“One of best hotels ever”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One of best hotels ever”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Dublin was the first stop on a 10 day driving trip throught Ireland and the Hotel Merrion got us off to an amazing start. The vibe is upscale luxury but not stuffy at all. From the moment we arrived by cab in the rain all of our needs were anticipated and met. Very nice front door staff helped us out of the cab, covered us with an umbrella, took our bags and walked us in. Check in was very smooth and we were shown to our amazing room. I had let them know in advance that we were celebrating our honeymoon and they upgraded us to a larger room, where we were met with some delicious apricots on a plate which spelled out "congratulations" in chocolate script! The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and I am very picky about beds. Bathroom was great--my only minor complaint is the hot and cold water come out of seperate faucets in the sink so you need to be careful not to freeze or burn your hands when washing up. We had dinner at the cellar bar the first night and it was one of the best meals we had on a trip filled with them (who knew the food in Ireland was so great!). Next morning we got some great suggestions of what to see in Dublin from the friendly conciere. The location of the hotel is great for sightseeing. Right near St Stephens Green and Trinity College, walking distance to Temple Bar and most everywhere, 2 min from a hop on hop off bus stop. Cannot recommend this hotel enough. My one regret is that we did not have time to get some drinks at the Cellar Bar which looked amazing, but we only had 2 nights in Dublin and just couldn't do everything we wanted!
In sum--don't think twice, stay at the Merrion. It is on the higher end price wise of the hotels in the city but absolutely worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David S
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear David S,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I am also pleased you enjoyed your meal so much us in the Cellar Bar which I have shared with our Chef and all the team in the Kitchen.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed at the Merrion for 2 nights with our 5 month old son in June.

For the most part the hotel was excellent, we had a very nice room on the 2nd floor, with a huge bathroom and massive bed. There was plenty of room for our travel cot and the blackout curtains meant that the baby slept as well as he does at home - we have discovered to our cost that this is not always the case. The room was very clean and had everything supplied as standard - including a bathrobe for the baby, very cute!
We ate room service the first night, which was very good and served beautifully on a pop-up trolley table, so we didn't have to eat on our lap - it was expensive, but then it's a 5* hotel, everything's expensive. The second night we ate at Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud, which I've reviewed separately - it was superb, well worth its 2 michelin stars.
We ate breakfast in the restaurant the first morning, which was the first negative we encountered - the staff were surly and quite rude, we had to ask for both coffee (rubbish, watery filter coffee) and toast - a 5* hotel should be providing quality coffee and you should not have it poured from a flask that had been made for goodness knows how long. We were shown to a table that had no cups, no butter and almost no milk left in the jug, so when the toast and coffee finally came, there was a faff while these things were replenished. The scrambled eggs and smoked salmon was unpleasant - both my husband and I ordered it and we were both of the opinion that the salmon was poor quality and the eggs were not cooked properly.
The second morning we had breakfast in our room, which couldn't have been more different. The Irish breakfast I had was fantastic - possibly the best I've ever had and my husband had the Healthy Breakfast option, which he also raved about. It was well worth the tray charge and again was served on the heated trolley table, so was piping hot.
Aside from the Cellar restaurant staff at breakfast, all of the other staff that we came across were first class and could not have been friendler or more helpful. They even remembered the baby's name and would talk to him if they saw us round the hotel - a really lovely touch.
The location of the hotel is perfect, easy walking distance to St Stephen's Green, Grafton Street and most of the other Dublin attractions - for those wishing to take a tour, the tour buses all stop a very short walk from the hotel entrance.
We would definitely stay here again the next time we are in Dublin, however would probably avoid breakfast in the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LSPAberdeen_Scotland
Dear LSPAberdeen_Scotland,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was most concerned to read of your experience at breakfast in the Cellar Restaurant and I have already followed this up with the team as this is most unusual feedback for us to hear. I only hope it will not deter you from staying with us again and to that end please do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can make the necessary arrangements.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 July 2012

A few years back, I stayed many times in The Merrion and considered it one of the best hotels in the world. It is still delightful, but looks a little more old fashioned now.

The lobby and bar as is very cosy and inviting, and the inner courtyard gives a feeling of peace and tranquility. The rooms are spacious, and the marble bathrooms wonderful, with both bathtubs and shower cubicles.

However, my stay was not perfect. I was checked into a ground floor room which was right next  to the very noisy heating system in the courtyard. Due to a fully booked hotel, they couldn't change my room, but provided earplugs after 2 reminders. I slept badly and woke up, whenever the earplugs fell out. When my neighbour had a shower in the morning, the plumbing sounded like a jet was taking off next to me at 6 am in the morning.

Unfortunately, I felt really knackered the next day and cannot give a better rating for this very reason. Avoid the ground floor at any cost and ask for a quiet room!

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank KarinGlobal
Dear KarinGlobal,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again during your visit to Dublin and for your nice comments about the Hotel. Firstly I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant night’s sleep and should we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again we have noted your request for a quiet room. I am also pleased to inform you that we are in the middle of a full soft refurbishment of the Hotel which will give the bedrooms a more revitalized look along with additional services and amenities such as I-pod docking stations, irons & ironing boards along with tea & coffee making facilities.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and to that end please do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can make the necessary arrangements.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Staff was/is very courteous, both in the reception and in the restaurant. It was a nice touch that the woman who checked us in walked us to our room and gave us a tour - and asked if we wanted to tour, so as to not be pushy. I liked that touch. Bags came up quick.

The dinner was nice, and the staff was very friendly. I liked each one that I deal with, and I think we dealt with all but one. Appointments in the room are nice. In particular, the writing desk/materials are wonderful: linen stationary is awesome. My daughter is writing letters to family as I type this.

The chocolate covered strawberries and fruit plate was a nice touch as well.

Two drawbacks, neither of which is huge.

1. Couldn't upgrade. not a big deal, but I always feel mildly slighted if I can't get some sort of perk just for being me. :)

2. After dinner and desert, my daughter and I sat for quite a while waiting for anyone to come and check on us. After a good long while I got up and stood at the host station until (quickly) I was addressed. I understand why it happened - when we got there at 7:00, the place was deserted. By the time we left at 8:30, it was packed. Still, understanding does not mean acceptance, particularly as all we wanted to do at that point was to retire to our room and get the road off. :)

Over all, after about 4 hours here, I'd say I'm pleased. No stay is perfect, and they really did get pretty busy right about the time we were leaving.

I'll pin another review when we leave.

Thomas, rm 135 garden view

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tmwelshy
Dear tmwelshy,

Many thanks for the review posted recently during your stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. Thank you for the feedback about your experience in the Cellar Restaurant and I am sorry that we were unable to offer you a complimentary upgrade on this occasion due to business levels.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I can see why the Merrion is rated #1 on Tripadvisor. We booked through Expedia and snagged a good deal for peak travel (July). Booked a queen room. Arrived very early after our overnight flight from the US. We were promptly greeted at our taxi and our luggage whisked away. The front desk was very helpful. A room was not ready though, but I wasn't surprised. We were really early (9 AM). They were able to get us in just before 11 AM and had upgraded us to a king room with a garden view.

The room was VERY large by European standards and very comfortable. Hubby says it was the best hotel bed he had been on in a long time. There were several comfy chairs and we even had a little balcony we could stand on that overlooked the garden. Bathroom was quite large with a separate shower and tub. Full amenities available (shampoo/conditioner/body wash/lotion). Bathrobe and slippers also there.

Stocked mini bar and snacks. Little pricey though. One free bottle of water (they laughed when we asked how much. Nothing is free in the US!).

The garden area is beautiful and great for relaxing in the evening. There are two drawing rooms with fires burning (with peat logs!). So quaint.

Within 5 minutes walking of Merrion Square and St. Stephen's. 10 minutes from Grafton Street. 25 minutes from St. Patrick's/Christ Church. A little less to Temple Bar. I walked everywhere!

Cost of taxi from the airport to hotel on a Saturday AM was 35 euro (including tip) and on Sunday AM was 30 euro (to car rental).

We would stay here again in a heartbeat and wished we had more than one night.

Room Tip: We were in 215. Very quiet, close to elevator, and overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Naomi E
Dear twiggers77,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and you have more time to relax and enjoy what The Merrion has to offer.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 July 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Merrion Hotel for two nights. There were many positive things about the hotel...restaurant, concierge and location. However, upon check in we were extremely jet lagged and our room was not ready. Rather then switch our room they told us to go get something to eat and afterwards the room would be ready. Second problem, wi-fi did not work from our room. We NEVER got a signal! The staff knew and did not care. Next, we enjoyed our spa treatments, but the changing area was a mess and never cleaned. Finally, we ordered a cup of icecream in the lounge and it cost 9 euros, which is absolutely absurd.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room where wi-fi actually works!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank J M
, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Vactioner1000,

Firstly, thank you for your positive comments about the Hotel and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us overall. I regret that we were unable to accommodate an early check-in for you this time and rest assured we always try our utmost to facilitate this. Unfortunately given our occupancy levels we were unable to do so on this occasion. With regards to the lack of a WiFi signal I am very sorry that this occurred. It was due to a technical error with our service provider (beyond our immediate control) which has now been rectified. In no way did we mean to give the impression that we didn’t care and I understand only so well how frustrating this can be. For that we are genuinely sorry and I only hope it doesn’t deter you from staying with us again.

To that end please do let me know if you wish to stay with us again so I can make the necessary arrangements personally.

Peter MacCann
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Was lucky enough to again stay in the fabulous Merrion Hotel. It really is the best hotel in Dublin. Got a great deal on Hotels.com for a Friday night stay. Its the little touches that separate this hotel from others. The friendly (not fake) staff, the little bottle of water beside your bed when you return from a night out, the updates in your room regarding the weather, local events, traffic disruptions (updated daily) & other little touches all add up.

It is a little pricer than other hotels but shop around for a deal and you might be lucky enough to get one. However if you do end up paying a little more it is more than worth it.

Looking forward to my next visit.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank LaSaor
, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear LaSaor,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team and service here at The Merrion. It is particularly rewarding when these comments come from guests such as you who have stayed with us before and we hope stay with us again.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Peter MacCann