“Old style understated elegance”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
N Ireland
“Old style understated elegance”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Spent a night at the hotel in order to visit Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud. Stayed in a deluxe room which was spacious and beautifully appointed with a view overlooking the garden. The room was equipped with a large tv and Bose radio, the sofa and chair were very comfortable. It was a lovely place to relax before dinner and after breakfast while reading the complimentary newspaper. The bathroom was large and well equipped and to the standard one would expect for such a hotel. Both bars in the hotel are pleasant places to relax, my own preference is the Cellar Bar which is exactly that-a cellar. The spa has a good easily accessible swimming pool and steam room as well as a small gym. The staff throughout were courteous and helpful and always on hand. As the title states, the hotel exudes old style understated elegance and we hope to visit again for another special treat.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank trekfinder
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear trekfinder,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about all aspects of your stay here at The Merrion. It is very satisfying for all the team here when we read comments like yours as it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NJ
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We spent two nights in October at the Merrion Hotel in a deluxe room in the main house. Our stay included breakfast. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. The bathroom while not huge, was of a comfortable size and was also very clean. Our room had a sitting area and I felt comfortable sitting on all of the soft surfaces. The food at breakfast was varied and good. Our stay included a Friday and Saturday night stay and the hotel was quite busy. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KarenPNJ
Dear Karen PNJ,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Louth
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Myself and my wife stayed here for the weekend principally because we had booked to eat on site in guilbauds and there was an offer of five hundred euros for bed and breakfast for the two nights which we reckoned was good value for a five star in a great location
The restaurant experience was indeed excellent
The room we had was ok
The decor looks a little dated and the aircon was also only just ok
The curtains do not provide blackout at night
We were on the top floor and the water pressure in the shower was not very high

The biggest problem we had was with the breakfast and had problems both days
On the first day the coffee brought to the table was cold and was of course replaced but not with an apology but rather with an inane comment about needing hot coffee in Dublin
The second morning was even worse in that my wife's cooked breakfast was brought to the table while she was still eating her fruit
It was brought away but when brought back fifteen minutes later was cold
Clearly the same plate of food
On this occasion there was a profuse apology and a fresh breakfast was brought
The breakfast itself was good
In summary the accommodation is fine but our experience was less good than we had expected
We will not be staying again

3 Thank DaveLouth
Dear Dave Louth,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

Needless to say I was disappointed to read your comments and clearly we made some errors which impacted on your overall experience here at The Merrion. I genuinely hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back at a future date and I would be most grateful if you would be so kind as to contact me directly to discuss your recent stay or email me on generalmanager@merrionhotel.com

I hope to hear from you soon and indeed to welcoming you back to stay with us to restore your faith in the Merrion Experience.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Wonderful long weekend here. Would stay here again. Good choice of resturants, helpful staff and good central location. Spa and gym lovely and well worth a visit. Afternoon tea is well worth sampling.………………

3 Thank Kaspen
Dear Kaspen,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

My husband and I had considered The Merrion as a splurge during our Dublin trip, but opted for the Shelbourne because of a discount website deal and location. When our flights were unexpectedly delayed a day, we booked The Merrion as a last minute treat. This hotel is possibly the classiest I have ever experienced. Every aspect of our stay was luxurious: the customer service (which upgraded our room without being asked and allowed us to stay in the more historic part of the hotel), the accommodations (comfortable and plush with huge rooms and comfortable bedding), the spa, and my personal favorite, the dining. The Cellar Bar was a treasure. My husband and I ate in complete privacy within a vault in the converted historic wine cellar. The food was fantastic, not your average pub fare. The entire experience was so rejuvenating that my husband stayed at the hotel several hours beyond me in the morning despite the separate cab fares to the airport. :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda M
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2012

So normally, when something is reviewed well, I tend to be disapointed after all the anitcipation. This was not the case with the Merrion.

After staying at other 5 star hotels while travelling in Ireland, this was by far, the best one.

The best: the staff were amazing and not stuffy as others had been at other hotels. They were very friendly and helpful. Not once did I feel out of the place. The room was fantastic. The slippers were so comfortable and the turn down service was really nice. The bed and pillows are fabulous. The attention to detail was evident. We ordered room service breakfast two mornings in a row and it was out of this world. So much food and good and hot. The coffee was the best I had in our travels. The bathroom had a seperate bath and shower, and had towel warmers. I did not spend much time in the commom areas but they seemed clean and nice. The consierge was spot on and recommended a wonderful restaurant not far away.

The good: The cellar bar had good pints. The food was just ok and the menu fairly limiting. The sheets were good but I have slept in better ones.

The Merrion is just miles ahead of other 5 star hotels, not just in Ireland but in North America as well. Probably my favourite I have ever stayed in. If i win the lottery, I would be here on a regular basis.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shynk
Dear shynk,

Many thanks for the wonderful and comprehensive review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about all aspects of your stay here at The Merrion. It is very satisfying for all the team here when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

Paris
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in many hotels in Dublin and this one is by far the best!!!
The hotel is located very central and just few steps from the famous and animated Graffton street. Furthermore the hotel is just 2 mins walk from the Stephen's Green Park.

My room was very big, with a balcony and the view in the gardens.

We had a brunch and one dinner at the hotel and it was delicious.

The service at the hotel is beyond good.

The communal areas are extremely cosy and the hotel is full of pieces of art.

If you want to have a chic and memorable stay in Dublin please stay at the Merrion!!

4 Thank Malvina31