“The Merrion has a nice homely gesture for such a grand five star hotel. It deserves its No 1 Hotel in Dublin rating”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
dublin
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Thank you to the lovely Merrion Hotel for their kindness to my teenage niece Maeve. As art lovers, we had treated ourselves to coffee there. This was to take the chance to view the Merrion’s hugely impressive 19th and 20th Century Irish art collection. On hearing it was my niece’s 16th birthday, the pleasant manageress treated her to a free hot chocolate. She was chuffed with this. It was a nice homely gesture for such a grand five star hotel. For its combination of warmth and style, I feel it deserves its No 1 Hotel in Dublin rating

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank artdoglover
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following you and your niece’s visit to our Drawing Rooms.

I was delighted to read how much both you and Maeve enjoyed our art collection and that we were able to commemorate her birthday with a cup of hot chocolate! Please pass on my belated best wishes to her also.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you both back again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We would not have chosen the Merrion except for a winter deal offered on their website. We have stayed in 4-star hotels, but for this trip we were traveling lighter. Our room was very comfortable with plenty of space to relax and get through our jet lag. Our room overlooked an alley - but we weren't in our room much during the short days of winter. The free wifi was unexpected. We had an overpriced breakfast that we didn't repeat during our 4 night stay. We had a nice dinner followed by drinks in the bar on our last night - this experience was a much better value. The staff couldn't have been nicer, the location was fantastic and we had no street noise. I only made it to the gym once, but the facilities were more than adequate. We would return - knowing that we would have a reliable experience without the gotchas normally associated with luxury hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BallGrl
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Mac Cann
Granville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

We had a delightful 5 night stay at the Merrion this December. It is expensive for a vacation but we felt the location, ambiance and outstanding service was worth the cost. Prior to our trip, we had a number of email communications with the concierge team who were very helpful in making restaurant and tour reservations for us in advance. During our stay, we continued to rely on the staff for additional recommendations for activities and restaurant choices and their advice and help was outstanding. They clearly made us feel like our trip was their top priority and we never felt like we were competing with other guests for their attention.

I also have to mention that our dinner in the Cellar and afternoon tea in our room was delicious and again featured great service. In fact, every single person we dealt with from housekeeping to bellboys to desk staff was friendly, caring and professional.

We walked everywhere on our trip to Dublin and found this hotel was well situated for walking excursions.

Overall, we recognize that the Merrion is by no means a budget conscious choice for a hotel but we felt the experience was well worth the price and we would stay there again without any hesitation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PatCT202
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the online review of the hotel after your recent stay.

It goes without saying that we were genuinely delighted to read all the nice things you said about it.

Perhaps we will have the privilege of welcoming you back in the not too distant future and with that in mind, if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In the meantime and once again, thank you very much and I hope you have a great Christmas.

Biarritz, France
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed at The Merrion for 4 nights in November and had a wonderful time.
All member of staff were very attentive and friendly, especially Sarah from room service who took such great care of me! When she heard on the phone I had a cold: she brought me some cloves and honey, a delightful person!
As I was alone on business I used room service a lot, food was excellent and delivered in a very timely manner.
Had dinner at the bar once also which was perfect.
Our meeting rooms was very cosy and our breaks were just delightful.
I really hope that my company will send me again to the Merrion.
And also a wonderful location and very knowledgeable Concierge and super friendly bell boys!
Thank you!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TitAnnick2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you in particular for all your kind comments, not least for room service and we all hope that your cold has improved.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back at some point in the not too distant future. In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Once again, many thanks.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for two nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The hotel was wonderful with warm friendly staff which made our weekend very special. The NO23 bar is excellent with a extensive choice of drinks. The location of the hotel is perfect for shopping and eating out.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nina L
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post an online review after your recent stay.

I was delighted to read how much you and your husband enjoyed your anniversary celebrations here and hope that we will have the privilege of having you celebrate many more.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Having read all the reviews I was expecting something special along the lines of Dromolond or the Cliff House etc.
To summarise it is just a standard hotel with alot if pomp.
Rooms are very plain, disappointingly so.
Hotel staff are good.
Bar staff are not, to the point of being rude and incompetent.

In summary it is in no way a special destination and I could only recommend it as a typical over night hotel from my experience.

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank petermulv
Dear Guest

I was very sorry to read how disappointed you were with the hotel. I was pleased to read that the hotel staff were good but concerned to read that parts of it were not. If there are further details you would like to share with me, I would be delighted to hear from you and I can be contacted directly at the hotel at generalmanager@merrionhotel.com

I hope the experience will not deter you from revisiting us in the future and I hope that you have a happy and peaceful Christmas.

NYC
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Really enjoyed my short stay at the Merrion. The hotel is classy and comfortable and is well located. The hotel is very clean and quiet and seems a popular spot for morning or tea-time business meetings. The staff was very courteous and professional. My room was really clean, quiet and comfortable and the hotel gardens are beautiful. It caters to the business traveler and somewhat of an older clientele. Everything about my stay was top notch and I will try to stay here again on my next visit to Dublin.

Room Tip: It's worth asking for a room overlooking the gardens.