“decent hotel, great staff, shame about the food”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here two nights before going on to a family wedding. We were given one of the rooms looking onto the Govt buidlings, which apparently are most in demand, but the traffic noise was too much for me so we were glad to have a much quiter - and nicer I thought -- room facing the garden but still in the old house for the second night. The breakfast is copious, but free range/unprocessed/organic food doesn't seem to have reached much of Dublin and this hotel wasn't an exception. Same problem with a bar meal. Excellent front of house staff though.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank smudgecirencester
There are newer reviews for The Merrion Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Got the chance to stay here for a conference (even though I live in Dublin!) - comfortably the best hotel in the city centre in my opinion. Excellent friendly and warm service, really comfortable lounges and bars; food is to DIE for; leisure area is small-ish but maintained to the highest standard; location opposite government buildings, beside merrion square and the good bars of baggot street cannot be bettered.

If you have just one night in Dublin, and are willing to spend money on one of the bigger chains (Westin, Hilton, Radisson etc.) spend it here instead - this place is the best!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank doogo
Reviewed 9 June 2011

This is a very nice hotel and you will pay for it. The service was extraordinary, the staff was so nice and helpful. The room was fantastic. The grounds were beautiful. You may also run into some politicos and celebs. But it comes with a price, this is 5 star. It is in Merrion square so a bit out of the way from the tourist areas, but something tells me he clientele here are not tourists.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank off_world
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I live about an hour from Dublin & pass the Merrion regularly. I’ve stopped in to the Cellar bar a few times and always enjoyed it. I almost fell over once when I met the entire French rugby team exiting the front door. I was aware of the illustrious guests it has accommodated so when I stayed this weekend for the first time I had very high expectations. What surprised me most was that these were surpassed by miles.

Our stay started with a big smile from the doorman who took the bags which we next saw in the room and the car which we didn't have to worry about again until we left. From that moment we were surrounded by the helpful and happy staff that made our stay perfect. We had a fabulous room in the main Georgian house with a wonderful view overlooking the beautiful buildings that house The Dáil. There are also garden view rooms if you’re not an architecture/politics/history fan but I love these buildings. Lunch in the drawing room was a real treat with perfect silver service, divine food and immaculately served tea. The garden is understated but full of surprises. Gorgeous colours pop throughout. The spa is wonderful. I had the Lifesaving back treatment delivered by a truly expert therapist. I haven’t felt my shoulders drop so low (relax) for a couple of years. The Cellar bar & restaurant have a relaxed atmosphere which was quite an accomplishment from staff who were delivering virtual perfection at every moment. My husband & I both ordered steak, his rare, mine medium, both were perfect – and the price was surprisingly reasonable. What I loved most about our stay was that every aspect of the service was of the highest possible standard but everything was so completely relaxed.

The Merrion has earned every one of its five stars in the loving care taken in the maintenance of the building and all of it’s beautiful rooms, in the attention and smiles of it’s staff not only where you’d expect on arrival and at reception but every time you encounter one of them in the corridors, in the wait staff that never intrude when you don’t need them but are there immediately when you do. There is not an ounce of bling or pretentiousness in this place. It is comfortable and elegant – quality in the truest sense.

If you’re looking for a special place to stay – an oasis of comfort, calm and elegance right in the middle of a bustling city – the Merrion will not fail to deliver.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CM1977
Reviewed 4 June 2011

What I liked best about the Merrion was the service. They actually try to anticipate your needs sometimes before you even think about it. Example: I was having a problem with my knee and needed to ice it. I called to have ice delivered telling them what it was for. They brought a bag full of ice as well as an ice bucket full letting me know I would need a lot of ice for icing my knee. They also knew to put it in a bag to make it easier. Example#2 we called for a wake up call and they asked if we needed a second one in 10minutes. Smart!!

Free Internet!! Hurrah!!

Our room was the King room over looking the garden. It was a very pretty room with a beautiful view. The bathroom was large.

The gym is small but has all the right stuff for a work out at a hotel. The pool area is great. The pool is tiled and large and they have a nice steam room with a cold shower outside which is nice if you like to run in and out of the steam room. The locker rooms and showers are large and well equipped.

We ate in the bar one evening and they have good wine list and the food was excellent and very nicely presented.

The only thing that surprised me was when asking the consierge for dining recommendations, he was not helpful. That was a huge surprise to us. They are usually the opitomy of knowledge and information.

Beds were very nice but they could upgrade the pillows. I love down pillows but not down pillows that are under stuffed. They need more luxurious pillows.

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay at the Merrion and would go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JECan
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I stayed here with my mother at the end of March to celebrate my 40th birthday and cannot provide enough superlatives about this hotel. Given our overnight translatlanic flight, the staff still found us a room to "sleep it off". At any time during our visit the concierges and doorman made every attempt to make us welcome and see to our everuy need. Upon waking that first day, we thoroughly enjoyed a breakfast in the Cellar. The hotel is located in the midst of the city, making every attraction walkable. Not being experts in Irish art, we took in the National Gallery, and were floored to find 2 Jack B. Yeats originals in the hotel's lobby. Now that is what I call impressive! But it is more important that every member of the staff did his/her best to make us comfortable during our 3-day stay. No task was too small or large. We enjoyed a high "art" tea one day, and it was a highlight of our stay. Being part of a 40th-birthday celebration, I splurged on the cost, but it was completely worth every penny. I can only fathom that any negative reviews on this site are from perpetual malcontents.... if something disagrees with you at this establishment, all you need to do is ask for an improvement and it will appear. Thank you to all the staff!

• Stayed: March 2011
4  Thank ASpod
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Afternoon tea great. Rooms large. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great location.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple