“Comfortable Luxury for a Nice Price”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We would not have chosen the Merrion except for a winter deal offered on their website. We have stayed in 4-star hotels, but for this trip we were traveling lighter. Our room was very comfortable with plenty of space to relax and get through our jet lag. Our room overlooked an alley - but we weren't in our room much during the short days of winter. The free wifi was unexpected. We had an overpriced breakfast that we didn't repeat during our 4 night stay. We had a nice dinner followed by drinks in the bar on our last night - this experience was a much better value. The staff couldn't have been nicer, the location was fantastic and we had no street noise. I only made it to the gym once, but the facilities were more than adequate. We would return - knowing that we would have a reliable experience without the gotchas normally associated with luxury hotels.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BallGrl
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Mac Cann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,483)

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had a delightful 5 night stay at the Merrion this December. It is expensive for a vacation but we felt the location, ambiance and outstanding service was worth the cost. Prior to our trip, we had a number of email communications with the concierge team who were very helpful in making restaurant and tour reservations for us in advance. During our stay, we continued to rely on the staff for additional recommendations for activities and restaurant choices and their advice and help was outstanding. They clearly made us feel like our trip was their top priority and we never felt like we were competing with other guests for their attention.

I also have to mention that our dinner in the Cellar and afternoon tea in our room was delicious and again featured great service. In fact, every single person we dealt with from housekeeping to bellboys to desk staff was friendly, caring and professional.

We walked everywhere on our trip to Dublin and found this hotel was well situated for walking excursions.

Overall, we recognize that the Merrion is by no means a budget conscious choice for a hotel but we felt the experience was well worth the price and we would stay there again without any hesitation.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PatCT202
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the online review of the hotel after your recent stay.

It goes without saying that we were genuinely delighted to read all the nice things you said about it.

Perhaps we will have the privilege of welcoming you back in the not too distant future and with that in mind, if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In the meantime and once again, thank you very much and I hope you have a great Christmas.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed at The Merrion for 4 nights in November and had a wonderful time.
All member of staff were very attentive and friendly, especially Sarah from room service who took such great care of me! When she heard on the phone I had a cold: she brought me some cloves and honey, a delightful person!
As I was alone on business I used room service a lot, food was excellent and delivered in a very timely manner.
Had dinner at the bar once also which was perfect.
Our meeting rooms was very cosy and our breaks were just delightful.
I really hope that my company will send me again to the Merrion.
And also a wonderful location and very knowledgeable Concierge and super friendly bell boys!
Thank you!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TitAnnick2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you in particular for all your kind comments, not least for room service and we all hope that your cold has improved.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back at some point in the not too distant future. In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Once again, many thanks.

Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for two nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The hotel was wonderful with warm friendly staff which made our weekend very special. The NO23 bar is excellent with a extensive choice of drinks. The location of the hotel is perfect for shopping and eating out.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nina L

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post an online review after your recent stay.

I was delighted to read how much you and your husband enjoyed your anniversary celebrations here and hope that we will have the privilege of having you celebrate many more.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Having read all the reviews I was expecting something special along the lines of Dromolond or the Cliff House etc.
To summarise it is just a standard hotel with alot if pomp.
Rooms are very plain, disappointingly so.
Hotel staff are good.
Bar staff are not, to the point of being rude and incompetent.

In summary it is in no way a special destination and I could only recommend it as a typical over night hotel from my experience.

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank petermulv

Dear Guest

I was very sorry to read how disappointed you were with the hotel. I was pleased to read that the hotel staff were good but concerned to read that parts of it were not. If there are further details you would like to share with me, I would be delighted to hear from you and I can be contacted directly at the hotel at generalmanager@merrionhotel.com

I hope the experience will not deter you from revisiting us in the future and I hope that you have a happy and peaceful Christmas.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Really enjoyed my short stay at the Merrion. The hotel is classy and comfortable and is well located. The hotel is very clean and quiet and seems a popular spot for morning or tea-time business meetings. The staff was very courteous and professional. My room was really clean, quiet and comfortable and the hotel gardens are beautiful. It caters to the business traveler and somewhat of an older clientele. Everything about my stay was top notch and I will try to stay here again on my next visit to Dublin.

Room Tip: It's worth asking for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sebibond1

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the review after your recent stay.

Thank you also for all the very kind comments therein.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are travelling back this way, as we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I just had my 3rd stayed at this fantastic hotel during the last years. It is a " must "to stay there if you have tried it once. Superb service, always smiling staff, nice rooms, great morning swimming in the pool and enjoyable and luxurious treatments in the spa. And of course the Afternoon Tea in front of the open fire. This time we had not booked before arrival and could not get a table during our 3 days stay. It was because Christmas coming up. So remember to book your Afternoon tea, a " must " as well. Looking forward to the next stay at The Merrion Hotel, we will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read that it was your third time to stay with and all your kind comments about my colleagues are greatly appreciated.

I am sorry that we could not get a table for you for afternoon tea when you were here. We will do our best to ensure that that does not happen again.

We hope to welcome you back soon and in the meantime have a great Christmas.