,

We loved all the Welsh supporters over the rugby and I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel. Many thanks for praising all the staff and a nice touch to give Simon a special mention as he is a star! It is nice that you discovered Howth on your recent trip as it really is a hidden gem. Many thanks for the great review and we hope to see you back at the Skylon very soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have stayed in this hotel numerous times over the years as it is so convenient for us coming from Donegal and wanting easy access to Dublin city centre. The Skylon has a great location for this and there is plenty of parking both at the front of the hotel and in the car parking spaces behind and below.

The first time we booked there we got our key and went to the appointed room. It was a pokey, horrible little cube. I rang down to reception from it saying I need another room, I couldn't stay in this THING.

The receptionist got us another room and helpfully came up to help us with our bags. I asked her if she had ever been in these rooms and she said she hadn't. I told her that unless a homeless person is offered a free room in the hotel they should never offer these rooms to a paying guest.

So from then on, I always asked for one of the 'new rooms' when booking. These are spacious and comfortable.

This time I asked for one of the new rooms. On the way to the room I had a deja vu moment ... (it was the slight tilt in corridor floor as it happens).

But the room was excellent. Very big with two double beds.

The beds were super comfy. The mattresses on both beds were REALLY bouncy. And the bed linen perfectly white and super clean. And to top it all they actually had fairly good pillows. Hotels in my experience have dreadful pillows. (My only complaint with Ashford Castle was their dire pillows).

And with the Skylon, the staff. From reception (the blonde girl with the glasses) to the hall porter who has been there forever and is a total gentleman (and who brings you pretty good Americanos) to the lovely bedroom staff who greeted us with a sunny 'Good morning' the couple of times we went to the lift. And also, not forgetting the lovely girl in the bar the night before who was really an example of good bar staff.

I have to add at the end of this review, the bangers and mash & onion gravy (only €8 at the time or writing) served in the bar from about 12 noon is super tasty.

After all that good stuff, my gripes:

They now do breakfast in the room BUT €10 each for breakfast PLUS €5 PER PERSON for delivery to the room! Really?! I know many hotels charge this 'delivery' charge but it is wrong on so many levels!

The shower gel. I didn't try it this time but the last time I tried it it was so abrasive it nearly tore my skin off. If you are putting shower gel in the room hotel people, make it a little more than this stuff.

~~~

Oh, and back to the beginning of my review. I was appalled at the old rooms in this hotel and always booked one of the new rooms. I spoke to the lovely hall man and he informed me the old rooms were now fully renovated.

Next time I will book a newly renovated 'old' room!

Room Tip: You're in the city so take whatever room you get. They are all up to scratch now.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear CatherineDonegal,

We are delighted to have you as regular guests here at the Skylon. All the bedrooms are now renovated so you must try one of the new 'King' rooms when you next return. Many thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Skylon soon!

Regards

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed here and were put into a very big room with all you could require.Very clean and comfortable and our room was very quiet.

The outside doesn`t really do the hotel justice, on entering it feels more like a higher end four star hotel. In fact I have stayed at 4* hotels that cant hold a candle up to this place.

If they took down the best western signs and replaced them with classy looking signs it would suit the hotel more.
Staff friendly and breakfast was good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Wilko50,

Such a lovely review you are most kind! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Skylon in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights. The hotel room is very nice, I would guess that it was recently updated. You have all the facilities you need and the place is very clean. Beds are very comfortable.

There is a bus stop across the road with a very frequent service into Dublin City centre. The area surrounding the hotel is nice, with a decent choice of restaurants. Furthermore there is a Spare located across the street, convenient if you need to pick up breakfast or lunch in a hurry.

I didn't get an opportunity to eat in the hotel during my stay here but I must say the food looked lovely!

The staff are very welcoming, helpful and friendly. I would really like to acknowledge the cleaning staff ; every night when I returned to my room it was spotless. I felt the cleaning service here was superior to some 5 star hotels I've stayed in recently.

Considering the location of the hotel and the standard of the rooms I thought I got very good value for money.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear 737Michelle,

You are very kind to acknowledge the work of our cleaning staff as they really do work so hard. I am blessed to have such wonderful staff! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Skylon and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.