“Worth every penny”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 1 February 2014

It's not often you find a 5star hotel that delivers on every aspect being perfect for both couples and families. I had the pleasure of staying in the Merrion twice recently within a very short period. Firstly without the kids when my husband was doing the Dublin Marathon and secondly as a family for a pre Christmas break. The level of service and attention to detail on both occasions was exceptional. There was a pre marathon menu and post marathon sports massage available during our first visit and the location made the Merrion an ideal choice for marathon runners. On entering the hotel you feel a sense of calm, the atmosphere is genteel and relaxing and the well appointed rooms tastefully decorated.
On our second stay we had two interconnecting rooms which these days is a rarity in hotels and absolutely perfect for our needs. There was a welcome pack for the Children with smoothies and fruit kebabs and mini dressing gowns and slippers in the wardrobe. We did have an unfortunate incident with my son locking himself in the bathroom which was swiftly dealt with by the arrival of a maintenance man and disaster was avoided. We ordered dinner from the room service menu and standard was excellent with a very well thought out menu for the younger ones.
We made daily trips to the hotel pool which was extremely welcoming and the staff made a fuss of my son who is autistic, making sure we had buoyancy aids. We started off with a timid boy afraid of the water and came home different child who was very relaxed in the pool and actually enjoyed swimming. My daughter loved the loungers and felt very grown up sipping her drink at he side of the pool.
Another thing to note is the quietness which is very welcome and hard to achieve in a city centre location.
I cannot praise this hotel and staff enough and will, I am sure be a repeat visitor every time I return to Dublin.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Liddlej
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your family’s experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I must say we get a great “buzz” when we read comments like yours; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay and I am glad to read that your children enjoyed the special amenities.

I do hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again soon for another quiet and relaxing stay.

Peter Mac Cann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,531)

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Arrived here at 2.40pm for a 3pm booking. Everybody was so hospitable and friendly. Was immediately shown to the bar as our table wasnt ready yet. Had a lovely pint while waiting although prices are a bit stiff so beware.
Art tea was absolutely superb. The collection of perfectly made sandwiches, different variety of tea, the smoked salmon, beef, scones, clotted cream and jam was mouth watering. The wonderful topping on this irresistible cake were the deserts. 3 deserts made and designed after 3 artworks in the hotel. Magnificent designs and very tasty to boot.
Add in the tranquil setting in the drawing room and the friendly, knowledgeable staff who couldn't do enough for us and I think this wont be the first or last time the Merrion will be seeing us as customers. Superb.

2  Thank SMinihane

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently about our art afternoon tea and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your experience with your visit to our Drawing Rooms for our Art Afternoon Tea. I have shared this with the Drawing Rooms and Kitchen teams and they say a very big “thank you” as well.

I hope it is not too long before you return to us again.

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

I have been staying in the Merrion on and off for the past 3 years on business and work and i have always meant to write a review on just how absolutely wonderful this hotel is. As a solo lady traveller i find the Merrion simply superb both for high standards of excellence and on amazing staff. From the minute i arrive the doormen greet me by my name and look after me with such kindness and are so welcoming. My luggage is always taken care of and the reception staff are so professional but equally welcoming. As i am alone i never feel nervous or uncomfortable far from it as every member of staff is always so kind and the room service is definitely first class. My room is in the garden wing and its always immaculate and so well taken care of and its just so nice to feel so welcomed everytime i stay. If anyone is a solo traveller and needs a truely wonderful hotel in Dublin then please pick the Merrion as you will certainly feel very safe, relaxed and you really wont want to leave. So i just want to say a big thanks to all the staff for always looking after me so well i really appreciate your wonderful 5* service.and well done to the Merrion. Mrs. G Kearney

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank holidayathotel

Dear Mrs Kearney,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your wonderful comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel and I have shared them with all my colleagues. It really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys their stays as much as you do and I am glad you feel so warmly welcomed.

We are honoured to be your hotel of choice when visiting Dublin and I hope it won’t be too long before we have the opportunity and the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Our first stay in Dublin was a bit challenging as my wife was quite ill; however, the wonderful staff and beautiful hotel made our stay more than comfortable. The Merrion Hotel must pride itself on its exceptional staff, all of whom are quite professional and caring. I was most impressed with the front desk crew, including the doormen; these staff often are the first impression for guests, and the Merrion crew were most helpful. The rooms, hallways, grounds and restaurant were well maintained and spotless.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank boblovesnat

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us and I do hope that your wife has made a full recovery.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to stay.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Great service from every single member of staff I came into contact with. Professional yet friendly. Very comfortable public areas and a great cocktail bar. Cellar restaurant meal was very good. Room was immaculate and good size. Highly recommended.

3  Thank jwlYorkshire

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review following your stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and your visits to our Cellar Restaurant and Cocktail Bar No 23.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

The Merrion is probably one of the best options in Dublin.
We had two adjoining rooms in the newer part overlooking the garden.
Rooms are comfortable, clean and super quiet.
Room service is outstanding, the BEST fish & chips of all of Ireland!
Great place!

Room Tip: The rooms on the front building are much grander and beautiful, but not set up for families.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jeje68
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and we are all thrilled that you consider our Fish and Chips the best in Ireland!

We hope it is not too long before we have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Thank you again for your encouraging words.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We had a wonderful stay in Dublin in part because of this great hotel. Perfect service, we felt pampered from the beginning to the end. Everybody in this hotel is very nice and deserve all the applause. Wonderful food and service at the Cellar restaurant. The Art Tea was perfect, in front of the fireplace, impressive artworks all over the hotel. Not to miss the James Joyce statue in the garden. Will stay there for sure if we have to go back to Dublin and recommend to anyone who love staying in wonderful hotels.

Room Tip: we followed the tip of another Tripadvisor reviewer and stayed at a Superior Room with Garden View a...
3  Thank cabinjohn59

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed The Cellar Restaurant and also our Art Afternoon Tea in front of our open fires in the Drawing Rooms; it makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys their visit as much as you did.

I do hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.