2,282 results
All reviewscity centreivy housecroke parkclose to the airportdublin airportbus stopexecutive roombar foodfamily roomreception stafflovely hotelhotel barreception areavisiting dublino'connell streetbusestaxi
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

When we arrived in Dublin clueless and lost, but upon entering the hotel, we were met by two lovely irish men at the reception who were extremely kind and helpful, and advised us on what to do while in Dublin with maps etc.The rooms were better than the Median in Paris! Breakfast was gorgeous, wished they served unlimited eggs and bacon though.. but great hospitality was friendly and even the cleaners were very thorough. Close to city centre at resonable price.

Therefore, I would strongly recommend this place!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear hugh2705,

What a lovely review - I am glad we were able to get you on the right track! I am delighted that you enjoyed are newly refurbished rooms and our breakfast. I appreciate you giving the cleaners a special mention as they really do work so hard. I hope that you return to the Skylon on your next trip to Dublin.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Brilliant hotel! All the staff were very welcoming on our arrival and helpful with check in and answering our questions about local directions. The receptionist was by far the best and have never received such amazing hospitality anywhere else in the world. Travelling as a party of two younger ladies, she took us under her wing and made sure we knew everything we needed to know each day of our trip to make sure we were safe etc.

Room was lovely, beds were a reasonable size (we had a twin room) and very comfortable! Best TV service I have ever experienced during my travelling experiences and bathroom amenities were up to standard. Room was cleaned both days and kept tidy. Dont expect much of a view though!

Hotel was in an ideal location from Dublin Airport and to get into the main city centre, best to travel by bus to avoid having to park! Parking available on hotel site for 5 Euro a day.

Would highly recommend this hotel and would happily return here again in the future.

Would also like to recommend to travellers to visit the Giants Causeway, Cork, Cobh and Dublin City if you have the time when you visit :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Relations Manag... ., General Manager at Dublin Skylon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Laura S D 11,

What a lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Skylon. Many thanks for praising all the staff but what am I to do with my 'world-class' receptionists this morning? Sure I will have to make them lattes and get the little biscuits they like... Anyway so long as everyone looked after you both well and many thanks for the recommendation. On your next trip to Dublin drop me an e-mail and we will treat you to some cocktails in the Bar & Grill!

smcgavock@dublinskylonhotel.com

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights Saturday-Monday(8th-10th February) while attend a match in Croke Park. We arrived to the hotel before check in at 1.45pm and the receptionist told us our room was ready so we were delighted. She then told us that we were randomly selected to get an upgrade to a King Room (202)

The room was lovely and very clean. It seemed to be recently refurbished so it was very nice. We did not have breakfast in the hotel but had lunch (soup & tasted sandw) and they were very tasty. We did not spend much time in the hotel as we had things planned for the weekend but was in a great location.

The bus across the road to town was excellent and you can get the bus from there also to Drumcondra Rail station which allows you to access many other areas in Dublin and even trains out of Dublin. It is an ideal location for any events in Croke Park. The Ivy house across the road was great for watching the 6 Nations match.

The nightporter was full of chat for us on arriving back to the hotel at 3am. He was kind enough to give us water for our room.

Overall we had an excellent stay in the Skylon hotel and we are looking forward to returning here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mayo 2012-2013,

it was lovely to have you stay at the Skylon for the game in Croke Park last weekend. I am delighted that you enjoyed your 'King' bedroom. We really appreciate the lovely review and look forward to welcomimg you back to the Skylon soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights FRI -SUN over the recent Ireland V Wales 6 Nations game,Wales lost but that did not detract from the enjoyment of the weekend(not too much anyway!)
The room 205 was excellent and was I presume one of the recently refurbished ones.The standard of the Hotel was very good and was enhanced greatly by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.The Bar staff whether quiet or rushed off their feet all had time for you,and even some sympathy after the Rugby!The breakfasts were more than adequate and got you through most of the day.Had one meal in the bar from a good menu choice and the complaint about one meal was dealt with extremely well by Simon without any hassle.There is a VG Italian Restaurant(Il Corva) over the road where we also ate once.
Location is convenient for bus to city.Can also recommend a trip to Howth on the Dart and a stroll by the sea which will certainly blow away any previous nights excess of "the black stuff"

Room Tip: I think ours was "A King Room"
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daithomas

Dear Daithomas,

We loved all the Welsh supporters over the rugby and I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel. Many thanks for praising all the staff and a nice touch to give Simon a special mention as he is a star! It is nice that you discovered Howth on your recent trip as it really is a hidden gem. Many thanks for the great review and we hope to see you back at the Skylon very soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have stayed in this hotel numerous times over the years as it is so convenient for us coming from Donegal and wanting easy access to Dublin city centre. The Skylon has a great location for this and there is plenty of parking both at the front of the hotel and in the car parking spaces behind and below.

The first time we booked there we got our key and went to the appointed room. It was a pokey, horrible little cube. I rang down to reception from it saying I need another room, I couldn't stay in this THING.

The receptionist got us another room and helpfully came up to help us with our bags. I asked her if she had ever been in these rooms and she said she hadn't. I told her that unless a homeless person is offered a free room in the hotel they should never offer these rooms to a paying guest.

So from then on, I always asked for one of the 'new rooms' when booking. These are spacious and comfortable.

This time I asked for one of the new rooms. On the way to the room I had a deja vu moment ... (it was the slight tilt in corridor floor as it happens).

But the room was excellent. Very big with two double beds.

The beds were super comfy. The mattresses on both beds were REALLY bouncy. And the bed linen perfectly white and super clean. And to top it all they actually had fairly good pillows. Hotels in my experience have dreadful pillows. (My only complaint with Ashford Castle was their dire pillows).

And with the Skylon, the staff. From reception (the blonde girl with the glasses) to the hall porter who has been there forever and is a total gentleman (and who brings you pretty good Americanos) to the lovely bedroom staff who greeted us with a sunny 'Good morning' the couple of times we went to the lift. And also, not forgetting the lovely girl in the bar the night before who was really an example of good bar staff.

I have to add at the end of this review, the bangers and mash & onion gravy (only €8 at the time or writing) served in the bar from about 12 noon is super tasty.

After all that good stuff, my gripes:

They now do breakfast in the room BUT €10 each for breakfast PLUS €5 PER PERSON for delivery to the room! Really?! I know many hotels charge this 'delivery' charge but it is wrong on so many levels!

The shower gel. I didn't try it this time but the last time I tried it it was so abrasive it nearly tore my skin off. If you are putting shower gel in the room hotel people, make it a little more than this stuff.

~~~

Oh, and back to the beginning of my review. I was appalled at the old rooms in this hotel and always booked one of the new rooms. I spoke to the lovely hall man and he informed me the old rooms were now fully renovated.

Next time I will book a newly renovated 'old' room!

Room Tip: You're in the city so take whatever room you get. They are all up to scratch now.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear CatherineDonegal,

We are delighted to have you as regular guests here at the Skylon. All the bedrooms are now renovated so you must try one of the new 'King' rooms when you next return. Many thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Skylon soon!

Regards