“The only choice for staying in the Irish capital.”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Chicago, Illinois
“The only choice for staying in the Irish capital.”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I am usually not a big fan of independent smaller hotels but must say The Merrion hits all the right notes.

Location wise you could not ask for better when in Dublin in a word "Unbeatable" situated right across from the grand and stately Parliament building with Merrion Square (great running paths), National Gallery, National Museum, Trinity college and the Grafton Street shopping district all within a few minutes’ walk from the hotel.

Stayed in a Junior suite in the main house and it was exquisitely furnished and appointed opulent being the only adjective to truly describe the overall feel and flow with the highlight being the sumptuous bathroom with separate bath and shower and all the extras, cosy bathrobes and bespoke Irish toiletries.

The public areas with log fires wonderful Irish fabrics and antiques and French windows offering nice views and access to the gardens are wonderful. With the most impressive aspect being the hotels private collection of exquisite art on site. Creating the atmosphere as if you are staying in one of Europe's great art galleries fitted to serve as a hotel.

The service, is exactly as one would expect, attentive and top-notch quiet and unobtrusive throughout the hotel from the excellent concierge in the lobby to turn-down service in the suites.

In hotel dining options match the standards of the hotel I ate at Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud (see my separate review), the only 2 starred Michelin restaurant in Ireland is on site. Breakfast is especially noteworthy with freshly baked goods, to superior buffet items to tempting breakfast items cooked to order.

To sum it up The Merrion is classy, elegant, and should be the accommodation of choice for any traveler when staying in the Irish capital.

I know it will be mine in all my future trips to Dublin.

Room Tip: One of the few hotels in the world where you should get out of your room and spend some time in the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SEBESZ
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us in such detail.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I was delighted to read that you had time to avail of the facilities here at the Hotel and that you enjoyed them so much.

We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you will have another memorable and relaxing stay with us. Thank you again for your kind words.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Business trips to Dublin have taken me to some pretty grim places. I finally decided to bite the bullet and book the Merrion. Booked a standard garden room street facing and could not have been happier. From the moment the taxi door was opened, to the point three days later when my departing taxi door was shut my experience was fantastic. There is complete consistency of staff, from reception, bar and waiting staff, to room service and those you pass in the corridors, they are all a delight. I loved the art collection....in fact whats not to love....bite the bullet and pay the extra euros to stay here, you will not regret it. Have no idea what those who reviewed poorly were on??? Thank you all, I will certainly be back. Would have been full points only the shower wall and grouting in particular could have done with closer attention.

Room Tip: I don't know if I got lucky but stayed I a standard garden room street facing, no noise from the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TerryMack
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your wonderful comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel and I have shared them with all my colleagues. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a stay as much as you did and I am glad you felt so warmly welcomed and that you plan on returning soon. Thank you also for your feedback about the tiling in your shower which I have asked our Maintenance Team to follow up on.

We look forward to the occasion when you next stay and we hope that your visit then will be as memorable as this one.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The Merrion, simply the best.

Staff , friendly and well trained.

A hotel of real class and elegance combined with old school charm, and character.
Bedrooms are beautifully appointed , with a breakfast worth getting up early for.
Stay at this hotel, it will not disappoint.

Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to stay and also enjoy our breakfast offering in The Cellar Restaurant.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were at the Merrion at the end of August this year. It had everything a hotel should have -- friendly people, great service, beautiful inside and out, and a great location. The interior was very nicely decorated, both in the rooms and the public areas. They have a wonderland breakfast in their Cellar restaurant.

No review of this hotel would be complete without mentioning the Art Tea. They have a beautiful tea service in the afternoon with sweet and savory items, all wonderful. Then for dessert (who knew there was dessert after tea?) they bring out three magnificent pastries. Each pastry is inspired by a piece of art in the hotel. It was amazing.

We had booked a regular room. We were upgraded to an amazing suite with a master bath. The suite had a very comfortable living room and a half bath. And there was a small for my son (15) to sleep on a rollaway bed.

Traveled with friends AND family. The site won't let me pick more than one category below.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dante709
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your stay with us last August and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and your visits to our Cellar Restaurant and Drawing Rooms.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We've been all over the world, and have to say this place has it all! From its central location to the friendliest nicest staff we ever experienced, this place cannot be beat. They deserve each of their five stars, and we'll def stay there any time we are in Dublin.
The rooms are lovely, large, and super quiet (a big bonus, considering you're right in the midst of everything). The breakfast was astonishingly great. And the entire staff deserves a "niceness" award...there wasn't a thing they wouldn't do for their guests (and they often went above-and-beyond). You just can't go wrong here...so just go!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maris1_31
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Both my colleagues and I found your kind words extremely encouraging, they speak for themselves really.

Thank you again and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Dublin
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I recently got the most amazing spa treatment in Tethra Spa in the Merrion Hotel. It was the first time I've had a hot stones massage and I will most definitely be getting one again. I felt so relaxed and rejuvenated after the treatment. My therapist, Laura really tailored the massage to my needs and even spent time with me afterwards explaining the benefits of the hot stones and giving me tips and advice on my skin routine, various products, etc. I couldn't recommend this spa highly enough!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Maura C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent treatment in our Tethra Spa.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and both Laura and I were delighted to read how much you enjoyed your experience.

I am glad that you left feeling relaxed and rejuvenated and I only hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We only stayed for one night but the hotel has a wonderful ambience with extremely professional and helpful staff.

While it is pricey I still think it offers good value for money compared to other hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jamie P
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.