“Nice Experience but...”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Did not completely meet our expectations..

on arrival, escorted to our room which was very spacious, clean and comfortable, we were then given a "brief" overview of the hotel facilites. unfortunately, this was rushed and we were left still unsure re the restaurant / pool opening times etc etc

service, overall very good but not 100% (slow on busy periods in restaraunt) not good when you are dining with young children!

staff (in all areas), extremely helpful and polite

location, great for grafton street etc

would definately stay here again !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sunnydays24
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest,

While I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay, I am disappointed that you felt rushed upon being shown to your room as that was not our intention. Thank you for letting me know and I will follow up with our Front of House Team.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our short stay and would stay here again next visit! The rooms were comfortable and the staff most helpful. We loved the art collection on display. The location was ideal for us, and we were able to walk to all the points of interest.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently following your stay with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and perusing our art collection.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The staff is fabulous, not just warm and welcoming but a bit of old Ireland. Of course, what do I know, I'm a New Yorker originally from California. And the Hotel is first rate. The rooms are luxurious and clean with intelligent furniture that facilitates the tea service..available right in the rooms. There were freshly baked cookies delivered to the room daily for that tea. Terrific.
And the teenagers in our party loved the luxury and High Tea (a bit pricey). Dinner in the cellar restaurant was great. Extraordinary desserts. Great Stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay especially our Art Afternoon Tea and desserts. Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great boost. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Thank you again for your encouraging words.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Merrion is my favourite hotel ever, I do travel a lot and have experienced a lot of different hotels but none compare to the Merrion. I like this hotel so much I decided to get engaged there, the friendliness and warmth of the staff is second to none. Any time I'm in Dublin I go into number 23 for a drink, for me it's more like a living room than a hotel, the staff always make you feel so welcome. I had the pleasure of having afternoon tea today and again I felt so at home in the Merrion everything was superb and Michael's service in front of the fire was spectacular, a little hiccup with the bill when I said the Afternoon tea was prepaid I was told it wasn't, rather than the waitress saying I'll check, after a quick discussion the matter was resolved adequately.
My engagement anniversary is coming up and of course I chose the Merrion, I can't wait until February to be back there, the reservation staff were so helpful in ensuring I got the same room as before which had such sentimental value to my partner.
I hope to stay in the Merrion three times next year and I know all will be as exceptional as my first!

Room Tip: If you can get a room in the Main house.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom99611139

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your recent stay with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; we are genuinely honoured that you chose The Merrion for your engagement. I have passed on your very kind words to Michael who was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to The Merrion in February and do let us know if we can be of any assistance in advance.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Thank you to the lovely Merrion Hotel for their kindness to my teenage niece Maeve. As art lovers, we had treated ourselves to coffee there. This was to take the chance to view the Merrion’s hugely impressive 19th and 20th Century Irish art collection. On hearing it was my niece’s 16th birthday, the pleasant manageress treated her to a free hot chocolate. She was chuffed with this. It was a nice homely gesture for such a grand five star hotel. For its combination of warmth and style, I feel it deserves its No 1 Hotel in Dublin rating

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank artdoglover

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following you and your niece’s visit to our Drawing Rooms.

I was delighted to read how much both you and Maeve enjoyed our art collection and that we were able to commemorate her birthday with a cup of hot chocolate! Please pass on my belated best wishes to her also.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you both back again soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We would not have chosen the Merrion except for a winter deal offered on their website. We have stayed in 4-star hotels, but for this trip we were traveling lighter. Our room was very comfortable with plenty of space to relax and get through our jet lag. Our room overlooked an alley - but we weren't in our room much during the short days of winter. The free wifi was unexpected. We had an overpriced breakfast that we didn't repeat during our 4 night stay. We had a nice dinner followed by drinks in the bar on our last night - this experience was a much better value. The staff couldn't have been nicer, the location was fantastic and we had no street noise. I only made it to the gym once, but the facilities were more than adequate. We would return - knowing that we would have a reliable experience without the gotchas normally associated with luxury hotels.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BallGrl

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had a delightful 5 night stay at the Merrion this December. It is expensive for a vacation but we felt the location, ambiance and outstanding service was worth the cost. Prior to our trip, we had a number of email communications with the concierge team who were very helpful in making restaurant and tour reservations for us in advance. During our stay, we continued to rely on the staff for additional recommendations for activities and restaurant choices and their advice and help was outstanding. They clearly made us feel like our trip was their top priority and we never felt like we were competing with other guests for their attention.

I also have to mention that our dinner in the Cellar and afternoon tea in our room was delicious and again featured great service. In fact, every single person we dealt with from housekeeping to bellboys to desk staff was friendly, caring and professional.

We walked everywhere on our trip to Dublin and found this hotel was well situated for walking excursions.

Overall, we recognize that the Merrion is by no means a budget conscious choice for a hotel but we felt the experience was well worth the price and we would stay there again without any hesitation.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PatCT202
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the online review of the hotel after your recent stay.

It goes without saying that we were genuinely delighted to read all the nice things you said about it.

Perhaps we will have the privilege of welcoming you back in the not too distant future and with that in mind, if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In the meantime and once again, thank you very much and I hope you have a great Christmas.

Kind regards,