“Great, clean, fun hostel”

Barnacles Hostel Temple Bar
Ranked #3 of 112 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Leicester, UK
“Great, clean, fun hostel”
Reviewed 3 June 2010

It's the first time I've gone travelling alone, and wanted to stay somewhere safe and central and somewhere I'd be sure to meet people. Barnacles is perfect for all these. The staff were always helpful and wanted to help me out with any questions, it was clean and there was always a nice atmosphere in the kitchen and common room to meet other travellers. Location (next to Temple Bar pub in Temple Bar), as a solo traveller, is ideal too because you're always near home. I stayed in a 6 Bed mixed dorm for a week and had a brilliant time there. I've stayed in other Temple Bar hostels but they just haven't had the great atmosphere of Barnacles.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Barnacles was just an average hostel. It wasn't very clean. We had an ensuite bathroom that didn't get cleaned once while we were there. The location was good being around some great bars, and a busy night life. Good distance to some different sights, and the Guinness Storehouse. The common room was nice too but they kept closing it to use so a group could hold meetings in there. Kind of annoying. I'm sure it would be easy to find a place that might be more worth the money.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Israel
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We were stuck with no rooms in Dublin on st. Patrick's Week and luckily for us this great rated hostel had a cancellation. So we got 3 beds in a six bed mixed dorm room. The room was pretty clean, the sheets were clean and it all seemed ok. The shower stall was clean and there were hot water. As we walked into the room it was pretty strangled and we opened a room to ventilate it. The roommate, that slept above me, got back in the middle of the night and woke me up a few times, because the bed screeches. But overall, I slept ok. the staff was very helpful and friendly and all the mingling with the other guests in the "commune room" was pretty cool. The place is very secure, which is always very important and a good feeling to have when u sleep in a place in the temple bar area in the city center.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2010

A group of 5 of us visited Dublin and stayed in one of the 6 bed private rooms. This was perfect for our trip, as a group of students with an average age of 19, we were looking to find budget accommodation without compromising on quality. This was perfect for us.

We paid very little each and definitely got our moneys worth. The rooms were basic but very clean and everything that we needed. Our room had an ensuite which was also clean.

The hostel felt very secure, with a 24 hour reception manned by friendly staff. One of our group lost her suitcase on the flight (and she made quite a drama out of it!) and the staff were great in helping us out, calling the airport for us and doing all that they could to help.

The purpose of our visit was the typical young persons city break - for nights out and to see the sights in the day. The hotel is located right on Temple Bar and is ideally situated for the night-life. With the centre of the night-life within walking distance, we didn't need to get taxis anywhere after nights out.

For the daytime, we were located within walking distance to all shops, restaurants and many tourist attractions, any tourist attractions that were not within walking distance were easily accessible on one of the many sightseeing buses which cover most spots.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone seeking budget accommodation in Dublin that is clean, safe and centrally located for the city centre and night-life.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 18 January 2010

The receptionist is such a friendly guy, he even offered us to hang around in the common room after checking out while waiting for our departure back to Belfast. I only stayed for a night after attending a concert, our sleep was just alright except this one guest keep on snoring loudly (Not the hostel fault).

One problem, the 'cage' locker under the bed is quite hard to use as I had to hold on tight on both ends lock it with my padlock. Next day, when I wanted to unlock it, it broke my padlock leaving the cage locker shutted. Eventually, I had to take out my stuff from behind the bed as there's a small opening for me to get my stuff out, little by little.

Need new lockers.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2010

This hostel is awesome-great location, great rooms, great staff. Seriously one step outside and you're in the heart of Dublin. The only downside, a SIGNIFICANT downside is the amount of noise. I was in a double room, and could hear everything from the street all night. This included party-goers out until 4 am, then the sound of the pubs switching out kegs at 6 am. There are seriously people walking, partying, and yelling at all hours of the night. Didn't get sleep either of the nights I was there and it was a Sunday and Monday. Overall though, the cost/location outweighed it. Next time, I'd try to nap during the day a bit more when it's quiet.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank coconutkt
Reviewed 2 December 2009

The best hostel in Temple bar. Party all night, good breakfast and stuff....just 5 points. Go there on your own and have the time of your life, just like me and my friends did...

Stayed September 2009