“5+ Star Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reston, Virginia
“5+ Star Hotel”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I can say without reservation that this is THE NICEST hotel that I've ever stayed in anywhere in the world. If I could give this hotel 6 Stars I would.

What makes this hotel so special is the dedication to services and elegance. The property itself is stunning. The hotel marries old world elegance with modern comforts seamlessly. The staff, from the bellmen out front to housekeeping, are all dedicated to providing first class service and they do so with such sincerity.

I had mentioned in my reservation request that I was celebrating a special occasion and the hotel was so kind to upgrade me to a wonderful room French doors overlooking the gardens. The room and bathroom were truly spectacular.

Unfortunately I spent one night at The Merrion. I regret that during my stay I failed to really enjoy all of the amenities that the hotel has to offer. I did dine in the Cellar restaurant that adjoins the hotel and it was a fabulous meal. The food and the service were first rate in a relaxed and enjoyable setting.

While I don't find myself visiting Dublin regularly, I would most certainly stay here again in a heartbeat if given the chance. I would also recommend this hotel to anyone who appreciates tremendous service and the classic elegance of a luxury hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank luxurybarginlover
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic review following your recent stay with us which I was pleased to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed the Cellar Restaurant. Every one of my colleagues’ endeavours to provide our guests with as comfortable a stay as possible and I am glad that you had such an enjoyable time. Your words speak for themselves really and have given the entire team a big boost.

We are delighted that we are your hotel of choice if you return to Dublin and I do hope that we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future and you may have the opportunity to experience all other aspects of the hotel.

Peter Mac Cann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed there recently to celebrate my husbands 40th.
The hotel was fabulous and the service impeccable.
We had dinner in Guibaulds also ... superb
The room was a lovely size and beautifully furnished, but the bathroom was a bit outdated. Dissapointing to not have a proper shower (only one in the bath)
All in all a fabulous experience however.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan F
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share you and your husband’s experience with us.

We are truly honoured that you chose the Merrion Hotel to mark such a special occasion as your husband’s birthday and please pass on my belated birthday wishes.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was a fantabulous hotel in a very well-situated area of town. Within walking distance to all of the good stuff. There were bowls of really fresh Fuji apples all over the place, which were so welcome. The staff was super responsive and the rooms...well, we had two rooms. One was small and overlooked a nasty alley, and the other room was twice the size and overlooked the 5-star courtyard. They cost the same amount. So...ask a lot of questions when you book, I guess.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't give you a room looking onto the grimy alleyway...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and also that you availed of our complimentary apples.

I only hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Merrion a number of occasions and always enjoyed it.
The staff are wonderful & nothing is ever too much trouble for them, especially the concierge & portering staff.
I had the pleasure of spending my birthday there last week & for the first time ate at Patrick Guibaud.
There are few 5 star hotels in Dublin & whilst I’m always a Four Seasons fan the Merrion just has the edge for ambiance.
I love the Shelbourne too & always enjoy a drink in the Saddle room bar but the bar & foyer are always a bit too busy for any meaningful relaxation.
If you want a city centre location, with safe car parking ( always valet ) & exquisite cuisine you really have to just book The Merrion.
Check their own website for regular special offers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bellefast
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for sharing your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words about all the staff here at the Merrion.

Please accept my belated birthday wishes and I do hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon and for many more birthdays to come.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Had the pleasure of staying at The Merrion for about a week. Everything - room, service, food - was excellent. I have stayed in many luxury hotels, but The Merrion is now my absolute favorite. Not flashy. Understated and elegant. The staff is peerless. The property is beautiful. In Dublin, do not stay anywhere else. And when you do go, be sure to ask for a room in the main house. Just gorgeous.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank cmmnj
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments about the team here at The Merrion. It is such a compliment to be thought of as the best hotel in Dublin and both my colleagues and I look forward to the opportunity of looking after you again on your next visit to Dublin.

County Louth, Ireland
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Excellent hotel. The room we had was fabulous, we were complimentary upgraded to a suite to celebrate my fiancées 30th birthday! The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us! I wish we could of stayed another night and I will definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Iucky
Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay.

We are genuinely honoured that you chose to stay with us for your fiancées special birthday; please pass on my best wishes and we look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.

Paris, France
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were amazed by the quality of service and kindness of ALL the people who work in the hotel, whether it be the Concierge, the receptionists, the waiters, the bartenders, room service, housekeeping, spa staff and I really hope I'm not forgetting anyone because they all deserve to be remembered!
We had such a lovely stay, the hotel is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and so comfortable, the courtyard is one of the many cherries on this cake.
We have two young/very young children and the Merrion made us feel at home and they we're so wonderful with the kids, the kids menu is the best I've ever seen, they have little bathrobes and slippers even for toddlers so they can go down to the pool. The pool is so clean and pleasant, the spa treatments are great.
There is not one negative thing I can say about the Merrion, I just can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Our room was in front of the elevator and out of the four nights we stayed, I did not once hear a no...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank K A
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us in such detail.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I was delighted to read that you had time to avail of the facilities here at the Hotel and that you enjoyed them so much.

We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you will have another memorable and relaxing stay with us. Thank you again for your kind words.