“High end hotel … but not for me, sorry.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
United Kingdom
“High end hotel … but not for me, sorry.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Let me begin my review by putting my rating in context – I would’ve been inclined to offer a further half star rating if this was available. My husband thinks the hotel deserves more. As with every review it is subjective.

There are a number of factors which affected the quality of my stay and these are the reasons why I am marking the Merrion down. However I always endeavour to provide a balanced review and have listed some positives attributes in addition, to enable you to make an informed choice.

Firstly – the negatives.
1. Room temperature. We were blessed with blue skies and temperatures sitting in the early 20’s during our stay, and am certain that the room temperature would have been ideal over a cooler period. On the first night we used the air con, and found this did little to alleviate the heat. The unit was also incredibly noisy. We then requested a freestanding cooling fan for our room, which was delivered promptly. On the second and subsequent nights we used this and opened the windows. This was better but still greatly impacted on our sleep quality.
2. Each morning we were awoken by the sound of doors banging shut from other rooms along our corridor. This problem would be eradicated if the doors were fitted with a soft hinge function, and would greatly reduce noise.
3. Vegetarian dining at the cellar bar resturant. The two options of soup or salad are uninspiring. Further consideration of vegetarian dining would have been appreciated.
4. Stairs. The lifts project a very opulent image, the stairs are less aesthetically pleasing. Some guests prefer to use the stairs and some tender loving care in this area of the hotel would make them more visually appealing and in keeping with the rest of the hotel, as opposed to being starkly functional.
5. Gardens. The gardens are immaculately kept and a credit to the hotel. However, given the nice weather we were often frustrated that the rear section was cordoned off for functions.
6. Toilet brush. Some 5*hotels provide them, most don’t. Personally I do not feel comfortable leaving this for housekeeping to address.
7. Although I was decently dressed in casual attire I did feel as though I was being judged by some of the guests and therefore did not feel comfortable spending much time in the public areas of the hotel. There was an air of pretention.

Secondly - the positives –
1. The room was spotlessly clean, as was the Merrion. You will not fault the standard of cleanliness.
2. Professional and courteous customer service.
3. Good central location – a 5minute walk from Grafton Street, Saint Stephen’s Green, City Bus Tours etc. In short – all amenities that you would require for a city break.
4. Wonderful indoor 18m pool and steam room. Well worth a visit! Would recommend.
5. Beautifully tended grounds.
6. Complimentary water provided in room daily.
7. Bowls of apples dotted around the vicinity. Nice thoughtful touch.

3 Thank Happyonholiday29
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us and for your considerate and wide-ranging feedback.

I appreciate your very positive comments regarding certain aspects of your stay and your kind feedback about my colleagues which I will be sure to share with them. Needless to say I was disappointed to read your other remarks and it is clear that did not meet our own standards for certain elements of your stay and for that I am truly sorry. We are continually striving to improve on our guest experience and the amenities and services we offer and we appreciate your feedback which I can assure you will be taken onboard fully. I am particularly disappointed that you felt somewhat uncomfortable in our public areas with other patrons as we endeavour at all times to provide a homely, warm and welcoming atmosphere regardless of whether you are in casual or business attire…or formal attire for that matter!

Rest assured I will review the points you have raised with the wider management team here at the Hotel and address them, where possible, in a timely fashion.

I am confident that should we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again you will experience our usual standard of guest care and to that end please do not hesitate to contact me personally so as I can make the necessary arrangements.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Hotel was wonderful to me and my kids. Could not have done more to help with any request my family had. I loved the afternoon tea and my kids loved the front door man who was always happy to see them and help out. Very good area and easy to walk into city center.

Room Tip: I booked a family room; the hotel had a wonderful welcome gift left for each kid. The pool was great...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 991JoanneP_13
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently which I was delighted to read.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did and thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post it; we all greatly appreciate it. I am delighted that you and your family had such a memorable stay and your feedback has given the entire team a big boost.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

It is hard to fault this hotel. The location opposite the Parliament a few hundred yards from St Stephen's Green and Grafton St is hard to beat.

But it's the sheer luxury of the place that makes it truly 5 star.

We only stayed for 2 nights but so glad we did. The big chunky sofas in the lobby area are a great place to hang out and the staff whilst very efficient are not at all intrusive.

We were lucky that the weather was warm and sunny and we had the chance to eat in the courtyard garden, a rare opportunity in most hotels.

My favorite part was the little bar in the front, lovely selection of single malt whiskies.

Room Tip: Sweet talk the front desk clerk
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful gardens which are always a favourite of our guests and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

This hotel is far more expensive than many alternatives. The room was comfortable and the staff repeatedly welcomed you and asked if there was anything they could do. Unfortunately whenever we did ask for something it was too difficult. For example:
-we paid 500 euro for a meal in Patrick Guilgaud but the staff refused to say what was in the degustation menu so we could make an informed decision between it and the al a carte menu.
- we tried to book a high tea and were told by staff that high teas were booked out two weeks in advance.
We won't be staying again and wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently which I was disappointed to read.

I have shared your comments regarding the adjoining Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud with the manager there and I would welcome further feedback from you regarding the apparent lack of flexibility with booking a table for you for our Art Afternoon Tea. Our Art Tea is extremely popular with a limited amount of tables but I do hope that every effort was made to try and accommodate you so if you could contact me directly with further details at generalmanager@merrionhotel.com I would be very appreciative.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Had an afternoon artist high tea with my mum here. Great rooms and furnishings, roaring fire, impeccable and yet personal service, delicious sweets and savouries, easy central location to walk to, and overall good value given how fabulous the whole afternoon was. I will never forget it!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Caitlinnn
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to our Drawing Rooms for Art Afternoon Tea.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all the team concerned who join me in saying a “big thank you” also. I am truly delighted that you and your mother enjoyed your visit so much; your comment that you will never forget it says it all really – thank you.

To that end I hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to us again very soon.

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

A delightful hotel , responsive staff , great location , divine rooms , fine fare .... this has it all and a lot more , the chic factor , ....so few find it , the merrion does , would make this no 1 in dublin , it has show but it has more substance .... four seasons staff should visit ....do not miss this though take good credit card as comes at a price , though who cares when the memories are so strong ... and lasting , thank you all

Room Tip: all pretty good though ask for a fire
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bertie W
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you again for your encouraging words.

Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

We enjoyed our two night stay. It was a bank holiday weekend, however, the hotel is an oasis of calm. The atmosphere is quiet and sophisticated. Our large room was on the first floor with a view of the gardens. It was very quiet. What has been said previously about the staff is true. They are, for the most part (see below), helpful and professional. The first evening I order a drink with dessert in the Cellar Bar and when the manager learned I did not care for the drink, he brought me something he thought I would prefer at no cost. The last evening of our trip we dined at The Cellar and truly enjoyed our experience.

Our only quibbles are the lack of coffee/tea facilities in the room, or the offer of those at no cost in the lobby or bar in the morning. It would have been a nice touch. The other is the minibar service. As often happens they came to refill the minibar on the second day and had a list of items they said we consumed. We had not and informed them. The woman thought she had serviced the minibar before we checked in but couldn't remember. Please be accurate on this as it always embarrassing to have to argue about items the previous guest obviously took after they checked out. The last night the turn down service knocked on our door just as we were about to leave for dinner. I told her "five minutes". She handed me a piece of paper and never returned. Five minutes after we returned two hours later, (We put the "do not disturb" sign out because she was still in the hallway.) she put another note under the door saying "please call when you are ready for turndown service". Well, we were ready for the last two hours!

1 Thank SugarCreek
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel along with your constructive feedback which I have taken onboard fully and I am sorry for any inconvenience it caused you.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again and that your visit then will be a memorable one.