“Merrion hotel experience four star not five”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Came in from birr monday night by train good doorman bellman concierge and housekeeping constant internet problems wait staff slow and four star not five hotel is overpriced for what it is
But front desk and concierge five star
Bateso

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,483)

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Have just returned from another short stay with my wife at The Merrion. The whole experience was first class. A three course dinner and breakfast were included in the package and these were excellent. On arrival at the room a cheesecake with a 'Happy Birthday' written in chocolate were waiting for us. This accompanied by the fact that the duty manager Mr Murphy went out of his way to introduce himself on the morning of our departure, congratulate me on my birthday and ask us all about our stay just indicates that extra mile that the hotel goes. A special thank you to the Cellar Bar manager who sorted us out with cocktails (also included in the package) even though my 'retro' request wasn't on the menu! Wouldn't consider anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently following you and your wife’s recent stay and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with Brian Murphy and the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I am glad that you enjoyed the Cocktails in the Cellar Bar.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again for another memorable stay.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at The Merrion. What a wonderful gem of a hotel. Excellent location, central to everything and practically next to the lovely St Stephens Green. The welcome on arrival is very warm and friendly and the receptionist personally escorts you to your room. All the public rooms and bedrooms are beautiful, with every home comfort. Fantastic mini bar, outstanding room service menu (24 hours) complimentary mineral water which is topped up throughout the day. Evening turn down service with even more mineral water etc. the hotel was recommended by a friend who stays here and now I know why.
We enjoyed afternoon tea, two courses, the second course being 'The Art Tea' which is just wonderful. The chef creates 3 pastries based on a choice of 3 pieces of the hotels private art collection. The waitress asked if we were celebrating anything resulting in complimentary champagne and a personalised 'happy birthday' plate being given as it was my wife's birthday. Very nice touch. ( we had also received a beautiful desert 'happy birthday' plate brought to our room, on arrival) Most definitely spoiled !

We didn't leave the hotel much as we enjoyed the lovely surroundings so much and felt very relaxed there. Beautiful pool and spa area, we enjoyed two fantastic cooked breakfasts and dinner in the Cellar restaurant and drinks in the cellar bar. The hotel is immaculate and very well maintained. There is also a lovely garden terrace.

The thing that stands out most about The Merrion, is it's staff. They are so very friendly, pleasant and helpful in a professional and discreet manner. Nothing is too much trouble. They are exceptional and most certainly play a major role in making this hotel such an enjoyable place to stay in Dublin. We will most definitely recommend The Merrion Hotel to friends and family and hope to return again soon.
Thank you all for a wonderful stay!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic review following your recent stay with us which I was pleased to read.

My colleagues and I were delighted to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Your words are so kind and I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great lift.

We are genuinely honoured that you chose the Merrion to celebrate your wife’s birthday and I do hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We have stayed here on several occasions over the last few years and i'm amazed at how the staff make you feel so welcome and as if you've known them for years. The rooms are excellent, service is second to none and the food is fantastic. We tried three of the rival 5 star hotels last year and was disappointed on all occasions, its the merrion all the way for us from now.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. Every one of my colleagues’ endeavours to provide our guests with as comfortable a stay as possible and I am glad that you had such an enjoyable time.

We are delighted that we are your hotel of choice if you return to Dublin and I do hope that we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This review is just of the afternoon tea only as we did not stay at the hotel, though I should add that the hotel reception where we waited to be seated was stunning and the reception staff extremely professional so I would definitely come to try the accommodation should I ever be in Dublin again.

We were seated for our afternoon tea by a charming man, who ended his shift straight after we had placed our order, to be replaced by a blonde lady (I think Polish). We ordered the rose champagne afternoon tea for two. The afternoon tea arrived promptly and had 5 small sandwiches each on the bottom tier and some battenburg, lemon bread and fruit cake on the middle tier along with some very small scones. The top tier had butter, jam and lemon curd on it.

The 5 sandwiches were lovely and, since we had been walking round Dublin all morning and it was, by now, 3:30 we asked for some more. Well, you would have thought we had asked for the chef to come out and do a little dance for us. Having had afternoon tea on numerous occasions at Claridges in London, and also at the Berkeley (for the Pret-a-Portea which is very similar in conception to the Merrion), I had understood that asking for more sandwiches was not only expected but offered! Indeed, at Claridges in January, there were many more sandwiches to start off with than at the Merrion, and when the waiter removed our plate he said "same again?", to which we of course said yes! Anyway, back to this hotel. The waitress looked very shocked and then said she would have to speak to the kitchen, and off she shuffled. She came back about 5 minutes later and said there would be an extra charge of 8 euros a head for more sandwiches or we could order a plate of sandwiches off the menu for 13.50 euros. Having by now ordered two more glasses of champagne, so was spending close to 150 euros (as I was treating my friend), I found this extra charge to be disgusting. Is this hotel really saying that, having spent 150 euros, they could not bring out an extra 2 egg rolls?!! Well yes, that is what they were saying!

By now, still no tea had arrived - in the end, we had to ask the waitress where it was.

Finally, three minuscule cakes turned up (which the menu itself describes as 'miniature', just to give you an idea of size). All forgivable if these cakes had been bite-sized taste sensations. Alas, no, one of the three would not have been out of place at a high-street bakery, given that it was a very plain biscuit with icing on it with a ghost design piped on top - I think Greggs do similar at Halloween.

Anyway, I am sure if the hotel deigns to respond it will by saying something like 'we have very many satisfied customers who find the portion sizes to be more than satisfactory'. Well, the hotel should note this - being two girls in our early thirties we were not satisfied at all. Also, on the assumption that no other guest would have asked for more (given the shock that our request caused it is obviously not a common occurrence), surely the kitchen could have accommodated our lone request and provided the extra sandwiches for free?!

As intimated throughout this review, this is the worst afternoon teas I have had at a high end hotel, in terms of quantity as well as quality.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sian B
Manager_PMacCann, Director of Sales at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience following your recent visit to our Drawing Rooms for our Art Afternoon Tea.

Needless to say we are all disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Having spoken with our Drawing Rooms Team who served you that day, I would agree with you that more flexibility should have been shown to you with regards to having extra finger sandwiches, for this I apologise most sincerely.

As you and your friend were enjoying champagne it is our practice not to pour your tea until you were finished with your champagne. There are two reasons for this; firstly to avoid the tea going cold in the cup and secondly not to compromise the taste of the champagne. Of course if you wanted to have the tea at the same time as the champagne we would have been only too happy to accommodate.

Thank you again for your review which we have taken on board fully. We do listen to our guests and take all feedback very seriously whether it be positive or constructive and always try to respond promptly. I genuinely hope that we might have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Merrion on a future occasion and that we will have the opportunity of restoring your faith in our Art Tea Experience.

In the meantime, should you wish to share any other feedback please do not hesitate to contact me directly here at the Hotel, I am at your disposal.

Garrett Power
Director of Sales

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at this super hotel as a treat for a recent birthday of his. Checjed in early. Room not ready at that stage which didnt matter to us. Our bag was graciously taken care of while we went down tow. On return we were escorted to our room, which had been upgraded to a stupendous suite. What a fab birthday treat. We availed of a treatment in the beautiful Tethra spa which was fab. All in all an experience to behold from checkin to checkout. Staff so friendly and helpful. Well worth a visit. We will certainly be returning. Cant wait

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deirdre M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share you and your husband’s experience with us.

We are truly honoured that you chose the Merrion Hotel to mark such a special occasion as your husband’s birthday and please pass on my belated birthday wishes. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your treatment in the Tethra Spa also.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Visited Merrion Hotel for an afternoon tea in March 2014. What a lovely setting in the heart of Dublin. The service was excellent and selection of the teas was good. Food wise tea for 2 was more than enough for two us. If I'm being slightly picky there could have been more savory options but that just my personal taste. However, the macaroons we had to finish with were extremely beautiful and delicious. I would sincerely recommend this experience if you are visiting in Dublin.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed our Art Afternoon Tea and thank you for your feedback which I have taken fully on board.

I only hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.