“Clean, Friendly, Above expectations!”

Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar
Ranked #3 of 106 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Perth, Australia
“Clean, Friendly, Above expectations!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

It was my first ever hostel, being on a budget holiday in Europe... I have to stay I was abit apprehensive at first. I was positively surprised with their cleanliness. The room (twin with ensuite bathroom) was small but clean with a decent looking bathroom. Small details mattered to me: they supplied shampoo and shower gel and hand gels, they had reading lights above each of the single beds, the kitchen was very spacious and clean, their common room was separate from the kitchen with free wifi and comfy couches and plenty of room to bring ur laptop to surf online! Only downside is that the Breakfast is very basic. Only toast with jam/butter supplied. And the usual coffee/tea with milk.

• Stayed May 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
Aspen, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

I booked a reservation with the Barnacles Temple Bar online back in March 09. Since the time of my booking I e-mailed Barnacles Temple Bar to confirm the reservation and to inquire about storing luggage there since we would be arriving early. I received a response right away confirming my reservation and informing me of their luggage storage policies.

Unfortunately our plans changed about one week prior to our reservation. Barnacles Temple Bar's cancellation policy is 24 hours. I e-mailed them 6 days prior to our arrival date at the exact same address as the one I had used previously used. I DID NOT receive an undeliverable message that the e-mail was not sent correctly.

The day after I was supposed to have stayed with Barnacles Temple Bar I received an e-mail stating that I had been charged for the beds I did not use. When I contacted reservations, they told me they never recieved my e-mail and therefore was liable for the charges (how convenient). I replied to them with the original copy of of my cancellation e-mail to prove to them that I had sent them advanced notice.

Ultimately reservations and "upper management" claim they never received my e-mail. They absolutely refused to refund my money or even compromise with me - even though I have the e-mail receipt to prove that I did notify them. The person I spoke with had no compassion whatsoever for my situation and left me with the feeling of "your problem, not mine"

I work in hospitality and understand how important it is to give advanced notice of cancelling a room, which is why I made sure I did so. I also understand how in situations like this, customer service can can have a little compassion. If this is how they treat guests who haven't even checked in - I can't imagine this is a place I would like to stay.

For all I know, someone could have accidentally deleted or misplaced my e-mail. Their disorganization is now costing me money for services I never used.

Thanks Barnacles for ripping me off.

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lou E
New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

My husband and I (we are in our late 20s) stayed at Barnacles for a night and were happily surprised by the cleanliness, great location, and privacy of our double ensuite room. For such a big hostel in a big city we weren't expecting it to be a pleasant stay...but it was!

The staff was helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed the central location of the hostel which was perfect as we were only in Dublin for one night and two days. We were walking distance from everything we wanted to see and loved the close proximity to fun pubs!

A good piece of advice that we got from a previous Barnacles review is to "bring your earplugs". Temple Bar is hopping with nightlife every night of the week and you can hear music from nearby bars from your hostel room. Barnacles is cheap, convenient, and clean. We recommend it if you don't want to spend a fortune on a place to stay in Dublin.

• Liked — great location in Dublin; comfortable bed
  • Disliked — tiny room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ekeat
On the move
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2008

We booked here due to it being central and what seemed like value for money.

The rooms were too small but we werent that bothered as we didnt want to spend too much time there but the tiny bathroom made it very very difficult to get washed and ready.

The staff are the rudest people I have ever dealt with - it was lke they were doing us a favour by "putting us up". Despite our best efforts we couldnt even raise a smile out of them.

We were disappointed that we couldnt leave our rucksacks with them for free - it cost us €12 in total.

With the poor exchange rate it ended up costing us almost £100 for just one nights stay. I would have been disappointed if Id paid £30.

Terrible experience - you would be better off booking somewhere else as this place it all about the location - Dublin centre is a small city centre and everywhere is walkable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank TheRedBear
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

My boyfriend and I had a nice stay at Barnacle's Temple Bar Hostel. It is located in the middle of the nightlife district of Dublin, so there was always a party going on downstairs in the streets of Temple Bar, which was a pretty neat place to walk around.

The hostel itself was clean, with en suite bathrooms. There was a shared kitchen with plenty of seating, so many groups could be seated at the same time. We often ran into problems cooking here because it always seemed to be busy, and people took 3 hours to cook dinner, but that wasn't the hostel's fault.

The front desk staff were very helpful, and gave us ideas of little train trips to take to other villages outside of Dublin. We went to the fishing village of Howth, which was definitely neat, and different than Dublin.

There is internet. It's not free, but it's pretty cheap.

Overall, this was a fun hostel and I would return.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kate M
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

OK, so here's the deal. My husband and I (we're in our 20s) were touring Ireland on a budget, so we had to mix in some hostels here and there to save money. Since Dublin is so expensive, Barnacles had to be it. Let me tell you, I was *dreading* it, but after looking into countless Dublin hotels on TripAdvisor, it seemed like unless you can pay for the Four Seasons in Dublin, you'd shell out $300 USD for something that turned out to be unpleasantly not much nicer than a hostel. So Barnacles it was.

Even though it cost the same (90E, I'm pretty sure) as some really nice B&B's had in other places in Ireland, we were only in Dublin the night before our flight out and wanted something within short walking distance to things we wanted to see. So we paid for the location (and I'm glad we did).

When we checked in, the little lobby was crowded with this obnoxious group of English guys who were in Dublin to get drunk for the weekend. Nice. I was like, well, now this is exactly every bad thing I feared about a hostel. But we had booked a double room w a bathroom ensuite, and we were pretty pleasantly surprised. The room was actually quite clean, despite being itsy bitsy tiny (the bed literally took 90% of the room). But the sheets were clean, the room smelled fine (like room spray or something, but that's better than cigarettes), and even though you had to climb over the bed to get to it, there was even a tiny balcony overlooking the street. That was fun, except we had to share the balcony with our smoking neighbors who could be overheard saying jaded things in French ("I am le bored.")

The bathroom was a little grimy and reminiscent of a bus station for a clean-freak like me, but I managed, and it was really, really nice that Barnacles included towels and soap/shampoo (the other hostels hadn't had towels and we just dried off with our undershirts or something, I know, that's so cheap isn't it?).

As for the staff, I found them to be tremendously helpful. They directed us to a super-close bus stop that we hadn't read about anywhere else and gave us info about timing it right to catch the airport bus. They were really nice at all times, and there's somebody there 24h.

Also, the hostel has these cards that you have to use to access the stairwell to the rooms, which was a nice touch.

As for being in Temple Bar, I was scared we wouldn't get any sleep for the noise, but Barnacles is actually on a pretty quiet side street and it was great. Unless you had rowdy neighbors, noise wouldn't be a problem at night. You can hear kind of the low hum of the street noise in Temple Bar, punctuated by occasional breaking glass, but otherwise no big deal.

Finally, we actually used their common areas for Internet, and these were nice and clean. Breakfast too -they had toast and stuff. Not bad.

Overall, this is a pretty darn good bang for your buck in Dublin. Even if you're not there to get wasted in Temple Bar (we weren't), it's a convenient location. If you're looking for a clean place to stay and you're willing to take a gamble on the neighbors, I would recommend this hostel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It really all depends on who happens to be staying near you, so it's kind of a gamble
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KateKnows
Wolfville, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

We knew that we were staying in a hostel and in turn, had very low expectations. But not this low!! Here's why:
- The rooms are a joke. Very small and some have a sunlight that is not easily "blinded" 20 feet up above.
- The bathroom was great if you are not above 5 feet.
- THE STAFF ARE NOT FRIENDLY AND MAKE YOU FEEL UNWANTED. ESPECIALLY ONE FEMALE (EARLY 30'Sish, THIN, PALE, BANDANA). We pride ourselves on being polite and it was not reciprocated!
- They charge for everything. Holding bags for minimum 2 Euros. HAHAHAHA, are you kidding me? Ruined three shirts after paying 7 Euros for their "laundry service".
- Paying 90 Euros a night is not acceptable for this place and we feel that we got hosed!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff and Service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple