“Good place”

Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Good place”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Check in can be a bit slow but generally a nice hotel well located on main bus route into Dublin. Good breakfast and rooms are huge with many having beds for 4 people. Good value as well. Free wifi. Love the waiter at breakfast with the shifty walk!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, United States
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Amazing place everyone is nice. Let me keep my bags there before I was able to check in so I could go out an do some exploring with out having to worry about my bags. I would for sure stay there again if I find my self in Dublin. Close to the city center you could walk it in about 20 minutes. Other wise a taxi did not cost much. Bus stop really close by too for getting to the hotel from the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cutler Bay, United States
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Excellent Hotel. Right in front to bus route to the airport and the City Center. You can take almost any bus and they will take you into the city and back. Very convenient to commute to other places. There is a convenient store across the street, a pub, a few restaurants.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Castlewellan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

What a great hotel, we stayed there over St Patricks weekend , handy to city centre by bus and taxi, staff were excellent and the rooms were very comfortable after along day shopping in Dublin and returning from a good nights craic in the many bars, food also excellent with a great hearty breakfast that will set you up for the long day ahead, I will make a point off staying here again for a weekend break.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Frederick
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I booked here because of good reviews and its closeness to the airport. Was not disappointed! This is what I'd call a luxury property and definitely was impressed as we came into the plush, expansive lobby. The breakfast, which we didn't take, was 10 Euro, about $15, and cheap by Euopean standards. We ate dinner instead at a nearby restaurant, The Cat and The Cage (separate review). Our room was really nice too, and quiet. The bath was large and modern, and the bus stop to take you anywhere is right out front. They have double decker buses here, as they do in London and Scotland, and it was fun to go upstairs and get a seated bird's eye view of the people and places that we toured in our short time here. I had to call down because I couldn't figure out the kettle (the plugs and outlets are different there) and the manager was on duty. He not only came up to show me the kettle, but brought us up a tray of brewed coffe and two pastries himself. A lovely man. He was so pleasant (this was at midnight) and chatted happily with us for a few minutes before departing. That really made a great impression with me. I appreciate friendly people and personal service and I hope that he reads this and smiles. You made our night, sir!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 17 March 2014

3km from airport, very reasonable parking fees, great cooked breakfast for 10 Euro, very nice room, very happy with selection, used this hotel to arrive night before flight and turned in rental car, hotel has airport shuttle for flight

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Coventry
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed here for my partner's 28th birthday visiting from England and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Service was generally good, especially from Simon in the bar! What a great guy, we felt so welcomed and the Guinness and food was great on the first night we ate there. A true diamond to the Skylon hotel, he should be praised and rewarded for his serve to the customers.

The room is reasonably sized, lots of space. The bathroom looked newly decorated and was nice and clean. The bed was nice and firm with some give, some hotel beds can be too soft. Free unlimited wifi - GREAT! I did however have a few things that knocked back my view of the hotel; night manager/porter didn't answer the '0' call around 11:30pm, as my partner works in the hotel industry himself he thought they were busy and headed to reception within minutes of calling to find them sat doing very little. A little annoying! The room just needed some attention to detail so painting over water marks, fixing the slight gap between the wall and the toilet gap etc. Nothing too serious but something we noticed around the hotel. However what I loved about this hotel was the fact they have no self closing fire door hinges attached to guest rooms, no slamming doors from other guests throughout the night and first thing in the mornings meant we could sleep in and sleep through the entire night (apart from the clanky radiator at 5am going off both nights). AC would have been fab first thing in the morning too, the windows didn't let much fresh air in and didn't fancy a noisy old fan blowing away all night.

Breakfast was good, however the sausages were the smallest thin sausages I've seen hahaha. I read there was Irish sausages mentioned by the GM (Shane? We saw 2 other GM's mentioned in the guest directory) but no option to choose them? Other than that the cooked breakfast was nice. We had no idea there was a buffet selection - great for grabbing toast also. The tea was GREAT, I struggle to get a good cup of tea in any hotel we have stayed at. I drank the whole pot, surprisingly. Service however was a little confused, we had 3/4 people asking if we had ordered breakfasts... Assigning sections may make breakfast a little less repetitive. However as always, all very friendly members of staff :)

The coach service from the airport was spot on too. You couldn't go wrong for it being free to get there and 3euro each to get back to the airport. Door to door service and the driver was definitely up for a laugh. Great start and end to our stay.

The hotel is located across the road from many places to eat and grab a drink. Bus services all heading in to town to get around easy. Reception staff are lovely and knowledgeable RE where to go, where to eat, how to get around etc. Everyone in Dublin were friendly to us, all very nice people and up for a laugh or craic as they all love saying :)
All prices are reasonable, if not more than reasonable. Overall, we WILL stay again! We were sat planning our next visit with friends whilst sat in the lobby! Thank you for a great stay :) hope to be seeing you all again soon for a longer stay simply because of the great staff, great location and pleasant rooms!

Room Tip: Visit the bar on Thursdays for 4euro per pint of Guinness and good food. Get the free shuttle servi...