We got married at the Merrion in October 2012.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough to have a wedding in. I do not have a single complaint about the Merrion, including both the wedding preparation and the wedding day itself. We live in Australia, so the vast majority of decisions were made by email.
We were looking for a couple of things: a hotel that could handle all the finer details as we weren't around, a good meal (my husband is a food snob, and really wanted a restaurant wedding, but it wasn't practical for us), and somewhere that my young nieces and nephews (we had 15 young children at the wedding) would be made welcome.
We investigated a number of hotels known to have good restaurants and found that the Merrion was by far the most service-driven. Even in early conversations, when we were just enquiring, no amount of questioning was too much for them, the event manager answered all emails immediately and with great patience. The hotel was clearly very flexible about accommodating what we want, and very welcoming of children. The most interesting thing was that they were the most reasonably priced too, when the whole package was considered.
The things we were most pleased with:
1. Our Event Manager, Jana, was just superb. I was able to arrive in Ireland a few days before the wedding with everything organised, nothing was too much for her. I also particularly appreciated that she accommodated everything we wanted, but if I was totally wrong she said so!
2. The service of other staff beforehand, and on the day. All guests were treated wonderfully, on the day itself, nothing went wrong whatsoever. There was always a staff member around when any little thing arose.
3. The flexibility of staff in e.g. allowing my father in law to use their wheelchair around Dublin.
4. The complete lack of pretention of the staff. All staying guests were treated very warmly.
5. The reliability of everything; if a staff member said they would do something, it happened exactly as promised.
6. The wonderful food at the meal and throughout our stay, really consistently high quality.
7. The kids had a wonderful time, and really enjoyed their dinner, and the cupcakes prepared by the pastry chef.
8. The accommodation quality; we were devastated to be leaving, we can't wait to stay there again.
9. My in-laws used the spa the day before and said it was great.
10. The bill. While it's obviously not cheap, it was not at all as expensive as we thought it might be; All prices were explained when we first enquired, there were no hidden costs at all.
It really was as good a wedding as we could have hoped for, what more can you ask for?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Merrion, created from four Georgian townhouses, is located in the city centre opposite government buildings. Many of the 142 bedrooms and suites overlook period landscaped gardens. Guests can dine in the 2-star Michelin restaurant Patrick Guilbaud or The Cellar Restaurant and Bar. The intimate No 23 cocktail bar waits as does the Tethra Spa which boasts an 18m pool, steam room, fully equipped gymnasium and two private treatment rooms. The Merrion offers six private dining and meeting rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Merrion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.