“Luxury executed” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Luxury executed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

On our second of three nights at the Merrion. My wife and I love it. Went to dinner at Patrick Guildaud (awesome in its own right) at 9:00 and turn down service still came; returned from dinner with a full ice box and water slippers, etc all set. Great location in upscale area with plenty of bars and shopping nearby. Highly recommend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arthur A
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently following you and your wife’s stay with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted you both enjoyed your stay.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
ARMAGH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

My Wife , 6month old daughter and myself stayed at the Merrion Hotel recently and received the most hospitable of welcomes. Everything was taken care of with great efficiency and decorum upon arrival and the amenities and the room were very impressive and sumptuous. The icing on the cake was the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. All in all, a most enjoyable experience and wish to bring my family again. Top class hotel with hard working, friendly and very hospitable staff attending to any request with style and competence. Brilliant stay. I cant praise it enough. Look forward to staying again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank caesar75
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great boost. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Thank you again for your encouraging words.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Very elegant hotel - it's easy to miss if you're driving past/ unfamiliar with the area. The location is excellent, with the National Gallery (lovely!) and National Museum within a 10 minute walk. Trinity College on one side (do see the Book of Kells through a guided tour by a young student and visit the Buttery Cafe after, for a quick cup of tea and a bite), and the swish Grafton Street area are also within a 10-minute walk each.

Absolutely top-notch staff - Daniel on the Concierge desk and Mhairi at Reception are of particular note. Our room faced the beautiful garden, and was very comfortable. The staff is happy to advise you on travel, day-trips etc and will make all the arrangements. We were pointed towards excellent running trails, with maps to navigate the neighbourhood.

The Merrion has a notable art collection in case you don't have time for the National Gallery; two paintings by Jack B. Yeats (brother of W.B.) greet you in the foyer as soon as you enter the hotel. An enormous basket filled with logs sits just by to feed the fire which is indeed a welcome sight when you step in out of the cold. There are log fires in the very elegant drawing rooms too which obviously people could not resist while we were there. Personally, I loved the charcoal braziers outside next to the gardens where you could sit with a drink. Or two.

Didn't care for the breakfast, though it could be that I got there within 10 minutes of closing time. Which might explain the cheerful note from the manager advising patrons to enjoy an early breakfast the following day ! Staff at the Spa were helpful and that's what earns this hotel top marks from me: stellar staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happyhoopoe
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion and for your feedback.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all the team here who join me in thanking you; we are all genuinely delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

Crosshaven, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We first started staying at The Merrion shortly after it opened and it remains out favourite hotel to visit when we want comfort, service, relaxation and class. Just superb in every way. Fab location, peaceful, almost hidden but right in the heart of Dublin. The staff are excellent, and indeed there are even a few left who remember us from the early days! In some ways, I loath writing a great review in order to keep the place a hidden secret, but then they deserve all the best!

Room Tip: Pay the extra few quid for a main house room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark M
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I am usually not a big fan of independent smaller hotels but must say The Merrion hits all the right notes.

Location wise you could not ask for better when in Dublin in a word "Unbeatable" situated right across from the grand and stately Parliament building with Merrion Square (great running paths), National Gallery, National Museum, Trinity college and the Grafton Street shopping district all within a few minutes’ walk from the hotel.

Stayed in a Junior suite in the main house and it was exquisitely furnished and appointed opulent being the only adjective to truly describe the overall feel and flow with the highlight being the sumptuous bathroom with separate bath and shower and all the extras, cosy bathrobes and bespoke Irish toiletries.

The public areas with log fires wonderful Irish fabrics and antiques and French windows offering nice views and access to the gardens are wonderful. With the most impressive aspect being the hotels private collection of exquisite art on site. Creating the atmosphere as if you are staying in one of Europe's great art galleries fitted to serve as a hotel.

The service, is exactly as one would expect, attentive and top-notch quiet and unobtrusive throughout the hotel from the excellent concierge in the lobby to turn-down service in the suites.

In hotel dining options match the standards of the hotel I ate at Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud (see my separate review), the only 2 starred Michelin restaurant in Ireland is on site. Breakfast is especially noteworthy with freshly baked goods, to superior buffet items to tempting breakfast items cooked to order.

To sum it up The Merrion is classy, elegant, and should be the accommodation of choice for any traveler when staying in the Irish capital.

I know it will be mine in all my future trips to Dublin.

Room Tip: One of the few hotels in the world where you should get out of your room and spend some time in the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SEBESZ
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us in such detail.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I was delighted to read that you had time to avail of the facilities here at the Hotel and that you enjoyed them so much.

We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you will have another memorable and relaxing stay with us. Thank you again for your kind words.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Business trips to Dublin have taken me to some pretty grim places. I finally decided to bite the bullet and book the Merrion. Booked a standard garden room street facing and could not have been happier. From the moment the taxi door was opened, to the point three days later when my departing taxi door was shut my experience was fantastic. There is complete consistency of staff, from reception, bar and waiting staff, to room service and those you pass in the corridors, they are all a delight. I loved the art collection....in fact whats not to love....bite the bullet and pay the extra euros to stay here, you will not regret it. Have no idea what those who reviewed poorly were on??? Thank you all, I will certainly be back. Would have been full points only the shower wall and grouting in particular could have done with closer attention.

Room Tip: I don't know if I got lucky but stayed I a standard garden room street facing, no noise from the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TerryMack
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your wonderful comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel and I have shared them with all my colleagues. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a stay as much as you did and I am glad you felt so warmly welcomed and that you plan on returning soon. Thank you also for your feedback about the tiling in your shower which I have asked our Maintenance Team to follow up on.

We look forward to the occasion when you next stay and we hope that your visit then will be as memorable as this one.

Thanks again for your kind words.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The Merrion, simply the best.

Staff , friendly and well trained.

A hotel of real class and elegance combined with old school charm, and character.
Bedrooms are beautifully appointed , with a breakfast worth getting up early for.
Stay at this hotel, it will not disappoint.

Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to stay and also enjoy our breakfast offering in The Cellar Restaurant.