“Wonderful hotel, worth going back to except for the restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
New York
“Wonderful hotel, worth going back to except for the restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Nice rooms. Efficient and very comfortable, with everything you need. Good service. Friendly and helpful. Interesting architecture. Terrible service in their restaurant, but otherwise very nice. Just don't eat in the Cellar.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hal013
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was most concerned to read of your experience at dinner in the Cellar Restaurant and I have already followed this up with the team as this is most unusual feedback for us to hear. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced and I only hope it will not deter you from staying with us again and to that end please do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can make the necessary arrangements.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Waterloo, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of our anniversarry trip to Ireland. The Merrion was so lovely! Rooms and facilities were as described on their website, but it was all the small details that made this place amazing. Nicest room I've ever had in Europe, with a wonderful bathroom with shower and a tub. We had one breakfast at the hotel restaurant and some drinks at the Cellar Bar - both were great.
Right after we checked in,the hotel sent up a tasty chocolate mousse as an anniversarry treat - yum!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JobecWaterloo_ON
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team and facilities here at The Merrion. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you and your husband did particularly on the occasion of your Anniversary which we were delighted to commemorate!

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We chose the Merrion as it was the number 1 rated Hotel in Dudlin, it was our first stop over for our six week holiday so we were looking forward to getting over our Jet Lag before we started our
Ireland bus tour. Upon check in we were told that they had upgraded us to one if the suites in the main house junior suite we thought ok this is nice once we get into the hallways the young receptionist tells us that they have just painted the hallways however the paint smell should not affect us in our room I did not give it another thought when we first went into the room as we were both quite tired after just having flown 30 hours to get there when the porter came with our luggage
The smell was very strong in the room we rang reception and asked to be moved that dis happen and we moved to a garden room 1st floor small but nice. We did go back at the end of our bus trip and stayed in the main house Merrion suite beautiful great end to our Ireland holiday
Did not want to leave

Room Tip: Have a look at the room before settling in
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth W
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

While I am sorry that the painting work affected you initially I am very pleased that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay and did not want to leave. I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you had a comfortable journey home to Australia.

Bristol UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

In Dublin, travelling as a couple enroute to a family wedding (held round the corner at the Shelborne). Just the ticket as far as we were concerned. If you want flash/bling, this is not the place. Just about everything exudes understatement, which in no way detracts from the efficient & helpful front desk, spotless room (we had an inside one, overlooking the gardens), bright public rooms, very adequate breakfast area & well sited/lit indoor pool.

If we had to nit pick - The room towels/robe were more budget quality than is necessary. Service at Breakfast was variable.

Overall : Not cheap but worth the splurge. Assuming the money is there, The Merrion will be my Dublin residence for future visits.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are probably quieter than Main street (Der)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank djaym
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review posted recently.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. Thank you for the feedback about your experience in the Cellar Restaurant at breakfast and about the bathrobes which I have taken onboard fully.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

My boyfriend had booked a night for us in the merrion for a birthday treat. From start to finish it was amazing! The staff were so friendly, the food was fab and the room gorgeous! Cannot recommend this hotel enough and encourage anyone wanting to stay in luxury to stay here.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Larah44
Dear Guest,

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your boyfriend back again and you have more time to relax and spend more time with us!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here as part of a six day tour through Ireland. We came away rating our experience as a "top twenty" urban hotels in the world" based on our travels of fourty years. Don't let the plain façade fool you; much awaits you inside. A classically decorated hotel with warm and friendly service, outstanding food, several dining choices and a terrific restaurant in the stone vaulted basement floor. Outside service in a couple of spots in the inner, private garden and reflecting pool is a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of the city. The Merrion is ideally located central to many sites; Guiness Brewery, Jamieson's Distillery, Christ Church, and many others. You cant lose betting on this property.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion and for your feedback.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all the team here who join me in thanking you. We are all genuinely delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and I am also pleased that we were able to contribute in someway to the overall enjoyment of your trip.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

What a great location in Dublin. Close to everything but very peaceful. Beautiful drawing rooms to relax, admire the art, have afternoon tea, snack or cocktail. Lovely rooms with understated elegant decor. Staff was helpful when needed and very friendly. Breakfast in The Cellar restarant was very good. Nice buffet, really no need to order a full breakfast unless that is your thing. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone staying in Dublin.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dhill100
Dear Guest,

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with the entire team here. I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.