“A little noisy, but a great hostel with great location.”

Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar
Ranked #4 of 117 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Montreal, Canada
“A little noisy, but a great hostel with great location.”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Was travelling with a friend through Ireland and stayed at Barancle's at both the beggining and end of our trip.

I can say that I would not have stayed here if I were on a romantic trip with my wife, but for a couple of buddies who wanted to be close to the tourist attractions and the pubs, we could not have asked for better.

This place is clean, safe and efficient. The common room with books, maps and computers was very useful and they give you 15 minutes of free computer time per day.
The rooms and bathrooms are quite small and the area noisy at night, but for our use it was great.

The only thing that was bothersome, was that we had a skylight in our room that did not have a blind on it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stinz3
BarnaclesHostel, Business Development Executive at Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar, responded to this review, 24 June 2011
Dear Stinz3,

Thank you for taking the time to review Barnacles Hostel, Temple Bar. We delighted you chose to come back again and stay with us at the end of your trip also.
Located in the heart of Temple Bar, our hostel is the middle of all the action. It is for this reason, many of our customers chose to stay with us – everything is on our doorstep. Unfortunately, some noise can travel through to the hostel from people enjoying Temple Bar. We provide free ear plugs to any guests if required. We have dorms available to the rear of the property available for any guests sensitive to noise.

Thank you for letting us know about the missing blind in your room. We will check the rooms to find the one with the missing blind and have it replaced.

We hope you come to stay with us again soon.

Best Regards,
Susan Connell
Business Development Executive
Barnacles Hostels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chartres, France
Reviewed 13 May 2011

This hostel is in a great location. A short walk to everything. Rather loud at night because it is right in the bar/party area of Dublin however. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hostel was clean but offered the bare minimum. Locks and sheets were not included. There was only one very small bathroom per room. And the breakfast was the worst I've ever had in a hostel - sliced white bread.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank hoganan08
San Francisco
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I received a warm welcome from the friendly (and may I add quite cute) front desk guy. I had a ton of questions for him and he patiently answered them all. The rooms were small and the bathrooms were like an airplane but still very comfortable. I was in a 4 bed room and it was really hard to put your backpack/suitcase anywhere. I left everything out for hours unattended (laptop and digital slr camera) and came back to all my belongings. Seemed pretty safe to me. I could see why people would think it was loud but I'm used to noise at home so it didn't bother me. Unfortunately I woke up the next morning with a terrible flu and couldn't imagine being sick in such a small space so I decided to leave and stay with family for my 2nd night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
loopgrl5
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The staff was excellent and the location is terrific. Breakfast is included but it is literally just toast and orange juice. WiFi is free and they give you 15 minutes free internet on their computers. The common room is great and is a good place to meet other people at the hostel. Unfortunately they allow school groups to stay there so extremely loud drunk teenagers kept me up all night running up and down the hallway, screaming and pounding on doors. I say this hostel is best for high school and college aged students. Also, there is just a medium sized basket under the bunk beds to lock up your belongings so you have to trust the others in your dorm with most of your belongings.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Barnacles for 2 days. The staff is so helpfull and cheerful. The location is good. We sleep well even though our neighbour woke us up 1 day. We had a double room and it was very small but very clean. It's was hard to move around when you are two in the room. The bathroom is clean but we didn't have space to put your stuff on. No phone or tv in the room. There is a large common room on the second floor with access to computers (1 euro for 30 minutes) and the hostel give you 15 minutes free. They charge you 8 euro to do your lundry. The kitchen is big but didn't have a lot of choice. Only juice and toast. But try the shannon café close to the hostel. You got a good latte and a scone for 3.50 euro. worth it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Great value and an unbeatable location. The staff was not 100% competent: (something that should be 'in the computer' was missing on several occasions). It is kind of a party hostel which was fine with me but other than that I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010
Reviewed 10 September 2010

My wife and I stayed for two nights. We booked online because of it's location. The location there is truly awesome. Close to everything! We're only 24 & 25 respectively, so we understand the partying aspect of Dublin, but this hostel is beyond noisy. People screaming, and breaking beer bottles/glasses until 2:30am both nights is enough to keep anyone up, even with the window closed. WiFi only worked in common room, or down one hallway. Bring earplugs.

• Stayed September 2010