“Four and a half star review.”

Dublin Skylon Hotel
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Killarney, Ireland
“Four and a half star review.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel would have got a 5 star review was it not for one rude receptionist and a disastrous taxi service. (mentioned later).

The Skylon doesn't look great from the front entrance but once you walk inside, it is fantastic. We arrived very early and just needed somewhere to drop our bags so we could go to a function across town. I think Daniel was the gentleman who greeted us at reception and looked after our bags and parking and he was very professional and apologetic when explaining we couldn't check in.

My other half returned on her own as I was still at the function and her check in was quick and easy with a friendly, professional receptionist and her bags were waiting for her. The room was a nice size, not huge but not cramped with a flat screen TV (a rarity in Irish hotels), a very comfy bed and a powerful shower. Everything I look for in a hotel room. My OH has back problems and said she had never had such a good nights sleep!

The surrounding area is also nice, a few pubs and shops across the road and a little village just a 10 min walk away. The locals in the pub seemed friendly too.

The rude receptionist shall remain nameless but the first taxi we ordered, we were waiting for 20 minutes and when we asked how much longer we were told 15mins more so we started walking and flagged one down. I would recommend flagging one down because they are driving past regularly enough, but we didn't know that at the time. The second taxi did turn up after about 10mins to collect my other half (she didn't want to start walking alone) to bring her to our restaurant where I was waiting but he took her to another restaurant in a different part of town!! A complete disaster but the restaurant were top class (separate review).

We would stay here again and I have already booked another stay for October and now we know to get our own taxi's.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sam D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Mullingar
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times over the last two years and must say that I have found every stay most pleasant.
Paul and his staff are the best they are so helpful and friendly.
The rooms are very clean, showers good quality and clean bed linen also the TV's are new and all channels can be obtained.
The food, although not 'haute cuisine' which I would not want anyway is always edible and plenty of it, although not always hot.
Unfortunately there are no spa facilities here but I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: swimming pool and spa rated terrible only because the hotel does not have either. The newly refurbi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Me and a group of 20 girls stayed here over st Patricks day just gone and must say the hotel was great. The guy called Paul I think it was really looked after us and was very helpful and kind. The breakfast was great with plenty of choice. Rooms we're clean and spacious. The hotel has a bar and somewhere to eat which is nice and classy. The location was just out of centre but only few euro in a taxi. Would recommend to anyone to stay here wether it be a family, couple or group. Big thumbs up!

• Stayed March 2014
Kingsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Friendly and helpful staff, especially Celine and Colette on reception.
Very spacious rooms with free Wi-Fi, tea and coffee facilities.
Helpful with business services, good restaurant/bar and many buses to the city centre.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is a hotel on the main N1 road into North Dublin. The car park is off road, the internet works and the rooms are of good quality. The restaurant / Bar has a good selection of food for a reasonable price which is rare for City centre hotels in Ireland. Overall an excellent hotel that gives value for money with easy access to Dublin Port or Airport.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Excellent hotel with friendly helpful staff. Highly recommend! I stayed on the 10/4/14. It was a stones throw from the Mater Private hospital where my dad was having heart surgery. Booked two rooms here as family would be coming & going over the course of my dads stay in hospital. On check in I was asked the purpose of my visit to which I explained the situation & the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful. She also gave us free vouchers for breakfast as I had not included it in our booking. Rooms were spacious & spotlessly clean. There was a lovely atmosphere in the bar which also served food. We ate here, food was excellent & good value for money. There was a bus stop outside the hotel. The bus route went right by the hospital & this also continued into town. Location was convenient & I would highly recommend this hotel. I will definitely stay here on my next visit to Dublin!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I am a mature student studying for a degree in Adult Education. Two of the modules took place in the Marino Institute of Education on Griffith Avenue. The two/three day lectures were very hard going so it was important to find a relaxing, warm and comfortable Hotel nearby so we could chill out in nicely decorated rooms and enjoy a good hearty meal with a nice drink. My fellow students and I got all of this in the Skylon Hotel. We were looked after so well by receptionist Frances and all the team there. I would look forward to checking in after a long day of lecturing, get a complimentary newspaper and relax on the comfortable bed with a nice cup of tea. We would all meet up then later and have an excellent meal from their extensive bar food menu. Sometimes we would go across the road to have something to eat and the choice of restaurant/cafes is fantastic. Breakfast was always a joy with lovely fresh juices, fresh fruit salad, cereals and a good hearty Irish. You were definitely fed and watered for the day. I would highly recommend this Hotel for anyone, be it business or pleasure. Well done Skylon. and thank you so much for your excellent customer care..I'll be back!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a quiet room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business