“One of the Best Hotels Ever”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at the Merrion over the week of New Years. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. The bell staff and front desk employees were as kind and accommodating as possible. The hotel itself is inviting, and has so much to offer. From seating areas for a quick bite or pint, to high tea (so much fun - try it at least once!), two pubs and one really good restaurant. My wife remarked that she could just move in. The full breakfast was one of the best ever. The rooms are a bit small, but the bathroom was large and luxurious. The hotel amenities are excellent. The concierge Clare, was amazing. If you go to Dublin, stay at this hotel. I will be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the absolutely wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I am also appreciative of your particularly nice feedback about Clare in Concierge which I can assure you she was delighted to hear about!

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Merrion Hotel

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My partner and I stayed in the Merrion Hotel over Christmas. Despite living within walking distance of the hotel, we decided to stay in The Merrion as a way to get away and spend some quality time together. We were treated fantastically by the staff, who are incredibly skilled in their roles. The hotel is beautiful and situated in the heart of Georgian Dublin. We also had a delicious Christmas Day 5 course lunch in the Cellar Restaurant and awaiting in our room (Superior King) was a welcome basket and bottle of champagne. We spent the evening in the imposing residents lounge in front of an open log fire drinking mulled wine and eating mince pies. We were treated extremely well at all times by the staff and we really felt accommodated for. The room was adequately equipped with everything one would need for a comfortable stay. Our room was overlooking the well maintained garden and while we were walking off our Christmas lunch our room was tidied and the bed made. We have since returned to the Merrion's Cellar Bar and will continue to do so. The breakfast was delicious and there is a plentiful selection of fruits, cheeses and pastries etc and we also had a traditional Irish breakfast (the potato bread was probably the best I ever had!). If you stay in the Merrion, make time to see the amazing art on display. If i remember correctly, there is a guide to the artwork in every room. I would suggest including information on the history of the hotel and building. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a luxury break, attentive staff and historic surroundings.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay with us which I was delighted to read and we were honoured that yourself and your partner chose to spend Christmas with us.

Thank you for your warm and positive feedback which I have shared with all the team here. It is extremely heartening to read your words of praise for my colleagues as each and every one of them strive to provide a memorable experience for our guests.I was so glad to read that you enjoyed our Drawing Rooms with the open fires and all other aspects of the hotel including the Cellar Restaurant & Bar.

We do hope that we will have the privilege of welcoming you and your partner back to the Merrion in the near future.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Me and my husband recently visited the hotel for the first time and it sure wont be the last. From the minute we arrived til we left we were looked after in the best possible way. Staff were so helpful and service was so good. The only thing I can complain about was that at breakfast the cellar restaurant hadn't been cleaned properly from dinner the night before as there was broccoli on the floor around the table we sat at, but that was just a minor thing. Will save up to return as soon as I can. We had booked the five star steal deal and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel along with your constructive feedback with regards to the Cellar Restaurant which I have spoken to our Restaurant Manager about, please accept our collective apologies. I have shared your other words of praise for my colleagues with them and they are of course delighted that you appreciated their attentive care so much.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again and that your visit then will be as memorable as the last.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Travelled to The Merrion on business in December 2013 and stayed for 3 nights. The service starts at the front door with the doorman who is polite and helpful. The checking in process was quick and effortless and lack any sort of fuss. The rooms were of a good size, very clean and well appointed and all the staff that work in the hotel are helpful and efficient. Location for business of pleasure is very good and a simple transfer from the airport. This is a fantastic place to stay in Dublin and would heartily recommend anyone staying here. I look forward to returning again later this year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank UlaanBatoor46

Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and also that our location was to your liking.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here for a night in December and were upgraded to a suite in the main building that was beautiful. After eating at the Patrick Guilbaud restaurant we went to explore this elegant hotel. The staff were very helpful and polite in all areas and the staff in the breakfast room were superb with nothing too much trouble. Although we didn't get the time to use the spa we were very impressed when we had a look around and will definitely make time on our next visit.

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that we had the opportunity on this occasion to upgrade you. Your words are very much appreciated by all the team and given us a great lift!

We hope it is not too long before we have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Thank you again for your encouraging words

Reviewed 11 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Merrion Hotel just before Christmas 2013. We had a wonderful stay and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful. The service was second to none and the old world charm is lovely. It was worth every penny. I also had a treatment at the Tethra Spa. It was fantastic. I cannot praise the Merrion enough and I'm not easily pleased. We will be staying again without a doubt.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

We are very grateful for you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you and your partner enjoyed your trip to the Merrion. We endeavor to provide our guests with as relaxing a stay as possible and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your treatment in the Tethra Spa.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Merrion very soon.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Our first perfect experience was the unexpected call we received from them 2 weeks before our arrival to make sure that we had something planned for New Years Eve as the events were filling up. They took care of our reservation for the Cellar Bar and verified the reservation once we arrived. They also sent us an email a week before we arrived to let us know, so that we were not surprised, that they believed our flight was due to arrive hours before the check-in time and made sure we knew to drop our luggage off and that they would take everything up to our room once it was ready, which we did. (While waiting we enjoyed a wonderful brunch in the Cellar Bar) The food was fantastic, the room was so very comfortable, roomy and clean. The pools was amazing, clean and the sauna off the pool was the perfect temperature. Even though I did not take advantage of the Spa, the staff there were very down to earth, professional and friendly. They recommended a great salt scrub when I asked them for a salt to use in my bath and it was the best scrub I have ever used and it really helped my fatigued winter tired jet lagged body. The bar is open 24 hours, to hotel guests only, and was a wonderful place to unwind and enjoy an Irish Whiskey (try the flight) or one of their many delicious house drinks. The entire hotel is simply beautiful filled with lovely antiques and art. But will really makes this a 5 star hotel is the staff.. they truly made our vacation perfect.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed our popular Sunday Brunch in the Cellar Bar which I will share with our Chef and all the team in the Bar. I am also pleased that our Salt Scrub from the Tethra Spa helped you get over your Jet Lag.

I do hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you again for your encouraging words.