“Lovely historic hotel near everything”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Alameda, California
“Lovely historic hotel near everything”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I love history and old architecture. We also love to walk to attractions. The Merrion Hotel provided us all of the above and more. The staff was consistently friendly and service was excellent. The room was lovely and comfortable. We were there on July 4th and when we returned to our room from our sightseeing, we found fancy tea cakes with a red, white and blue theme and a note wishing us a Happy Fourth of July! We ate dinner one night in the Cellar and it too was excellent with great service. We could easily walk to anything in City Centre; the Tourist Information, Grafton Street, the parks, Trinity College, good eaterys and O'Donoghue's Pub (heard great music there). Our one disappointment was that the buffet breakfast, although good, was overpriced even by hotel standards. The Concierge was happy to give us directions to a good, inexpensive breakfast place nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DodiK
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with the entire team here. With regards to your comments about breakfast in the Cellar Restaurant, we do keep our prices under constant review and I have taken your feedback on board.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our amenities for the 4th of July celebrations and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Loved this hotel! Rooms were great and spacious for Europe. Hotel has lots of character and was great environment. Service in all terms at the hotel was superb. We loved the turn down service! We would love to go back on our next trip to Dublin!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth G
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay with us which I was absolutely delighted to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with all the team here. It is extremely heartening to read your words of praise for my colleagues as each and every one of them strive to provide a memorable experience for our guests.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Finally a hotel that lives up to its star rating. We received an excellent welcome, both friendly and professional. Our luggage was delivered to our room within 5 mins of arriving, which was great as we wanted to make the best of the day and head out straight away. The rooms are traditionally decorated, very bright, airy and spotlessly clean. They were also very well maintained, a good size and had a cosy, homely feel. The furnishings, linen and toiletries all provided the luxury you expect when you stay in a 5 star hotel. The hotel inner courtyard was a delightful surprise and an ideal place to sit on a sunny day. One word to describe The Merrion would be elegant.

The hotel is in a great location, central but not in the thick of all the noise. We unfortunately never got the opportunity to try the very tasty looking high tea (we will return another time for that). We did however eat in the cellar restaurant with friends and found the food and service to be very good, if a little overpriced.

The gym was one of the smallest I’ve been in however it was sufficient. The Spa prices I found very expensive for the services offered. The girl was very nice and the treatment was ok however when staying again I would probably go elsewhere for a treatment to get better value.

Some negative things I would have to point out were –
We found the Internet to be a little slow.
The air conditioning was very noisy.
You could hear water running in the bathroom pipes very clearly, especially in the mornings when people in adjacent rooms were showering.
However none of these issues would stop us from staying in the future.

When we are back in Dublin later this year The Merrion will definitely be our first choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wooforbes
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us so extensively.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I appreciate also your constructive feedback which I have taken onboard fully. I am only too aware how these shortcomings can impact on a guest’s experience and I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you again for taking the time and for your encouraging words.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Excellent quality of food, menu selection and physical atmosphere. Wonderful salads, fantastic service. Price, not cheap, but excellent quality.

The only downside is the basement venue, quite dark and down a steep stairs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank clare w
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review following your recent visit to The Merrion.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your dining experience in our Cellar Bar and I have shared them with both the Cellar Bar and Kitchen teams and they say a very big “thank you” as well.

I hope it is not too long before you return to us again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We treat ourselves to a weekend in Dublin every year and given that it is a treat we splash out on the Merrion. To my mind, what the Merrion does best is subtle, understated elegance allied to superb service which is consistently attentive, friendly and yet unobtrusive. If you want flashy or loud, don't stay at the Merrion, however if it is true quality you are after, look no further.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank fifibel
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

My colleagues and I were delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great lift. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us.

We are genuinely honoured that you stay with us for your annual treat and are looking forward to welcoming you back next year and that your visit to Dublin then will be as memorable as this was.

Thank you again for your encouraging words

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Sometimes, a 5* rating is just an excuse to give 4* or even 3* service at a higher price. The Merrion shows what 5 stars really means. From the moment of our arrival, when the concierge took our car away, to the time we checked out, the service could not be faulted.
If there is such a thing as an "Irish" welcome, then I would suggest that there is also a specifically "Dublin" welcome as well. 5 stars can bring a certain stuffiness and fawning attention, but not here. The staff - and there was no shortage of them - always seemed to be looking for some way of helping to make the experience special.
Make no mistake, this is not a hotel for anyone on a tight budget, so for most people, it will be somewhere to stay on a special occasion. But you will leave with a warm glow, having been pampered and "mothered" in every way. Rooms are immaculate, with crisp linen, luxury cosmetics, well stocked mini-bar, robes and slippers. The only slight quibble was poor water pressure in the shower. The spa is relatively small, but there is a well equipped gym, a lovely 18m pool, and a steam room (no sauna). There are three options for dining. The Cellar bar offers great value, with main courses in the € 20 - €25 range. Next door, the Cellar restaurant is cosy, with a nice a la carte menu, and if you really want to splurge, the hotel boasts Ireland's only 2* Michelin restaurant. A huge thank you is due to all the staff, who made our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Probably the best breakfast in bed we have ever had. Beautifully presented, hot and delicious.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nothingbutthebest
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic review following your recent stay with us which I was pleased to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Every one of my colleagues’ endeavours to provide our guests with as comfortable a stay as possible and I am glad that you had such an enjoyable time. Your words speak for themselves really and have given the entire team a big boost.

I hope we have the opportunity and the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We wanted a hotel in the heart of Dublin that provided a great service and luxury accommodations. The Merrion hotel met all of our expectations. Check in was smooth and the accommodations were top notch. We asked for an upgrade and they accommodated us with a smile. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Petit-Lapin405
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you and we are delighted that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.