“Elegant in Dublin”

Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Elegant in Dublin”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Very elegant hotel - it's easy to miss if you're driving past/ unfamiliar with the area. The location is excellent, with the National Gallery (lovely!) and National Museum within a 10 minute walk. Trinity College on one side (do see the Book of Kells through a guided tour by a young student and visit the Buttery Cafe after, for a quick cup of tea and a bite), and the swish Grafton Street area are also within a 10-minute walk each.

Absolutely top-notch staff - Daniel on the Concierge desk and Mhairi at Reception are of particular note. Our room faced the beautiful garden, and was very comfortable. The staff is happy to advise you on travel, day-trips etc and will make all the arrangements. We were pointed towards excellent running trails, with maps to navigate the neighbourhood.

The Merrion has a notable art collection in case you don't have time for the National Gallery; two paintings by Jack B. Yeats (brother of W.B.) greet you in the foyer as soon as you enter the hotel. An enormous basket filled with logs sits just by to feed the fire which is indeed a welcome sight when you step in out of the cold. There are log fires in the very elegant drawing rooms too which obviously people could not resist while we were there. Personally, I loved the charcoal braziers outside next to the gardens where you could sit with a drink. Or two.

Didn't care for the breakfast, though it could be that I got there within 10 minutes of closing time. Which might explain the cheerful note from the manager advising patrons to enjoy an early breakfast the following day ! Staff at the Spa were helpful and that's what earns this hotel top marks from me: stellar staff.

1 Thank happyhoopoe
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion and for your feedback.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all the team here who join me in thanking you; we are all genuinely delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Crosshaven, Ireland
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We first started staying at The Merrion shortly after it opened and it remains out favourite hotel to visit when we want comfort, service, relaxation and class. Just superb in every way. Fab location, peaceful, almost hidden but right in the heart of Dublin. The staff are excellent, and indeed there are even a few left who remember us from the early days! In some ways, I loath writing a great review in order to keep the place a hidden secret, but then they deserve all the best!

Room Tip: Pay the extra few quid for a main house room.
2 Thank Mark M
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I am usually not a big fan of independent smaller hotels but must say The Merrion hits all the right notes.

Location wise you could not ask for better when in Dublin in a word "Unbeatable" situated right across from the grand and stately Parliament building with Merrion Square (great running paths), National Gallery, National Museum, Trinity college and the Grafton Street shopping district all within a few minutes’ walk from the hotel.

Stayed in a Junior suite in the main house and it was exquisitely furnished and appointed opulent being the only adjective to truly describe the overall feel and flow with the highlight being the sumptuous bathroom with separate bath and shower and all the extras, cosy bathrobes and bespoke Irish toiletries.

The public areas with log fires wonderful Irish fabrics and antiques and French windows offering nice views and access to the gardens are wonderful. With the most impressive aspect being the hotels private collection of exquisite art on site. Creating the atmosphere as if you are staying in one of Europe's great art galleries fitted to serve as a hotel.

The service, is exactly as one would expect, attentive and top-notch quiet and unobtrusive throughout the hotel from the excellent concierge in the lobby to turn-down service in the suites.

In hotel dining options match the standards of the hotel I ate at Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud (see my separate review), the only 2 starred Michelin restaurant in Ireland is on site. Breakfast is especially noteworthy with freshly baked goods, to superior buffet items to tempting breakfast items cooked to order.

To sum it up The Merrion is classy, elegant, and should be the accommodation of choice for any traveler when staying in the Irish capital.

I know it will be mine in all my future trips to Dublin.

Room Tip: One of the few hotels in the world where you should get out of your room and spend some time in the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SEBESZ
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us in such detail.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I was delighted to read that you had time to avail of the facilities here at the Hotel and that you enjoyed them so much.

We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you will have another memorable and relaxing stay with us. Thank you again for your kind words.

London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Business trips to Dublin have taken me to some pretty grim places. I finally decided to bite the bullet and book the Merrion. Booked a standard garden room street facing and could not have been happier. From the moment the taxi door was opened, to the point three days later when my departing taxi door was shut my experience was fantastic. There is complete consistency of staff, from reception, bar and waiting staff, to room service and those you pass in the corridors, they are all a delight. I loved the art collection....in fact whats not to love....bite the bullet and pay the extra euros to stay here, you will not regret it. Have no idea what those who reviewed poorly were on??? Thank you all, I will certainly be back. Would have been full points only the shower wall and grouting in particular could have done with closer attention.

Room Tip: I don't know if I got lucky but stayed I a standard garden room street facing, no noise from the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TerryMack
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your wonderful comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel and I have shared them with all my colleagues. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a stay as much as you did and I am glad you felt so warmly welcomed and that you plan on returning soon. Thank you also for your feedback about the tiling in your shower which I have asked our Maintenance Team to follow up on.

We look forward to the occasion when you next stay and we hope that your visit then will be as memorable as this one.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The Merrion, simply the best.

Staff , friendly and well trained.

A hotel of real class and elegance combined with old school charm, and character.
Bedrooms are beautifully appointed , with a breakfast worth getting up early for.
Stay at this hotel, it will not disappoint.

Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to stay and also enjoy our breakfast offering in The Cellar Restaurant.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were at the Merrion at the end of August this year. It had everything a hotel should have -- friendly people, great service, beautiful inside and out, and a great location. The interior was very nicely decorated, both in the rooms and the public areas. They have a wonderland breakfast in their Cellar restaurant.

No review of this hotel would be complete without mentioning the Art Tea. They have a beautiful tea service in the afternoon with sweet and savory items, all wonderful. Then for dessert (who knew there was dessert after tea?) they bring out three magnificent pastries. Each pastry is inspired by a piece of art in the hotel. It was amazing.

We had booked a regular room. We were upgraded to an amazing suite with a master bath. The suite had a very comfortable living room and a half bath. And there was a small for my son (15) to sleep on a rollaway bed.

Traveled with friends AND family. The site won't let me pick more than one category below.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dante709
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your stay with us last August and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and your visits to our Cellar Restaurant and Drawing Rooms.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We've been all over the world, and have to say this place has it all! From its central location to the friendliest nicest staff we ever experienced, this place cannot be beat. They deserve each of their five stars, and we'll def stay there any time we are in Dublin.
The rooms are lovely, large, and super quiet (a big bonus, considering you're right in the midst of everything). The breakfast was astonishingly great. And the entire staff deserves a "niceness" award...there wasn't a thing they wouldn't do for their guests (and they often went above-and-beyond). You just can't go wrong here...so just go!

2 Thank Maris1_31
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Both my colleagues and I found your kind words extremely encouraging, they speak for themselves really.

Thank you again and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.