“Do Not Disturb”

Ranked #1 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Cork
“Do Not Disturb”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

Myself and my fiancée were given a gift of a Blue Book voucher recently which we decided to redeem at the Merrion Hotel Saturday 13 Oct 2012.
We arrived to a pleasant reception, and were guided to our room (134) by a member of staff.
We had booked a standard queen room and were quite surprised to find a cot, amongst other baby paraphernalia (most unromantic) taking up a large section of our rather small room.
We requested that the cot be removed and after about 10 minutes a porter arrived to take the cot away, but not before first asking (repeatedly) are we sure we didn't order a cot. After a prolonged discussion about our lack of cot requirements he finally accepted that we had not ordered it and dragged the cot rather unceremoniously out of the room. With the cot gone we had the chance to view the room properly for the 1st time....and found it to be underwhelming to the extent that it appears more like a 2/3 star rather that the luxurious 5 star we had been looking forward to. The decor was old and dated, the lamps shades hung haphazardly on the lamps (attention to detail not a strong point) the clock radio did not function at all. The room and the corridor leading to the room were decorated very poorly (again like something out a 2 star), there was absolutely nothing about the room that indicated luxury, class or sophistication....it was in fact a complete and utter disappointment,,,,not worth a €100 let alone the €250 they charge for the room. The telephone had telecom eireann written across it which gives you an idea of when the room was last renovated.
The next morning following breakfast, which was adequate (there was a good selection, however the bread and cheese was certainly not fresh) we returned to our room and placed the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door and perhaps naively assumed from there that we would not be disturbed. However this was not the case. Within 20 mins (approximately an hour before check-out) there was particularly aggressive knocking on the door, which I answered. A porter rather rudely asked to be let in to check the mini bar. Out of absolute shock I let him in, however I must say I have never before experienced this treatment in any hotel, let alone one claiming to be a 5 star. The usual treatment being where on check-out you would be asked did you use the mini-bar facilities (which we didn't in any case). I found the treatment invasive, unnecessary and frankly unprofessional...again something I would not expect to experience in a true 5 star hotel.

Overall it was a very disappointing experience and not only would I not recommend the hotel but I will be actively encouraging colleagues and friends to steer clear of the place. MOST DISAPPOINTING.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
22 Thank Eric N
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Eric N,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to speak with me earlier and I am genuinely sorry that your experience was not as it should have been. Clearly we made some very basic errors which I accept full responsibility for. I am however pleased that we will have the opportunity of restoring your faith in The Merrion at a future date.

If I can be of any further assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Hotel in excellent location. Quiet but very near to good restaurants pubs ans shops
Garden superior room was lovely.
Staff very helpful
Breakfast excellent
Definitely would recommend the place
Suggest foleyy pub for great music and night out

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Jacqueline D
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Dear seajac,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

We spent a week at the Merrion and loved every minute of it. The service was outstanding, we had a beautiful suite and hosted lunches for guests there during several days. The location is excellent and we felt very much " at home". It is top of the market price wise in Dublin, but in our view, worth the premium.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank RobertandRhoda
Dear guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed 6 nights at the Merrion Hotel. The staff was attentive. Service was impeccable. The room was a nice size, quiet, and all was very very clean.
The entrance is nondescript, leaving the feeling that you are entering a house instead of a 5 * hotel. Something a little more formal would be nice.
We had a bed and breakfast package, and the food was super.
I recommend hot chocolate in the morning, formal tea in the afternoon, and late night irish coffee.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Ggraveswood
Dear Ggraveswood,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with the entire team here. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

This is one of the best-run hotels I have ever stayed at. In addition to a beautiful building (the birthplace of the Duke of Wellington, if memory serves) the hotel boasts several fantastic restaurants. What really stands out, however, is the service -- an understated attention to detail. Imagine a place with beautiful 18th century furnishings that is more than just kid-friendly: everyone practically doted on our (active) 3 yr old. All hotels should be run like this. It could be located in cinderblock towers and it would still be memorable. Luckily it's located in a gorgeous Georgian mansion. Expensive, yes, but a bargain.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ilovescones
Dear ilovescones,

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. We are particularly pleased your child enjoyed their stay also and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights starting September 20.
The hotel is redone wonderfully to depict the time period. The rooms were spacious and immaculately clean.
The bathroom was incrediblly done in marble, with a separate shower and tub.
The bed and pillow were the most comfortable that we had on our two week vacation that spanned 3 countries and 5 hotels!
The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Even arranged a private driver for the day- Patty- who was the most personable and competent tour guide we had!
The hotel is central and walking distance to most downtown attractions and restaurants etc.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank capo227600
Dear capo227600,

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

What an amazing experience we had in this beautiful and stylish Hotel!!! The staff were amazing, the rooms were out of this world and the food was to die for, can't wait to go back definitely gonna be our little Anniversary treat to ourselves each year. Couldn't think of a more romantic way to spend it! x

Room Tip: The rooms in the older part of the original House are out of this world. Sheer luxury